- Monday, Dec. 11, 2017
- LOS ANGELES
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has announced that 10 live action short films will advance in the voting process for the 90th Academy Awards®. A record 165 pictures had originally qualified in the category.
The 10 films are listed below in alphabetical order by title, with their production companies:
- “DeKalb Elementary,” Reed Van Dyk, director (UCLA)
- “The Eleven O’Clock,” Derin Seale, director (FINCH)
- “Facing Mecca,” Jan-Eric Mack, director, and Joël Jent, producer (Dschoint Ventschr Filmproduktion)
- “Icebox,” Daniel Sawka, director, and Camille Cornuel, producer (Iceboxthefilmco)
- “Lost Face,” Sean Meehan, director, and Sam McGarry, producer (Soma Films)
- “My Nephew Emmett,” Kevin Wilson, Jr., director (New York University)
- “Rise of a Star,” James Bort, director, and Boris Mendza, producer (Fulldawa Films)
- “The Silent Child,” Chris Overton, director, and Rachel Shenton, writer (Slick Films)
- “Watu Wote/All of Us,” Katja Benrath, director (Hamburg Media School)
- “Witnesses,” David Koch, director (Lux for Film, Diez Films and Paradoxal)
Members of the Short Films and Feature Animation Branch viewed all the eligible entries for the preliminary round of voting.
Short Films and Feature Animation Branch members will now select five nominees from among the 10 titles on the shortlist. Branch screenings will be held in Los Angeles, London, New York and San Francisco in January.
Nominations for the 90th Academy Awards will be announced on Tuesday, January 23, 2018.
The 90th Oscars® will be held on Sunday, March 4, 2018, at the Dolby Theatre® at Hollywood & Highland Center® in Hollywood, and will be televised live on the ABC Television Network at 6:30 p.m. ET/3:30 p.m. PT.
The Oscars also will be televised live in more than 225 countries and territories worldwide.