- NEW YORK
A total of 38 Cube winners were announced in Packaging Design, Product Design and Typography on the third day of the weeklong online ADC 99th Annual Awards celebrating excellence in craft and innovation in all forms of design and advertising.
Best of Discipline for Packaging Design went to Scholz & Friends Berlin for “The Tampon Book: a book against tax discrimination” on behalf of The Female Company. The agency also won two ADC Gold Cubes for the work which shines a light on a financially onerous policy in Germany where female sanitary products are classified as “luxury goods” and taxed at 19%. This is 12% more than the tax applied to caviar, truffles and even oil paintings. In response to this economic injustice, The Female Company, an online store selling female healthcare products designed by women for women, worked with Scholz & Friends to package 15 organic tampons inside a 46-page book, which was taxed at the lower 7% rate for daily necessities. In addition to the tampons, the book includes stories and illustrations about menstruation. The first printing of The Tampon Book sold out in a day, the second in a week.
In Product Design, Superunion London won Best of Discipline for “Notpla” on behalf of Notpla. Jones Knowles Ritchie London was awarded Typography Best of Discipline for Courtney Tulloch “Making Impossible Possible”.
Winners in other disciplines will be announced online each day this week, accompanied by daily Instagram Live conversations between ADC 99th jury members and the creatives behind the biggest winning works.
ADC Gold Cube winners for the third day of the ADC 99th Annual Awards are below; the complete list of all Gold, Silver, Bronze and Merit winners for these disciplines can be viewed here.
Packaging Design (6 Gold, 2 Silver, 5 Bronze, 19 Merit)
- 33 and Branding Beijing “Packaging Made From Bagasse” for Biohyalux in Sustainable / Eco-friendly - Single
- Casa Rex São Paulo “Takkø Café Packaging” for Takkø Café in Food / Beverage - Food - Series
- Dentsu Tokyo “Pocky THE GIFT” for Ezaki Glico Co., Ltd. In Food / Beverage - Food - Series
- Scholz & Friends Berlin “The Tampon Book: a book against tax discrimination” for The Female Company in Design for Good - Packaging Design
- Scholz & Friends Berlin “The Tampon Book: a book against tax discrimination” for The Female Company in Pharma / Health / Wellness
- Superunion Hong Kong “Figlia - Feminine by Nature” for Agricola Dargenio in Food / Beverage - Food - Series
Product Design (1 Gold, 4 Silver, 4 Bronze, 12 Merit)
- Superunion London “Notpla” for Notpla in Design for Good - Product Design
Typography (3 Gold, 7 Silver, 6 Bronze, 23 Merit)
- Jones Knowles Ritchie London “Making Impossible Possible” for Courtney Tulloch in Motion - Single or Series
- SHA inc. Tokyo “The Hidden Essence” for NHK (Japan Broadcasting Corporation) in Poster - Series
- Tien-Min Liao Long Island City “Ribaasu” for Typeji in Typefaces / Font Systems - Single or Series
The ADC 99th Annual Awards is part of The One Club for Creativity, the nonprofit organization supporting and celebrating the global creative community.
The One Club awards shows each have their distinct focus. ADC Annual Awards juries maintain their historic concentration as the champion for craft, design and innovation, while The One Show judges focus on creativity of ideas and quality of execution.