European food retailer Carrefour’s “Black Supermarket” from agency Marcel Paris earned Best of Show distinction and a Grand Award at the New York Festivals Advertising Awards. The Carrefour campaign defied an absurd agrochemical lobby-supported law in much of Europe which denied consumer access to some 97 percent of fruits and vegetables produced, because farmers could only grow and sell what was registered in the Official Catalogue of Authorized Species. In response, Carrefour established “Black Supermarket” sections within their stores which sold illegal fruits and vegetables from "outlaw" farmers, striking a blow for health and biodiversity. The Marcel-conceived and developed campaign positively changed the way the Carrefour brand was perceived and led to a new EU-wide law legalizing the banned produce.
Among the other big New York Festivals Ad Award winners were:
- BBDO Worldwide was named 2019 Global Agency Network of the Year. The prestigious award is presented to the agency network that earns the most awards and produces a high caliber of creative work. The network earned a Grand Award, 10 First Prize Awards, 29 Second Prize Awards, 21 Third Prize Awards and 34 Finalist Certificates.
- Toyota, the Japanese multinational automotive manufacturer, was honored with the New York Festivals 2019 Global Brand of the Year Award for their commitment to creativity and innovation.
- Serviceplan Group Germany is the 2019 Independent Agency of the Year, which is awarded to the non-networked agency that obtains the highest score for entries in all competitions across all mediums.
- Stink Films London earned the title of 2019 Film Production Company of the Year. The award is based on total points scored irrespective of whether the entries have been submitted by the production company, advertising agency or another third party. Stink Films earned this honor for their award-winning work for several prominent agencies including Publicis Italy, ROSAPARK France, and AlmapBBDO Brazil.
The 2019 Executive Jury panel awarded the following agencies with the New York Festivals Grand Award for their innovative entries:
- Activation & Engagement: Marcel France – “Black Supermarket” Carrefour
- Avant-Garde/Innovative: BWM Dentsu Australia – “Project Revoice” ALS Association
- Collaborations & Partnerships: Pages BBDO – “The Day Women Left the Set” La Sirena
- Design: BETC France – “Save our Species” Lacoste
- Digital/Mobile: BWM Dentsu Australia – “Project Revoice” ALS Association
- Film Craft: Dollar Shave Club USA – “Get Ready” Dollar Shave Club
- Print: McCann Spain – “Fresh Prints” Aldi
The Regional Agency of the Year Award honors an advertising agency that earns the highest score for entries in their regions. Regional winners were:
- North America - Saatchi & Saatchi LA/Dallas
- Latin America - AlmapBBDO Brazil
- Asia Pacific - BWM Dentsu Sydney and Cheil Hong Kong (Tie)
- Europe - Marcel France
- MENA – TBWA\RAAD United Arab Emirates
The New York City Award, a new category for NYFA was awarded to celebrate advertising that captures the vibe of New York City. First Prize Award went to BBH for their entry “Planned Parenthood NYC- Freedom to F*ck”.
And each year, New York Festivals, in partnership with the United Nations Department of Public Information, appoints a UN panel to select public service work that exemplifies the aims and ideals of the United Nations. For 2019, the UNDPI Jury recognized the following entries with the UNDPI Award: Philipp und Keuntje GmbH Germany “Shitty Paper Made from Hate” for Goldeimer earned the UNDPI First Prize Award; BETC Brazil “The Dissolving Poster” for Habitat For Humanity was awarded the UNDPI Second Prize Award; and Serviceplan France “Autism Can Work” for ANDROS / Vivre et travailler autrement was honored with the UNDPI Third Prize .
For a complete list of the award-winning entries in 2019, click here.