- NEW YORK
The One Club for Creativity will induct the collaborative trio of basketball legend Michael Jordan, Nike chairman emeritus Phil Knight and Oscar-winning screenwriter, filmmaker and actor Spike Lee into its Creative Hall of Fame next month.
The threesome created work--including famous campaigns starring Jordan with the character Mars Blackmon, portrayed by Lee--that transcended the ad industry to become part of pop culture, and changed the way the world thinks about athletic footwear.
“Michael Jordan, Phil Knight and Spike Lee are responsible for a body of highly engaging, entertaining and impactful advertising, and revolutionized the athletic footwear industry,” said Kevin Swanepoel, CEO, The One Club. “They are richly deserving of this induction as collaborators into the Creative Hall of Fame, and continue to inspire the next generation of creative professionals.”
The Creative Hall of Fame has a rich heritage of honoring the lifetime achievements of creative luminaries in all forms of advertising and design, starting with the induction of Leo Burnett in 1961.
Other 2022 inductees, announced last month, are:
- Joe Duffy, branding and design innovator, founder, chairman, Duffy & Partners;
- John Hunt, Co-founder of internationally recognized South African agency TBWA\Hunt\Lascaris, global creative chair, TBWA\Worldwide
- Cheryl D. Miller, graphic designer, writer, artist, theologian, and decolonizing historian known for her contributions to racial and gender equality in the graphic design field.
- Nancy Vonk and Janet Kestin, former co-chief creative officers at Ogilvy Toronto, co-founders of the Swim leadership lab;
- Carol H. Williams, president, CEO, chief creative officer and owner, Carol H. Williams Advertising, the longest-running US independent multicultural agency.
Educators Hall of Fame
- Ron and Pippa Seichrist, co-founders, Miami Ad School.
The black-tie Creative Hall of Fame induction ceremony, which is a fundraising gala to support The One Club’s many global DEI programs, will take place on the evening of October 27, 2022, at Tisch Skylights at The Shed, Hudson Yards in New York.
Inductees are nominated and voted on by The One Club Board of Directors and current Hall of Fame members. Criteria for being considered is three-fold:
- Impact — Those who have a celebrated body of work. This includes work that has been recognized as the best in the industry over multiple years for multiple brands, can be considered truly innovative and original in thinking and execution, and has an undeniable lasting impact.
- Influence — Those who have used their creativity and leveraged their resources to advance the industry and serve the greater good.
- Inspiration — Those who have had a measurable, positive effect on the next generation of creative leaders, and are known industry-wide as mentors, door-openers, and opportunity-creators.