Welcome to our special Academy Awards SHOOT>e.dition, which includes all 16 feature story installments of SHOOT’s “The Road To Oscars” Series, as well as other related coverage.
The weekly “Road To Oscar” Series began back in October 2019. This series has shared insights from assorted Oscar contenders and/or nominees, including:
- Directors Todd Phillips (Joker), Rupert Goold (Judy), Greta Gerwig (Little Women), Bong Joon Ho (Parasite), Jay Roach (Bombshell), Steven Bognar (American Factory), Ladj Ly (Les Miserables) Find Stories Here
- Cinematographers Roger Deakins, ASC, BSC (1917), Phedon Papamichael, ASC (Ford v Ferrari), Lawrence Sher, ASC (Joker), Mihai Malaimare Jr. (Jojo Rabbit), Cesar Charlone (The Two Popes), Ed Lachman, ASC (Dark Waters), Yorick Le Saux, AFC (Little Women), Eigil Bryld (The Report) Find Stories Here
- Producer Emma Tillinger Koskoff (a two-time Best Picture Oscar nominee this year for The Irishman and Joker) Read Article Here
- Editors Andrew Buckland (Ford v. Ferrari), Tom Eagles (Jojo Rabbit), Affonso Goncalves (Dark Waters), Nick Houy (Little Women), Nat Sanders (Just Mercy), Wyatt Smith (Harriet), Melanie Ann Oliver (Judy) Find Stories Here
- Visual effect supervisor Pablo Helman (The Irishman) Read Article Here
- Production designers Barbara Ling (Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood), Ra Vincent (Jojo Rabbit), Jess Gonchor (Little Women), Mark Tildesley (The Two Popes), Mark Friedberg (Joker), Kave Quinn (Judy) Find Stories Here
- Costume designer Mark Bridges (Joker) Read Article Here
- Composer Alexandre Desplat (Little Women) Read Article Here
- Writers Micah Fitzerman-Blue and Noah Harpster (A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood) Read Article Here
- Sound mixer Tom Fleischman (The Irishman) Read Article Here
This compendium of Oscars season coverage also spans Chat Rooms, a Cinematographers & Cameras feature story, DGA Awards and AFI Fest coverage, even Fall Directors Series profiles. These different elements connected with such artisans as:
- Directors Sam Mendes (1917), Chinonye Chukwu (Clemency), Robert Eggers (The Lighthouse), Marielle Heller (A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood), Lulu Wang (The Farewell), Scott Z. Burns (The Report), Waad al-Kateab (For Sama), Feras Fayyad (The Cave)
- Cinematographers Natasha Braier, ASC, ADF (Honey Boy), Dick Pope, BSC (Motherless Brooklyn)
- Editor Jinmo Yang (Parasite) Read Chat Room interview here
So read on and enjoy. And remember, there’s more Oscars content to come, including SHOOT’s coverage of Academy Awards night on February 9th.
The Road to Emmy
And, stay tuned for SHOOT's 2020 16-Part Road to Emmy Series that will kick off with a special preview feature on March 20th with regular weekly installments of the Series beginning on May 15th.
Click Here to read installments from the 2019 Road to Emmy Series.
Click Here for SHOOT 2020 Emmy FYC Marketing information.