Displaying 1 - 10 of 4268
  • Wednesday, Aug. 5, 2020
This combination of images shows actors Sarah Paulson (l) and Issa Rae. (AP Photo)
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- 

For Bette Midler and Sarah Paulson, making HBO's "Coastal Elites" in pandemic-forced isolation proved an unsettling challenge.

"It was just bizarre, completely bizarre, because it leads you ... down all these rabbit holes of 'What's next? I mean, what else could happen to me?'" Midler said during an online news conference Wednesday about the social satire. It debuts Sept. 12. 

For Midler, the unusual working conditions reinforced how hard the pandemic has slammed the entertainment industry. Most TV and film production came to a standstill in March and is trying to recover, including with socially distanced approaches to taping.

"People used to say that showbiz was depression-proof," Midler said, with moviegoers keeping it afloat during the Great Depression of the 1930s. Turns out it's not, she said, and "now we discovered that we're all out of work!"

"Coastal Elites," a series of monologues written by Paul Rudnick ("Sister More

  • Wednesday, Aug. 5, 2020
Dee Bryant (l) and Olivia Summers
LOS ANGELES -- 

Billed as being the first-ever all female stunt driving team, AWD (The Association of Women Drivers), has launched in Los Angeles with a trio of seasoned female stunt drivers sharing over 15 years of professional stunt driving experience in 500+ commercials and more than 300 films and TV shows. The collective is made up of Olivia Summers, Dee Bryant and Angela Meryl, and offers a diverse range of expertise across all styles and types of driving as well as stunt coordination, working on projects for such top clients as Lexus, Volkswagen, Toyota, BMW, Nike, Pepsi, Jeep, Sony, Adidas, Ford and assorted others. All together, Summers, Bryant and Meryl have doubled for top celebrity talent including Beyonce, Angela Bassett, Halle Berry, Rihanna, Vivica A. Fox, Kristin Wiig, Phoebe Waller-Bridge and Sarah Paulson, among numerous others.

In addition to offering their expert stunt driving talents to commercial and entertainment clients, AWD will provide More

  • Wednesday, Aug. 5, 2020
Ngardy Conteh George (foregound) and Alison Duke
TORONTO -- 

The OYA Media Group, headed by Alison Duke and Ngardy Conteh George, has reaffirmed its commitment to the ongoing support, education and promotion of young Black filmmakers.  The OYA Emerging Filmmakers Program (formally known as Black Youth! Pathway to Industry) is a three-year initiative that provides 20 post-secondary graduated Black youth per year with networking, mentoring, essential skills training alongside industry pros and creative partnerships with TIFF Education, Regent Parks Film Festival Live it to Learn it, NABET 700, VTape, Charles Street Video, LIFT and Trinity Square Video. OYA makes a point of employing emerging Black youth in their original productions such as Mr. Jane and Finch and encourages producers to hire Black youth in projects they direct such as Cool Black North. This year Canadian Screen Award Winning Director Alicia K. Harris will be the Program’s Filmmaker in Residence. Harris will be working with year 3 More

  • Wednesday, Aug. 5, 2020
This Jan. 25, 2011 file photo shows a Kodak slide projector in Philadelphia. Photography company Eastman Kodak is set to receive a $765 million government loan to create a new division that will help make ingredients for use in generic drugs. Kodak Pharmaceuticals will make critical pharmaceutical ingredients that have been identified as essential but have lapsed into chronic national shortage, as defined by the Food and Drug Administration. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke, File)

Eastman Kodak's potentially lucrative deal to help the U.S. government make more generic drugs domestically is threatening to turn into a regulatory headache for the fallen photography giant.

Kodak's depressed stock price surged last week before the company announced its plans to work with President Donald Trump's administration in exchange for a $765 million loan. That prompted Sen. Elizabeth Warren to send a Monday letter asking the Securities and Exchange Commission to investigate whether insider trading laws have been broken.

The SEC is now in the early stages of a probe, according to a report published Tuesday by The Wall Street Journal. The newspaper cited unidentified people familiar with the matter.

The SEC declined to comment on the report.

Kodak said Tuesday that the Rochester, New York, company intends to cooperate with any potential inquiries, without saying whether it has been contacted by the SEC.

The More

  • Wednesday, Aug. 5, 2020
In this combination photo, Alyssa Milano, left, arrives at the premiere of "Insatiable" on Aug. 9, 2018, in Los Angeles and Tony Danza arrives at the Pre-Grammy Gala and Salute To Industry Icons on Jan. 27, 2018, in New York. A sequel to “Who’s the Boss?” is in the works at Sony Pictures Television, with Danza and Milano set to reprise their father-daughter roles from the 1980s-'90s sitcom. (AP Photo)
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- 

A brand new life is ahead for the vintage sitcom "Who's the Boss?" and its devoted fans.

Tony Danza and Alyssa Milano are set to reprise their father-daughter roles for a sequel that's in the works at Sony Pictures Television, the studio said Tuesday.

The original series created by Martin Cohan and Blake Hunter ran from 1984 to 1992 and was a hit for ABC, if not a critical darling. A total of 196 episodes aired over its eight seasons.

The modern-day reboot revolves around Danza's Tony Micelli, a former ballplayer and now retired housekeeper, and Milano's Samantha. The daughter lives in the home where the original series was set and is a single mother, Sony said.

Veteran producer Norman Lear, part of the remake of his original series "One Day at a Time," is among the "Who's the Boss?" producers, as are Danza and Milano.

The new comedy "will explore generational differences, as well as opposing world views and parenting More

  • Tuesday, Aug. 4, 2020
This image released by Disney shows Yifei Liu in the title role of "Mulan." The film is no longer headed for a major theatrical release. The Walt Disney Co. said Tuesday that it will debut its live-action blockbuster on its subscription streaming service, Disney+, on Sept. 4. Customers will have to pay an additional $29.99 on top of the cost of the monthly subscription to rent “Mulan.” (Disney Enterprises, Inc. via AP)

"Mulan" is no longer headed for a major theatrical release. The Walt Disney Co. said Tuesday that it will debut its live-action blockbuster on its subscription streaming service, Disney+, on Sept. 4. 

But this is no "Hamilton": Customers will have to pay an additional $29.99 on top of the cost of the monthly subscription to rent "Mulan."

The company plans to release it in theaters in areas where Disney+ is not available. 

"Mulan," a live-action remake of the animated film, was one of the first films affected by the coronavirus pandemic and the closure of theaters. Originally set for a late March release, the blockbuster has been delayed four times since. 

"In order to meet the needs of consumers during this unpredictable period, we thought it was important to find alternative ways to bring this exceptional family-friendly film to them in a timely manner," Disney CEO Bob Chapek said on the company's earnings call. "We see this More

  • Tuesday, Aug. 4, 2020
Park guests enter the Magic Kingdom during the reopening of Walt Disney World, Saturday, July 11, 2020, in Lake Buena Vista, Fla. Walt Disney Co. reported net income that plummeted dramatically in the third quarter, when it most of its theme parks remained closed and theatrical movie releases were postponed. Net income results were better than the loss analysts expected, however, but revenue missed expectations. (AP Photo/John Raoux)
BURBANK, Calif. (AP) -- 

Walt Disney Co. on Tuesday reported that its net income plummeted dramatically in the three-month period that ended in June when it most of its theme parks were shuttered and theatrical movie releases were postponed.

Still, its bottom-line results were better than analysts expected, although its revenue missed expectations.

Disney has soared to success with the breadth of its media and entertainment offerings, but now it's trying to recover after the coronavirus pandemic pummeled many of its businesses. It was hit by several months of its parks and stores being closed, cruise ships idled, movie releases postponed and a halt in film and video production.

For quarter that ended June 27, the company posted a loss of $4.84 billion, or $2.61 per share, compared to a profit of 79 cents in the prior year quarter. Adjusted to exclude one-time items such as restructuring costs and impairment charges, it net income came to 8 cents per share. More

  • Tuesday, Aug. 4, 2020
In this April 30, 2015, file photo, a woman sits near the logo of Sony Corp. in Tokyo. Japanese electronics and entertainment company Sony Corp. said Tuesday that its April-June profit jumped 53% as its video-game and other online businesses thrived with people staying home due to the coronavirus pandemic. (AP Photo/Eugene Hoshiko, File)
TOKYO (AP) -- 

Japanese electronics and entertainment company Sony Corp. said Tuesday that its April-June profit jumped 53% as its video game and other online businesses thrived with people staying home due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Tokyo-based Sony reported a 233 billion yen ($2.2 billion) profit for the last quarter, up from 152 billion yen the year before.

Sony warned that its movies division would likely suffer for two or three years due to delays in film projects and limits to theater seating because of the pandemic. 

Consumer demand for electronics products has also plunged, including sales of digital cameras, TVs and other gadgets, according to Sony. 

Some factories in China and Malaysia were temporarily shut down and an inability for some employees to travel also was a hindrance, the company said. 

Sony's quarterly sales edged up 2% to 1.97 trillion yen ($18.6 billion). 

Earlier this year, Sony unveiled a prototype More

  • Monday, Aug. 3, 2020
Golden Globes signage appears on the red carpet at the 76th annual Golden Globe Awards on Jan. 6, 2019, in Beverly Hills, Calif. A Norwegian entertainment reporter has sued the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, the organization that gives out the Golden Globe Awards, alleging that it acts as a cartel that stifles competition for its members. Reporter Kjersti Flaa filed the lawsuit in federal court in Los Angeles on Monday. Flaa said that despite reporting on Hollywood for many prominent Norwegian outlets, she has been repeatedly denied membership in the organization because the HFPA won't allow in new members whose work competes with that of existing ones. (Photo by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP, File)
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- 

A Norwegian entertainment reporter on Monday sued the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, the organization that gives out the Golden Globe Awards, alleging that it acts as a cartel that stifles competition for its members. 

Reporter Kjersti Flaa, filed the lawsuit in federal court in Los Angeles, saying that despite reporting on Hollywood for many prominent Norwegian outlets, she has been repeatedly denied membership in the organization. Her suit contends the HFPA consistently rejects qualified new applicants like herself whose work competes with that of existing members.

The suit alleges the organization allocates foreign markets among its members, requires new applicants to pledge not to write for any publication claimed by a member or a rival of that publication, and denies applications that might compete in a market claimed by one of its members. 

"Qualified applicants for admission to the HFPA are virtually always rejected More

  • Monday, Aug. 3, 2020
Trey Burvant
BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) -- 

Louisiana has released coronavirus safety guidelines for movie and TV productions as filming is expected to start returning to the virus outbreak hot spot this month.

Louisiana's economic development department issued the rules Monday.

The regulations say movie and TV productions should have a coronavirus compliance officer, provide testing for workers and require everyone except performers to wear masks. The department calls for using temperature checks to enter production areas, distancing people at the locations and using digital scripts when possible.

Most filming in Louisiana has been on hold since March. But Louisiana's economic development department says some productions are readying to resume filming this month and in September.

Trey Burvant, president of the Louisiana Film and Entertainment Association, said 15 shows were filming in the state before the pandemic. 

Louisiana has had one of the highest per More

MySHOOT Company Profiles