Displaying 21 - 30 of 4055
  • Wednesday, Mar. 18, 2020
Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, speaks as Dr. Deborah Birx, White House coronavirus response coordinator, and President Donald Trump listen during a press briefing with the coronavirus task force, at the White House, Monday, March 16, 2020, in Washington. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- 

First lady Melania Trump and Dr. Anthony Fauci will take part in public service messages aimed at informing Americans about how to protect themselves and others from the coronavirus.

The White House said Wednesday it's joining with major media companies, digital platforms and the Ad Council to share "accurate and timely information directly to the American people" about social distancing, hygiene and mental health.

The announcements, known as PSAs, will direct people to coronavirus.gov, which a centralized source of updated information on the crisis, according to a White House statement.

Media outlets are donating air time, with all content coordinated through the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Department of Health and Human Services.

Fauci is the government's top infectious disease expert. Surgeon General Jerome M. Adams and other administration officials also will take part in the PSAs.

For most More

  • Wednesday, Mar. 18, 2020
Harvey Weinstein arrives at a Manhattan courthouse for jury deliberations in his rape trial, Monday, Feb. 24, 2020, in New York. (AP Photo/John Minchillo)
NEW YORK (AP) -- 

Harvey Weinstein was transferred to a state prison in New York on Wednesday as he begins to serve a 23-year sentence for rape and sexual assault in his landmark #MeToo case.

The disgraced film mogul, who turned 68 on Wednesday, is locked up at the maximum security Wende Correctional Facility near Buffalo, according to state prison officials. He is known behind bars as inmate No. 20B0584.

The prison, six hours by car from Manhattan, is likely just a temporary stop for Weinstein. While he's there, he'll be evaluated to determine which state prison facility meets his security, medical, mental health and other needs.

Weinstein's spokesman called the move "harsh."

Weinstein, convicted Feb. 24 and sentenced last week, had been splitting time between New York City's notorious Rikers Island jail complex and a Manhattan hospital.

Weinstein left court in an ambulance after the guilty verdict and detoured to Bellevue Hospital, More

  • Wednesday, Mar. 18, 2020
Signs hang in the ticket window of a movie theater notifying customers that it is closed, Monday, March 16, 2020 in New York. New York state entered a new phase in the coronavirus pandemic Monday joining with Connecticut and New Jersey to close bars, restaurants and movie theaters starting Monday night. The governors said restaurants and bars will move to take-out and delivery services only. The three states also will limit crowd capacity for social and recreational gatherings to 50 people, effective 8 p.m. (AP Photo/Yuki Iwamura)
NEW YORK (AP) -- 

Faced with a lengthy shutdown due the coronavirus pandemic, movie theaters are requesting relief from the U.S. government. 

The National Organization of Theater Owners, the trade group that represents most of the industry's cinemas, said Wednesday that it's asking for immediate federal help for its chains and its 150,000 employees. The theaters are requesting loan guarantees for exhibitors, tax benefits for employees and funds to compensate for lost ticket sales and concessions. 

NATO said the movie theater industry is "uniquely vulnerable" to the crisis, and needs assistance to weather a near total shutdown of two to three months. 

"This is an unprecedented challenge to the business," said John Fithian, president and chief executive of NATO. "We're looking to Congress and White House to understand this is a cultural institution where people gather." 

Fithian didn't give a specific dollar amount for what the industry is More

  • Tuesday, Mar. 17, 2020
In this Oct. 2, 2008 file photo, actor Stuart Whitman arrives at the Santa Barbara International Film Festival black-tie gala fundraiser in Santa Barbara, Calif. Whitman, who appeared in hundreds of films and television shows, died Monday in Montecito, Calif. at 92. (AP Photo/Phil Klein, file)
NEW YORK (AP) -- 

Stuart Whitman, a prolific lead and character actor who appeared in hundreds of film and television productions and received an Oscar nomination as a pedophile in the 1961 drama "The Mark," has died. 

Whitman died Monday in Montecito, California, at age 92. Son Justin Whitman said that he died of natural causes.

Dark-haired and rugged, with enough of a resemblance to Clark Gable that he was sometimes compared to the "Gone With the Wind" star, Whitman was a steady presence in Westerns, war movies and other action films. His credits included "The Longest Day," "Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines," "The Sound and the Fury" and "Ten North Frederick." On television, he starred in the brief-lived series "Cimarron Strip" and also worked on "Murder, She Wrote," "The Streets of San Francisco" and "The F.B.I."

His greatest acclaim came for "The Mark," although he was not the original choice for his role: Richard Burton dropped out More

  • Monday, Mar. 16, 2020
In this July 13, 2019, file photo, Idris Elba arrives at the Los Angeles premiere of "Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw." Elba said in an Instagram post on Monday, March 16, 2020 that he has tested positive for the coronavirus and is isolating himself, but has shown no symptoms yet. (Photo by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP, File)
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- 

Idris Elba says he has tested positive for the coronavirus. The actor tweeted Monday that he has no symptoms so far and has been isolated since Friday when he found out about his possible exposure. He says he sought out the test after discovering he had come into contact with someone who had been diagnosed with the new coronavirus. 

Elba is the latest high profile celebrity to have tested positive for the virus. Last week, Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson said they had also tested positively in Australia. 

For most people, the new coronavirus causes only mild or moderate symptoms, such as fever and cough. For some, especially older adults and people with existing health problems, it can cause more severe illness, including pneumonia.

Elba in a video message said that his wife has not been tested yet but is feeling OK. 

"This is serious. Now's really the time to think about social distancing, washing your hands," Elba said. 

" More

  • Monday, Mar. 16, 2020
Elad Marish
NEW YORK -- 

In light of the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic, and in keeping with the directives from health officials, local governments and the industry at large, the Association of Music Producers, sponsor of the AMP Awards for Music & Sound, has postponed the upcoming AMP Awards gala, scheduled for May 19 at Sony Hall in New York. 

“We’re taking this step to ensure that our celebration of creative excellence in music and sound poses no risk to our members, colleagues, peers, friends and sponsors,” said Elad Marish, national president of AMP and partner and sr. producer at Swell Music + Sound in San Francisco. “We’re currently exploring possible dates with our venue to see when we can get back on their schedule, most likely at a point this summer, once the pandemic has eased and mass gatherings have been deemed safe to attend.”

AMP will announce its new gala date once it’s been confirmed. While the awards gala will be rescheduled, the competition More

  • Monday, Mar. 16, 2020
People enter an AMC theater Saturday, March 14, 2020, in Los Angeles. Californians wanting to escape the new reality of the coronavirus at the movies, casino or amusement park are running into the six foot rule. State health officials issued new guidance Saturday urging theaters to keep attendance under 250 people and ask strangers to sit six feet apart. (AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez)
NEW YORK (AP) -- 

AMC Theaters, the largest movie chain in North America, will limit attendance at all screenings to 50 people to adhere to the CDC's latest social distancing guidelines. 

Cinemas in New York City and Los Angeles on Sunday were ordered closed by the city's respective mayors. Many art house theaters nationwide have also shuttered. 

But the largest chains in North America — AMC, Regal Cinemas, Cinemark — have tried to keep their doors open. Over the weekend, the chains began to limit theater capacity to 50%. They have pledged to thoroughly clean theaters in between showings. 

AMC said in any theaters smaller than 100 seats, it wouldn't fill them more than half. Regal and Cinemark didn't immediately respond to messages Monday. 

For most people, the new coronavirus causes only mild or moderate symptoms, such as fever and cough. For some, especially older adults and people with existing health problems, it can cause more severe More

  • Thursday, Mar. 12, 2020
In this Jan. 31, 2020 file photo, actor Vin Diesel holds up nine fingers as he attends the the Road to "Fast & Furious 9" Concert in Miami, Fla. Universal Pictures is moving back the release of the ninth Fast and Furious film by a year amid the coronavirus outbreak. The studio on Thursday said that “F9” will open on April 2, 2021. It had been previously scheduled to open on May 22, 2020. The vast majority of people recover from the new virus, but for some, it can cause more severe illness, including pneumonia. (Photo by Scott Roth/Invision/AP, File)
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- 

The Walt Disney Co. officially postponed the theatrical release of "Mulan," while Universal Pictures moved back the release of the ninth Fast and Furious film by a year amid the coronavirus outbreak. "Mulan" was set to come out at the end of the month and "F9" had been scheduled for the end of May.

Disney also said Thursday that it is postponing the releases of "The New Mutants" and "Antlers" as well, citing an "abundance of caution." The studio will announce new dates for a 2020 release later. 

Earlier on Thursday, Universal Pictures decided that the Fast and Furious sequel "F9" will now open next year, on April 2, 2021. 

The Fast and Furious movies are always big earners at the domestic and international box office and the absence of "F9" will impact the 2020 box office in a major way. The past two films have made over $1 billion.

"F9" is the first major summer movie to be delayed because of the outbreak. Other major movies More

  • Wednesday, Mar. 11, 2020
In this Feb. 9, 2020 file photo, Tom Hanks, left, and Rita Wilson arrive at the Oscars at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles. The couple have tested positive for the coronavirus, the actor said in a statement Wednesday, March 11. The 63-year-old actor said they will be "tested, observed and isolated for as long as public health and safety requires." (Photo by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP, File)
NEW YORK (AP) -- 

Tom Hanks and his actress-singer wife Rita Wilson have tested positive for the coronavirus, the actor said in a statement Wednesday. 

Hanks said the couple were in Australia and felt tired, with colds, body aches and slight fevers. "To play things right, as is needed in the world right now, we were tested for the coronavirus and were found to be positive," Hanks said. 

The 63-year-old Oscar-winner said they will be "tested, observed and isolated for as long as public health and safety requires." 

"Not much more to it than a one-day-a-time approach, no?" added Hanks. 

Hanks had been in Australia shooting an untitled Elvis Presley biopic directed by Baz Luhrmann. Hanks plays Presley's manager, Colonel Tom Parker. The film, currently slated for release in October 2021, has suspended production, Warner Bros. said.

Australia has confirmed more than 120 cases of infection, with three deaths from COVID-19.

Hanks and More

  • Wednesday, Mar. 11, 2020
This Feb. 4, 2020 image released by CBS shows host Stephen Colbert, left, greeting the audience during a taping of "The Late Show with Stephen Colbert" in New York. The show, along with other New York-based late night talk shows "The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon" and "The Daily Show with Trevor Noah" will tape their shows without studio audiences due to the new coronavirus. For most people, the new coronavirus causes only mild or moderate symptoms. For some it can cause more severe illness. (Scott Kowalchyk/CBS via AP)
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- 

The ripple effect of the new coronavirus on the entertainment industry reached late-night television and far beyond to the series "Survivor" in Fiji. 

"The Tonight Show" and other late-night talk shows in New York announced Wednesday they will tape without audiences, while CBS said that production on the next season of "Survivor" was being postponed.

In a statement Wednesday, NBC said it was suspending live audiences for Jimmy Fallon's "Tonight Show" and "Late Night with Seth Meyers" starting Monday, citing the safety of guest and employees as the "top priority."

CBS announced that "The Late Show with Stephen Colbert" also will tape without an in-studio audience, as did Comedy Central's "The Daily Show with Trevor Noah," HBO's "Last Week Tonight with John Oliver" and Bravo's "Watch What Happens Live with Andy Cohen." 

"For the past several weeks, 'The Late Show' producers have consulted daily to share information with other More

MySHOOT Company Profiles