Displaying 31 - 40 of 4060
  • Monday, Mar. 16, 2020
Elad Marish
NEW YORK -- 

In light of the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic, and in keeping with the directives from health officials, local governments and the industry at large, the Association of Music Producers, sponsor of the AMP Awards for Music & Sound, has postponed the upcoming AMP Awards gala, scheduled for May 19 at Sony Hall in New York. 

“We’re taking this step to ensure that our celebration of creative excellence in music and sound poses no risk to our members, colleagues, peers, friends and sponsors,” said Elad Marish, national president of AMP and partner and sr. producer at Swell Music + Sound in San Francisco. “We’re currently exploring possible dates with our venue to see when we can get back on their schedule, most likely at a point this summer, once the pandemic has eased and mass gatherings have been deemed safe to attend.”

AMP will announce its new gala date once it’s been confirmed. While the awards gala will be rescheduled, the competition More

  • Monday, Mar. 16, 2020
People enter an AMC theater Saturday, March 14, 2020, in Los Angeles. Californians wanting to escape the new reality of the coronavirus at the movies, casino or amusement park are running into the six foot rule. State health officials issued new guidance Saturday urging theaters to keep attendance under 250 people and ask strangers to sit six feet apart. (AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez)
NEW YORK (AP) -- 

AMC Theaters, the largest movie chain in North America, will limit attendance at all screenings to 50 people to adhere to the CDC's latest social distancing guidelines. 

Cinemas in New York City and Los Angeles on Sunday were ordered closed by the city's respective mayors. Many art house theaters nationwide have also shuttered. 

But the largest chains in North America — AMC, Regal Cinemas, Cinemark — have tried to keep their doors open. Over the weekend, the chains began to limit theater capacity to 50%. They have pledged to thoroughly clean theaters in between showings. 

AMC said in any theaters smaller than 100 seats, it wouldn't fill them more than half. Regal and Cinemark didn't immediately respond to messages Monday. 

For most people, the new coronavirus causes only mild or moderate symptoms, such as fever and cough. For some, especially older adults and people with existing health problems, it can cause more severe More

  • Thursday, Mar. 12, 2020
In this Jan. 31, 2020 file photo, actor Vin Diesel holds up nine fingers as he attends the the Road to "Fast & Furious 9" Concert in Miami, Fla. Universal Pictures is moving back the release of the ninth Fast and Furious film by a year amid the coronavirus outbreak. The studio on Thursday said that “F9” will open on April 2, 2021. It had been previously scheduled to open on May 22, 2020. The vast majority of people recover from the new virus, but for some, it can cause more severe illness, including pneumonia. (Photo by Scott Roth/Invision/AP, File)
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- 

The Walt Disney Co. officially postponed the theatrical release of "Mulan," while Universal Pictures moved back the release of the ninth Fast and Furious film by a year amid the coronavirus outbreak. "Mulan" was set to come out at the end of the month and "F9" had been scheduled for the end of May.

Disney also said Thursday that it is postponing the releases of "The New Mutants" and "Antlers" as well, citing an "abundance of caution." The studio will announce new dates for a 2020 release later. 

Earlier on Thursday, Universal Pictures decided that the Fast and Furious sequel "F9" will now open next year, on April 2, 2021. 

The Fast and Furious movies are always big earners at the domestic and international box office and the absence of "F9" will impact the 2020 box office in a major way. The past two films have made over $1 billion.

"F9" is the first major summer movie to be delayed because of the outbreak. Other major movies More

  • Wednesday, Mar. 11, 2020
In this Feb. 9, 2020 file photo, Tom Hanks, left, and Rita Wilson arrive at the Oscars at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles. The couple have tested positive for the coronavirus, the actor said in a statement Wednesday, March 11. The 63-year-old actor said they will be "tested, observed and isolated for as long as public health and safety requires." (Photo by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP, File)
NEW YORK (AP) -- 

Tom Hanks and his actress-singer wife Rita Wilson have tested positive for the coronavirus, the actor said in a statement Wednesday. 

Hanks said the couple were in Australia and felt tired, with colds, body aches and slight fevers. "To play things right, as is needed in the world right now, we were tested for the coronavirus and were found to be positive," Hanks said. 

The 63-year-old Oscar-winner said they will be "tested, observed and isolated for as long as public health and safety requires." 

"Not much more to it than a one-day-a-time approach, no?" added Hanks. 

Hanks had been in Australia shooting an untitled Elvis Presley biopic directed by Baz Luhrmann. Hanks plays Presley's manager, Colonel Tom Parker. The film, currently slated for release in October 2021, has suspended production, Warner Bros. said.

Australia has confirmed more than 120 cases of infection, with three deaths from COVID-19.

Hanks and More

  • Wednesday, Mar. 11, 2020
This Feb. 4, 2020 image released by CBS shows host Stephen Colbert, left, greeting the audience during a taping of "The Late Show with Stephen Colbert" in New York. The show, along with other New York-based late night talk shows "The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon" and "The Daily Show with Trevor Noah" will tape their shows without studio audiences due to the new coronavirus. For most people, the new coronavirus causes only mild or moderate symptoms. For some it can cause more severe illness. (Scott Kowalchyk/CBS via AP)
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- 

The ripple effect of the new coronavirus on the entertainment industry reached late-night television and far beyond to the series "Survivor" in Fiji. 

"The Tonight Show" and other late-night talk shows in New York announced Wednesday they will tape without audiences, while CBS said that production on the next season of "Survivor" was being postponed.

In a statement Wednesday, NBC said it was suspending live audiences for Jimmy Fallon's "Tonight Show" and "Late Night with Seth Meyers" starting Monday, citing the safety of guest and employees as the "top priority."

CBS announced that "The Late Show with Stephen Colbert" also will tape without an in-studio audience, as did Comedy Central's "The Daily Show with Trevor Noah," HBO's "Last Week Tonight with John Oliver" and Bravo's "Watch What Happens Live with Andy Cohen." 

"For the past several weeks, 'The Late Show' producers have consulted daily to share information with other More

  • Tuesday, Mar. 10, 2020
This image released by Columbia Pictures shows Peter Rabbit, voiced by James Corden and Cottontail in a scene from "Peter Rabbit." Sony Pictures announced Tuesday, March 10, 2020 that it's moving the release date for “Peter Rabbit 2” to August 7 as Hollywood continues to shuffle its upcoming releases due to the coronavirus. It had been set to hit U.K. and European theaters on March 27, and open in the U.S. on April 3. (Columbia Pictures/Sony via AP)
NEW YORK (AP) -- 

Hollywood continued to shuffle its upcoming releases due to the coronavirus, as Sony Pictures on Tuesday announced that it's moving "Peter Rabbit 2" to August. 

"Peter Rabbit 2" had been set to hit U.K. and European theaters on March 27, and open in the U.S. on April 3. Instead, Sony said the sequel to 2018's "Peter Rabbit" will launch on Aug. 7. 

Cinemas have been closed in China for several weeks. On Monday, Italy shuttered all of its theaters. In many countries, health experts are advocating social distancing to help prevent the spread of the virus. 

For most people, the new coronavirus causes only mild or moderate symptoms, such as fever and cough. For some, especially older adults and people with existing health problems, it can cause more severe illness, including pneumonia. 

The vast majority of people recover from the new virus. According to the World Health Organization, people with mild illness recover in about two More

  • Tuesday, Mar. 10, 2020
Jay Tilin
NEW YORK -- 

Goldcrest Post has announced the passing of postproduction industry pioneer Jay Tilin on February 12 after a long illness. Head of production at Goldcrest Post since 2017, Tilin worked in the industry as an editor, visual effects artist and executive for 40 years. His many notable credits include the Netflix series Marco Polo, and the series Treme and True Detective for HBO.

“Jay was in integral part of New York’s postproduction community and one of the top conform artists in the world,” said Goldcrest Post managing director Domenic Rom. “He was beloved by our staff and clients as an admired colleague and valued friend. We offer our heartfelt condolences to his family and all who knew him.”

Tilin began his career in 1980 as an editor with Devlin Productions. He also spent many years at The Tape House, Technicolor, Riot and Deluxe, all in New York. He was an early adopter of many now standard postproduction More

  • Tuesday, Mar. 10, 2020
In this Oct. 1, 2018, file photo, moderator Alex Trebek speaks in Hershey, Pa. "Jeopardy!” and “Wheel of Fortune” will tape without studio audiences in response to the ongoing virus outbreak, a person close to the shows tells The Associated Press, Monday, March 9, 2020. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke, File)
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- 

"Jeopardy!" and "Wheel of Fortune" will tape without studio audiences in response to the ongoing virus outbreak.

A person close to the shows tells The Associated Press Monday that the move is being taken out of an abundance of caution given the spread of the new coronavirus in numerous communities in the United States and abroad. The source spoke on condition of anonymity to describe the decision.

The popular gameshows are the latest television project to shift plans due to the new coronavirus. Last week, CBS announced that it was suspending production on "The Amazing Race" in response to the outbreak.

The shows tape months in advance, so the presumably quieter shows will not immediately be noticeable to viewers at home. Both are filmed at a studio in Culver City, California.

For most people, the new coronavirus causes only mild or moderate symptoms, such as fever and cough. For some, especially older adults and people with More

  • Monday, Mar. 9, 2020
In this June 7, 2019, file photo, Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey leaves after his talk with French President Emmanuel Macron at the Elysee Palace in Paris. Twitter said Monday, March 9, 2020, it's reached an investment deal with Silver Lake and Elliott Management that will keep Dorsey as the social media company's CEO. (AP Photo/Francois Mori, File)
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- 

Twitter says it's reached an investment deal with Silver Lake and Elliott Management that will keep Jack Dorsey as the social media company's CEO.

Twitter Inc. said Monday that Silver Lake will make a $1 billion investment in the company. That money, along with cash on hand, is expected to be put toward a $2 billion stock buyback.

Elliott Management Corp., which owns about 4% of Twitter's stock, will get one seat on Twitter's board. Silver Lake will also get a board seat.

Prior media reports had suggested Elliott was planning to nominate four people to Twitter's board and oust Dorsey.

But the new agreement makes it seem likely he will stay. Twitter has lagged behind businesses like Facebook and Google in terms of user growth and advertising revenue. CEO Dorsey left the company to start payments company Square Inc., but returned in 2015. Now he splits his time between Square and Twitter. 

Last week the company said it More

  • Saturday, Mar. 7, 2020
Actor Jussie Smollett appears in a courtroom at the Leighton Criminal Court Building in Chicago on Feb. 24, 2020, where he plead not guilty to restored charges that accuse him of staging a racist, homophobic attack against himself and falsely reporting it to police. (Brian Cassella/Chicago Tribune via AP, Pool)
CHICAGO (AP) -- 

The Illinois Supreme Court on Friday refused to throw out charges against former "Empire" actor Jussie Smollett that accuse him of staging a racist, homophobic attack against himself and rejected his effort to remove the special prosecutor in the case. 

Smollett's lawyers argued in an emergency petition that Cook County Circuit Judge Michael Toomin overstepped his authority and misinterpreted the law when he ordered the appointment of a special prosecutor. The court did not explain its decision to reject the arguments by Smollett's lawyers.

Smollett. 37, was initially accused by Cook County prosecutors of falsely reporting to police that the alleged phony attack was real. Sixteen counts of disorderly conduct originally filed against him were dismissed and Toomin found Smollett's first prosecution was invalid. 

After another investigation by special prosecutor Dan Webb, six counts of the same charges we filed against Smollett, to More

MySHOOT Company Profiles