Displaying 61 - 70 of 4150
  • Wednesday, Apr. 22, 2020
In this Nov. 22, 2009 file photo, Whitney Houston performs at the 37th Annual American Music Awards in Los Angeles. A feature film about Houston’s life is in the works from Anthony McCarten, the screenwriter of “Bohemian Rhapsody.” The biopic is being shepherded by the Whitney Houston Estate, music producer Clive Davis and Primary Wave Music, the partners said Wednesday. (AP Photo/Matt Sayles)
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- 

A feature film about Whitney Houston's life is in the works from the screenwriter of "Bohemian Rhapsody." The biopic is being shepherded by the Whitney Houston Estate, music producer Clive Davis and Primary Wave Music, the partners said Wednesday. 

"I Wanna Dance with Somebody" will follow Houston from obscurity to pop stardom and promises to be "frank about the price that super-stardom exacted," according to the announcement.

"From all my personal and professional experience with Whitney from her late teenage years to her tragic premature death, I know the full Whitney Houston story has not yet been told," Davis said in a statement. He said Anthony McCarten's script will finally reveal the "whole Whitney whose vocal genius deeply affected the world while she fiercely battled the demons that were to be her undoing."

Houston sold over 200 million records worldwide during her 25-year career and won six Grammys, 16 Billboard Music More

  • Wednesday, Apr. 22, 2020
This Feb. 9, 2020 file photo shows actress Charlize Theron at the Vanity Fair Oscar Party in Beverly Hills, Calif. Theron and her foundation are committing $1 million to coronavirus relief efforts, with half dedicated to fighting gender-based violence resulting from the outbreak. (Photo by Evan Agostini/Invision/AP, File)
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- 

Actress Charlize Theron and her foundation are committing $1 million to coronavirus relief efforts, with half of that dedicated to fighting gender-based violence resulting from the outbreak.

The Charlize Theron Africa Outreach Project announced Wednesday that under an initiative called Together For Her, $500,000 would go to domestic violence shelters and community-based programs fighting gender-based violence. Advocates have warned that domestic abuse is a major danger during the pandemic as lockdown orders sometimes mean women at risk are confined at home with their abusers, with little means of escape. Children are also imperiled. 

The Oscar-winning actress will be supporting efforts in the United States and in her home country of South Africa, according to a statement from the foundation. Additional funds will be designated both domestically and internationally through two partner organizations, CARE and the Entertainment Industry More

  • Tuesday, Apr. 21, 2020
This image released by Warner Bros. Pictures shows characters Shaggy, voiced by Will Forte, left, and Scooby-Doo, voiced by Frank Welker, in a scene from the animated film "Scoob!" The Scooby-Doo film will bypass theaters and premiere directly on digital platforms, Warner Bros. said Tuesday, making it the latest studio to experiment with an on-demand release during the pandemic shutdown. (Warner Bros. Pictures via AP)
NEW YORK (AP) -- 

The animated Scooby-Doo film "Scoob!" will bypass theaters and premiere directly on digital platforms, Warner Bros. said Tuesday, making it the latest studio to experiment with an on-demand release during the pandemic shutdown. 

"Scoob!" had originally been set to open in theaters on May 15. But instead, on the same date, it will be available for a $20 digital rental and $25 digital purchase. 

Warner Bros. joins Universal Pictures and the Walt Disney Co. in testing the video on demand waters while theaters remain shuttered and moviegoers are locked down at home. So far, the largest movies to make the movie have been family films. Universal earlier this month sent "Trolls World Tour" to on-demand. Disney has said "Artemis Fowl" will go straight to streaming on Disney Plus in June. 

"While we're all eager to be able to once again show our films in theaters, we're navigating new, unprecedented times which call for creative thinking and More

  • Tuesday, Apr. 21, 2020
This cover image released by Scholastic shows "The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes," a Hunger Games novel by Suzanne Collins, to be published on May 19. Lionsgate is working on a film adaptation of the "Hunger Games" prequel. Collins' novels have sold tens of millions of copies and the film versions, which starred Jennifer Lawrence as heroine Katniss Everdeen, have earned nearly $3 billion. (Scholastic via AP)
NEW YORK (AP) -- 

The next "Hunger Games" book is coming out next month, and a movie version is now being planned. 

Lionsgate is working on an adaptation of Suzanne Collins' "The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes," a prequel to her three "Hunger Games" novels that will be released May 19. Collins' Dystopian series, which includes "The Hunger Games," "Catching Fire" and "Mockingjay," has sold tens of millions copies worldwide and is the basis for four Lionsgate movies that earned nearly $3 billion and starred Jennifer Lawrence as the heroine Katniss Everdeen. 

For the new movie, Collins will serve as executive producer and write the film's treatment. The screenplay will be by Michael Arndt, an Oscar winner for "Little Miss Sunshine," a nominee for "Toy Story 3" and one of the writers for the adaptation of "Catching Fire." Francis Lawrence returns as director after making the three previous "Hunger Games" movies. Nina Jacobson will again produce, along with Brad More

  • Tuesday, Apr. 21, 2020
DP Mark MacEwen lensing BBC’s Seven Worlds, One Planet, which was nominated in the Environmental and Wildlife category of the 2020 Rockie Awards International Program Competition.
BANFF, ALBERTA, Canada -- 

The Banff World Media Festival (BANFF) has unveiled the full list of nominees for the 2020 Rockie Awards International Program Competition, recognizing excellence in television and digital media from around the world. The Rockies Program Competition ceremony will stream live on Monday, June 15. 

The Rockie Awards International Program Competition is one of the largest awards programs of its kind, juried by a panel of 150 international industry professionals and covering all major genres. The Rockie Awards Grand Jury chooses the coveted Grand Jury Prize, selected from the top-scoring programs across the entire field of nominees. This year’s Grand Jury includes: Kathleen Finch, chief lifestyle brands officer, Discovery, Inc., Lisa Godfrey, VP, original content, Corus Entertainment Inc., Devin Griffin, general manager, BET+, BET Networks, Paul Mortimer, head of digital channels and acquisitions, ITV, Jill Offman, managing director, Viacom More

  • Monday, Apr. 20, 2020
This Oct. 27, 2019 file photo show actor Robert Pattinson at the Governors Awards in Los Angeles. Warner Bros. is delaying a batch of releases including “The Batman” and “The Sopranos” prequel “The Many Saints of Newark.” The studio said Monday, April 20, 2020 that “The Sopranos” film will be pushed from September 2020 to a March 2021 release, while “The Batman” starring Pattinson will be delayed four months to October 2021. (Photo by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP, File)
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- 

Warner Bros. is delaying a batch of theatrical releases including "The Batman" and "The Sopranos" prequel "The Many Saints of Newark." 

The studio says Monday that "The Sopranos" film will be pushed from September 2020 to a March 2021 release, while "The Batman" starring Robert Pattinson will be delayed four months to October 2021.

Many studios have shuffled release dates due to both shuttered productions and the closure of movie theaters to prevent the spread of the coronavirus. 

This year also lost the Will Smith drama "King Richard," which has been moved back a year to November 2021, and a biographical drama about Black Panthers activist Fred Hampton set for August which now has no release date. 

Baz Luhrmann's yet-to-be-titled Elvis film that Tom Hanks was shooting in Australia when he and Rita Wilson tested positive for COVID-19  was delayed a month to November 2021.

The studio has not abandoned summer 2020 More

  • Monday, Apr. 20, 2020
This June 20, 2013 file photo shows, photographer Peter Beard, flanked by Zara Beard, left, and Nejma Khanum at a screening of "Blackfish" in New York. Beard has been found dead nearly a month after being reported missing from his cliff-side home at the tip of Long Island. He was 82. His family posted a statement on Beard's website Sunday night saying “He died where he lived: in nature.” Beard was best known for his photos of African wildlife, taken in the decades when he lived and worked at his tent camp in Kenya. (Photo by Andy Kropa/Invision/AP, File)
NEW YORK (AP) -- 

Artist, adventurer and celebrated wildlife photographer Peter Beard was found dead in woods near his cliff-side home at the tip of Long Island nearly a month after his family reported him missing. He was 82.

"He died where he lived: in nature," his family said in a statement posted on Beard's website Sunday night.

In recent years, the once-swashbuckling explorer had developed dementia and had at least one stroke, according to the New York Times. His family confirmed that a body found Sunday in Camp Hero State Park in Montauk was Beard's.

The Suffolk County Medical Examiner hasn't made an official identification but East Hampton Police Capt. Christopher Anderson said Monday "we're reasonably confident" it's Beard. He said the cause of death hasn't been determined but neither foul play nor suicide is suspected.

"Peter defined what it means to be open: open to new ideas, new encounters, new people, new ways of living and being More

  • Monday, Apr. 20, 2020
Australia's Treasurer Josh Frydenberg, right, with Minister for Communications Paul Fletcher speaks in Canberra, Monday, April 20, 2020. Global digital platforms Google and Facebook will be forced to pay for news content in Australia, the government said on Monday as the coronavirus pandemic causes a collapse in advertising revenue. (Mick Tsikas/AAP Image via AP)
CANBERRA, Australia (AP) -- 

Global digital platforms Google and Facebook will be forced to pay for news content in Australia, the government said Monday, as the coronavirus pandemic causes a collapse in advertising revenue.

Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission would release in late July draft rules for the platforms to pay fair compensation for the journalistic content siphoned from news media.

Frydenberg said he believed that Australia could succeed where other countries, including France and Spain, had failed in making Google and Facebook pay.

"We won't bow to their threats," Frydenberg told reporters. "We understand the challenge that we face. This is a big mountain to climb. These are big companies that we are dealing with, but there is also so much at stake, so we're prepared for this fight."

The ACCC had attempted to negotiate a voluntary code by which the global giants would agree to pay traditional More

  • Saturday, Apr. 18, 2020
In this February 20, 2018 file photo the American director and animated film producer Gene Deitch poses for the photographer with his book of memories 'For the Love of Prague' in Prague, Czech Republic. Deitch, living in Prague with his Czech wife, animator and producer Zdenka Najmanova, has died at the age of 95 years. Deitch directed Czechoslovak-American animated film 'Munro' that won an Oscar for the Best Animated Short Film in 1961. (Vit Simanek/CTK via AP)
PRAGUE (AP) -- 

Gene Deitch, an American Oscar-winning illustrator, animator, film director and producer has died. He was 95.

His Czech publisher, Petr Himmel, told The Associated Press Deitch died unexpectedly during the night from Thursday to Friday in his apartment in Prague's Little Quarter neighborhood. No further details were given.

Deitch's movie "Munro" won the Academy Award for Best Animated Short Film in 1960. He was also nominated for the same award twice in 1964 for "Here's Nudnik" and "How to Avoid Friendship."

Earlier, he had created the "Tom Terrific" series, while the "Sidney's Family Tree," which he co-produced was nominated for an Academy Award in 1958.

Born Aug. 8, 1924, in Chicago, Deitch arrived in Prague in 1959 intending to stay for 10 days, but fell in love with his future wife, Zdenka, and stayed in the Czechoslovakian capital.

Working from behind the Iron Curtain, he directed 13 episodes of "Tom and Jerry" More

  • Friday, Apr. 17, 2020
This July 20, 2018 file photo shows signage for Comic-Con International in San Diego. This year’s San Diego Comic-Con has been canceled due to coronavirus-related restrictions around large gatherings. Organizers say they are planning for the festival to return in July 2021. (Photo by Christy Radecic/Invision/AP, File)
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- 

This year's San Diego Comic-Con has been canceled due to coronavirus-related restrictions around large gatherings. Organizers say they are planning for the festival to return in July 2021.

The annual confab was scheduled to take place from July 23 through July 26 in and around the San Diego Convention Center. California Governor Gavin Newsom said Tuesday that he was not optimistic about a return of "mass gatherings" for things such as sports events, concerts and fairs in 2020. 

"Continuous monitoring of health advisories and recent statements by the Governor of California have made it clear that it would not be safe to move forward with plans for this year," organizers said in a statement Friday.

Comic-Con attracts over 135,000 people — often elaborately costumed — to the Gaslamp District every year for the comic book convention which last year celebrated its 50th anniversary. Social distancing would be difficult to manage at the More

MySHOOT Company Profiles