Displaying 31 - 40 of 4419
  • Tuesday, Oct. 6, 2020
This image released by Warner Bros. Entertainment shows Timothee Chalamet, left, and Rebecca Ferguson in a scene from "Dune." Warner Bros. said late Monday that its sci-fi pic “Dune” will now open in October 2021, instead of this December. The studio also pushed back it’s “Matrix” sequel by 8 months to late 2021 and “The Batman” to 2022. (Chia Bella James/Warner Bros. Entertainment via AP)

The 2020 theatrical release calendar is getting even slimmer in the wake of the announcement that Regal cinemas are temporarily closing, although AMC, North America's largest theater chain, says it will remain open.

Warner Bros. said late Monday that its sci-fi pic "Dune" will now open in October 2021, instead of this December. The studio also pushed back its "Matrix" sequel by 8 months to late 2021 and "The Batman" to 2022. 

AMC Entertainment reiterated its commitment to stay open and cited a slew of upcoming new releases that it will be playing, including this weekend's new films "The War With Grandpa," with Robert De Niro, and "Yellow Rose." Roughly 80% of its U.S. locations are currently open. 

With the recent exit of the next James Bond film, that leaves a mere handful of big films set to still open in 2020: Pixar's "Soul," on Nov. 20, Universal's "The Croods: A New Age," on Nov. 25, Disney's "Death on the Nile," on Dec. 18 and More

  • Monday, Oct. 5, 2020
This combination of 2018-2020 photos shows, from left, Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey, Google CEO Sundar Pichai, and Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg. They are expected to testify in an Oct. 28, 2020 Senate hearing on tech companies’ control over hate speech and misinformation on their platforms. (AP Photo/Jose Luis Magana, LM Otero, Jens Meyer)
WASHINGTON (AP) -- 

The CEOs of technology giants Facebook, Google and Twitter are expected to testify for an Oct. 28 Senate hearing on tech companies' control over hate speech and misinformation on their platforms.

The Senate Commerce Committee voted last week to authorize subpoenas for Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg, Sundar Pichai of Google and Twitter's Jack Dorsey to force them to testify if they didn't agree to do so voluntarily. Spokespeople for the companies said Monday that the CEOs will cooperate. 

The hearing "must be constructive and focused on what matters most to the American people: how we work together to protect elections," Twitter said in a tweet in its policy channel.

The hearing will come less than a week before Election Day. It marks a new bipartisan initiative against Big Tech companies, which have been under increasing scrutiny in Washington and from state attorneys general over issues of competition, consumer privacy and hate More

  • Monday, Oct. 5, 2020
In this July 2, 2008 photo, actor Thomas Jefferson Byrd appears during a portrait session in Atlanta. Police say Byrd, known for his roles in many Spike Lee films and who was nominated for a Tony Award in 2003, was shot dead in Atlanta on Saturday. He was 70. (Marcus Yam/Atlanta Journal-Constitution via AP)
ATLANTA (AP) -- 

Actor Thomas Jefferson Byrd, known for his roles in Spike Lee films, has been shot and killed in Atlanta, police said Sunday.

Police responded to a call around 1:45 a.m. Saturday and found the 70-year-old Byrd unresponsive with multiple gunshot wounds in his back, police spokesman Officer Anthony Grant said in a statement. 

Responding paramedics pronounced him dead at the scene on the city's southwest side, where he lived. 

Grant said homicide detectives were working to determine the circumstances surrounding the shooting and declined to provide further details. 

In an Instagram post Sunday, Lee said he was sad to announce Byrd's death and recalled how the actor "did his thang" in his films including "Clockers," "Chi-Raq," "Bamboozled," "He Got Game" and "Da Sweet Blood of Jesus," among others.

"May we all wish condolences and blessings to his family," Lee wrote. "Rest in peace, Brother Byrd."

Lee also shared More

  • Monday, Oct. 5, 2020
This June 18, 2020 file photo shows the logo of a Cineworld cinema in Northampton, England. (Mike Egerton/PA via AP, file)
LONDON (AP) -- 

Shares in the company that owns the Regal, Cineworld and Picturehouse movie theaters fell as much as 58% after it said it will temporarily close the venues because delays to the latest James Bond film left it with few blockbusters to attract customers during the pandemic.

Cineworld Group Plc said Monday that 536 Regal cinemas in the U.S. and 127 Cineworld and Picturehouse venues in the U.K. would close on Thursday. Some 45,000 employees are affected.

The company has high debts and is, like the wider industry, struggling with the effects of the pandemic. It said that with major markets such as New York closed and no guidance on when they will reopen, "studios have been reluctant to release their pipeline of new films."

Without these releases, the company can't give customers "the breadth of strong commercial films necessary for them to consider coming back to theaters against the backdrop of COVID-19.''

"This is not a decision More

  • Sunday, Oct. 4, 2020
This June 18, 2020 file photo shows the logo of a Cineworld cinema in Northampton, England. (Mike Egerton/PA via AP, file)
LONDON (AP) -- 

Cinema chain Cineworld said Sunday it is considering closing all its movie theaters in Britain and the United States, after the postponement of the new James Bond film left a big hole in schedules.

Cineworld Group PLC owns 543 Regal cinemas in the U.S. and 128 Cineworld venues in the U.K. and Ireland.

It said it was "considering the temporary closure of our U.K. and U.S. cinemas, but a final decision has not yet been reached."

"Once a decision has been made we will update all staff and customers as soon as we can."

The statement came after the Sunday Times reported that Cineworld's U.K. and Ireland theaters will shut indefinitely in the coming weeks, putting up to 5,500 people out of work.

The newspaper and other outlets reported that Cineworld plans to write to U.K. Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden saying cinema has become "unviable" because studios are postponing blockbuster releases because of the coronavirus More

  • Sunday, Oct. 4, 2020
This June 18, 2020 file photo shows the logo of a Cineworld cinema in Northampton, England. U.K. media say cinema chain Cineworld will close all its U.K. venues after the postponement of the new James Bond film left a big hole in theaters’ schedules. The Sunday Times reported on Sunday, Oct, 4 that Cineworld’s 128 theaters in the U.K. and Ireland will shut in the coming weeks, putting up to 5,500 people out of work. (Mike Egerton/PA via AP, file)
LONDON (AP) -- 

Britain's largest cinema chain, Cineworld, will close all its U.K. venues after the postponement of the new James Bond film left a big hole in theaters' schedules, U.K. media reported Sunday.

The Sunday Times reported that Cineworld's 128 theaters in the U.K. and Ireland will shut indefinitely in the coming weeks, putting up to 5,500 people out of work.

The newspaper and other outlets reported that Cineworld plans to write to Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden saying cinema has become "unviable" because studios are postponing blockbuster releases because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Cineworld did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Staff said they had not been informed or consulted.

"If these reports are true, then the first people Cineworld should be informing are their staff who will suffer as a result -- not the Sunday newspapers," said Philippa Childs, head of the entertainment workers' union BECTU. More

  • Friday, Oct. 2, 2020
This is a Wednesday, Oct. 28, 2015 file photo of actor Daniel Craig poses for the media as he arrives for the German premiere of the James Bond movie "Spectre" in Berlin, Germany. The release of the James Bond film “No Time to Die” has been delayed again, this time to 2021, because of the effects of COVID-19 on the theatrical business. MGM, Universal and Bond producers, Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli, said on Twitter Friday that the 25th instalment in the franchise will now open globally on April 2, 2021. (AP Photo/Michael Sohn, File)

The release of the James Bond film "No Time to Die" has been delayed again, this time to 2021, because of the effects of COVID-19 on the theatrical business. 

MGM, Universal and Bond producers, Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli, said on Twitter on Friday that the 25th installment in the franchise will now open globally on April 2, 2021.

"No Time To Die" was originally supposed to open in April 2020 but was pushed back to Nov. 12 in the U.K. and Nov. 20 in the U.S. It was one of the first Hollywood films to abandon its release before cinemas in the U.S. shut down in mid-March because of the coronavirus pandemic. The film from director Cary Joji Fukunaga stars Daniel Craig as 007, Rami Malek, Lashana Lynch and Ana de Armas. 

Other major studios have made similar decisions over the past few weeks. 

Cinemas remain closed in New York and Los Angeles, two of North America's biggest markets. 

Ticket sales for Warner Bros More

  • Friday, Oct. 2, 2020
This image released by Warner Bros. Entertainment shows Anne Hathaway, center, and Stanley Tucci in a scene from “Roald Dahl’s The Witches," making its U.S. premiere on HBO Max on October 22. (Warner Bros. Entertainment via AP)

The Robert Zemeckis adaptation of "Roald Dahl's The Witches" has found a new home on HBO Max this month just in time for Halloween. 

Warner Bros. said Friday that "The Witches" will debut on the subscription streaming service, owned by parent company WarnerMedia, on Oct. 22. 

The dark fantasy starring Anne Hathaway, Octavia Spencer, Stanley Tucci and Kristin Chenoweth was originally intended as a theatrical release, but like many others was unset due to the effects of COVID-19 on movie theaters. 

Dahl's 1983 novel about an orphaned boy who discovers a coven of witches that hate children was previously adapted for the big screen in 1990 by director Nicolas Roeg. It starred Angelica Huston, Mai Zetterling and Rowan Atkinson and was a box office flop, despite its critical acclaim. 

This new version has actor Jahzir Bruno playing the boy who must try to stop the witches from turning the world's children into mice. Chris Rock More

  • Friday, Oct. 2, 2020
Kate Stanners
LONDON -- 

D&AD announced that the 58th D&AD Annual will be published exclusively in a digital format, in a move to make the Annual a widely accessible source of inspiration, education and celebration following a year of unprecedented challenge for the creative industries due to the coronavirus pandemic. The digital Annual will continue to showcase the best creative work from across the design and advertising industry, and heralds a more accessible and sustainable future for D&AD. 

Since 1962, the D&AD Annual has brought together the most outstanding creative work and served as a bible of inspiring projects from the global design and advertising industry. This year, D&AD president Kate Stanners has collaborated with Studio Dumbar to create a digital Annual that continues the publication’s legacy of inspiring both established and emerging creatives. As a charitable organization, D&AD’s primary mission is to channel their resources More

  • Thursday, Oct. 1, 2020
This Thursday, Jan. 3, 2013, file photo shows Google's headquarters in Mountain View, Calif. Google said Thursday, Oct. 1, 2020, it will pay publishers $1 billion over the next three years for their news content. The internet search giant said it has signed agreements for its news partnership program with nearly 200 publications in Germany, Brazil, Argentina, Canada, the U.K. and Australia. (AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez, File)
LONDON (AP) -- 

Google will pay publishers $1 billion over the next three years for their news content. 

The internet search giant said said Thursday that it has signed agreements for its news partnership program with nearly 200 publications in Germany, Brazil, Argentina, Canada, the U.K. and Australia. 

"This financial commitment - our biggest to date - will pay publishers to create and curate high-quality content for a different kind of online news experience," CEO Sundar Pichai said in a blog post. 

On Thursday, Google's News Showcase is launching in Brazil and Germany, featuring story panels that let publishers package stories with features like timelines. It will appear first on Google News on Android, then Apple iOS, before it is rolled out to Google Discover and Search. 

The funding builds on a news licensing program launched by Google in June,  as it seeks defuse tensions with the beleaguered news industry. News companies want Google More

MySHOOT Company Profiles