Displaying 1 - 10 of 4012
  • Thursday, Feb. 27, 2020
This Oct. 16, 2017 file photo shows Dick Wolf at the Broadcasting & Cable Hall of Fame Awards 27th Anniversary Gala in New York. NBC has given three-season pickups to Wolf's “Chicago Fire,” “Chicago P.D.," “Chicago Med” and “Law & Order: Special Victims Unit. (Photo by Andy Kropa/Invision/AP, File)
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- 

NBC is giving three-year renewals to its drama series from veteran producer Dick Wolf, including the perennial "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit."

The pickups for the "Law & Order" series and Wolf's three Chicago-set dramas are part of a new five-year deal to keep his Wolf Entertainment production company at Universal Television. 

Universal Television has been his studio home base for 36 years, NBC said Thursday.

"Dick Wolf has proven time and time again that he makes shows audiences love," NBC Entertainment Chairman Paul Telegdy said in a statement.

"Law & Order: SVU," which stars Mariska Hargitay and is in its 21st season, already holds the record for longest-running, live-action prime-time TV series. The other renewed series, "Chicago Fire," "Chicago P.D." and "Chicago Med," are relative kids, ranging from five to eight seasons so far.

Wolf's deal follows his recent agreement with NBCUniversal's More

  • Thursday, Feb. 27, 2020
This image released by Disney Plus shows characters from a revival of the new animated series "The Proud Family: Louder and Prouder" The new series will feature original cast members including Kyla Pratt as Penny Proud and Tommy Davidson and Paula Jai Parker as her parents, Oscar and Trudy. (Disney+ via AP)
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- 

The Proud family is making a comeback.

The Disney Plus streaming service said Thursday it's ordered a revival of the animated series about an African American teenager and her extended family.

The new series, "The Proud Family: Louder and Prouder," will feature original cast members including Kyla Pratt as Penny Proud and Tommy Davidson and Paula Jai Parker as her parents, Oscar and Trudy. 

Soleil Moon Frye is returning as Penny's pal Zoey Howzer, and Cedric the Entertainer will reprise the role of Uncle Bobby. 

"In our minds, the show never really went away, as we still had tons of stories left to tell. It's the perfect time to bring back this show, and we can't wait to take fans, old and new alike, on this journey with us," executive producers Bruce W. Smith and Ralph Farquhar said in a joint statement.

Production on the series is underway, with a release date yet to be announced.

Episodes of the original 2001 More

  • Thursday, Feb. 27, 2020
In this May 2, 2018 file photo, director Roman Polanski appears at an international film festival, where he promoted his latest film, "Based on a True Story," in Krakow, Poland. The entire leadership of the Cesar Awards, France's version of the Oscars, stepped down Thursday Feb. 13, 2020, in a spat over both its opaque decision-making process and controversial director Roman Polanski, whose new film, “An Officer and a Spy”, leads this year's nominations. (AP Photo, file)
PARIS (AP) -- 

Filmmaker Roman Polanski is skipping the awards ceremony for France's equivalent of the Oscars — where his latest movie leads this year's nominations — because of protests prompted by a new rape accusation against him.

Women's rights activists have called for a boycott of Friday's Cesars ceremony in Paris, and plastered anti-Polanski banners and graffiti at the event venue and the Cesar academy headquarters. 

The entire male-dominated leadership of the Cesars stepped down recently amid a spat over its byzantine decision-making structure and over how to deal with the Polanski problem.

In a statement Thursday provided to The Associated Press, the Paris-based Polanski said the ceremony was turning into a "public lynching." Addressing the new accusation against him and other allegations over the years, he said: "Fantasies of unhealthy minds are now treated as proven facts."

"We know ahead of time how this evening will play out," More

  • Thursday, Feb. 27, 2020
A fan wearing a protective mask takes a picture with her cell phone prior the Champions League, round of 16, first leg soccer match between Real Madrid and Manchester City at the Santiago Bernabeu stadium in Madrid, Spain, Wednesday, Feb. 26, 2020. (AP Photo/Manu Fernandez)
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- 

Facebook said Wednesday that it is banning ads that make false claims about products tied to the new coronavirus. 

The social network said it is removing ads that feature a product and imply a limited supply, seeking create a "sense of urgency" in their mention of coronavirus. Ads that guarantee a cure or prevention are also banned, it said.

For instance, ads for face masks that claim the products are 100% guaranteed to prevent the spread of the virus are not allowed, the company said. 

The ban went into effect this week. Facebook had previously banned ads, along with regular unpaid posts, that peddle fake cures such as drinking bleach, spread conspiracy theories about the virus, or discourage people from seeking medical treatment. 

The ban went into effect as the World Health Organization reported that the  number of new cases  outside China exceeded the number of new infections inside the country for the first time on More

  • Tuesday, Feb. 25, 2020
The Den founders Mary Ellen Duggan (l) and Christjan Jordan
LOS ANGELES -- 

Christjan Jordan, editor of award-winning work for clients including Amazon, GEICO, and Hulu, has partnered with industry veteran Mary Ellen Duggan to launch The Den, an independent boutique editorial house in Los Angeles. The new venture’s roster also includes editor Andrew Ratzlaff, who like Jordan was most recently at Union Editorial.

The Den has already turned out some noteworthy work, including two Super Bowl spots cut by Jordan. Hulu’s first Big Game ad in eight years to feature celebrity talent, “Tom Brady’s Big Announcement,” had fans of the 42-year-old quarterback contemplating his possible retirement. Walmart’s Big Game debut, “Famous Visitors,” showcased the big box store’s offer of out of this world convenience through curbside pickup.

The Den founders Jordan and Duggan are long-time friends. Duggan’s bicoastal career has included heading production departments at both KPB and Cliff Freeman on the East Coast, and most recently More

  • Monday, Feb. 24, 2020
This image released by Paramount Pictures shows Tom Cruise in a scene from "Mission: Impossible - Fallout," the sixth film in the Mission Impossible franchise. Paramount Pictures on Monday halted production on the seventh “Mission: Impossible” film due to the Coronavirus outbreak, as Hollywood began to more drastically adapt to the growing epidemic. (Chiabella James/Paramount Pictures and Skydance via AP)
NEW YORK (AP) -- 

Paramount Pictures on Monday halted production on the seventh "Mission: Impossible" film due to the new virus, as Hollywood began to more drastically adapt to the growing global outbreak. 

"Mission: Impossible 7" had been scheduled to shoot for three weeks in Venice. More than 200 people have tested positive for coronavirus in Italy, the largest number outside Asia. While most of those cases are in the neighboring Lombardy region, authorities said three people in Venice have tested positive for the virus. 

In a statement, Paramount cited the Venetian government's halting of public gatherings, and said it was canceling the shoot "out of an abundance of caution for the safety and well-being of our cast and crew." 

Paramount also on Monday postponed the Chinese release of "Sonic the Hedgehog," which had been set for Friday. Cinemas in China have been shuttered due to the outbreak, closing down the world's second largest box-office More

  • Monday, Feb. 24, 2020
AKKURAT founders Andreas Roth (l) and Daniel "Rocco" Kopecny (photo by Christoph Scheider)
BERLIN -- 

Director Andreas Roth and executive producer Daniel “Rocco” Kopecny have launched AKKURAT Studios, an international creative collective and production company hybrid. With more than a decade of advertising experience, founders and filmmakers Roth and Kopecny will serve, respectively, as creative director and managing director of the new venture. The German business partners will lead the company out of Berlin, with a satellite atelier in Los Angeles. 

AKKURAT will initially handle representation in Germany for its roster of directors, which includes Roth, Cloé Bailly, Mario Feil, Joschka Laukeninks, Novemba, Ozan Biron, Ben Brand, Francisco Gonzalez Sendino and Ivana Bobic. On the photography front, artistic perspectives represented include those of Patrick Fraser, Evelyn Dragan, Florian Bison, Murat Aslan, Patrick Maus, and Rammstein house and yard photographer Jens Koch. 

Plans call for AKKURAT to handle the U.S. for much of its talent More

  • Monday, Feb. 24, 2020
Actor Jussie Smollett appears in a courtroom at the Leighton Criminal Court Building in Chicago on Feb. 24, 2020, where he plead not guilty to restored charges that accuse him of staging a racist, homophobic attack against himself and falsely reporting it to police. (Brian Cassella/Chicago Tribune via AP, Pool)
CHICAGO (AP) -- 

Former "Empire" actor Jussie Smollett pleaded not guilty Monday to restored charges that accuse him of staging a racist, homophobic attack against himself last year in Chicago and falsely reporting to police that the phony attack was real. 

His lawyer, Tina Glandian, entered the not guilty pleas on his behalf to six counts of felony disorderly conduct. She also told Judge James B. Linn that she has asked the Illinois Supreme Court to halt the case. 

A somber looking Smollett, 37, entered the Cook County courthouse wearing sunglasses and sporting a beard, flanked by his legal team and surrounded by reporters. 

"He's obviously frustrated to be dragged through this process again," Glandian told reporters after the hearing. 

She called the revived prosecution "an ordeal" for Smollett and said he has the support of relatives, some of whom flew out from California to be with him. 

"He's strong, he's resilient, he'll get More

  • Friday, Feb. 21, 2020
In this Sept. 22, 2002 file photo, the stars of "Friends," from left, David Schwimmer, Lisa Kudrow, Matthew Perry, Courteney Cox Arquette, Jennifer Aniston and Matt LeBlanc pose with the award for outstanding comedy series at the 54th annual Primetime Emmy Awards in Los Angeles. WarnerMedia announced Friday that the entire original cast of "Friends" will reunite for an unscripted special that will be available on HBO Max when the service debuts in May. (AP Photo/Reed Saxon, file)
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- 

WarnerMedia's new streaming service will debut with some extra "Friends."

The company announced Friday that the entire original "Friends" cast will reunite for an unscripted special that will be available on HBO Max when the service debuts in May.

A reunion has been long-sought by fans of the NBC series, which ended its 236-episode run in 2004. HBO Max will also carry every episode of the sitcom, which has proved enduringly popular, including with young audiences who discovered the show when it was available on Netflix.

The show made Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox, Matthew Perry, Lisa Kudrow, Matt LeBlanc and David Schwimmer into household names and won six Emmy Awards.

"Guess you could call this the one where they all got back together — we are reuniting with David, Jennifer, Courteney, Matt, Lisa, and Matthew for an HBO Max special that will be programmed alongside the entire 'Friends' library," said Kevin Reilly, HBO Max' More

  • Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020
In this Jan. 12, 2020, file photo Chief Digital Officer, ViacomCBS, and CEO and President, CBS Interactive, Marc DeBoise speaks at the Executive Presentation during the CBS TCA Winter 2020 Press Tour at the Langham Huntington Hotel in Pasadena, Calif. ViacomCBS is planning a new streaming service that incorporates the existing CBS All Access platform and adds content from Viacom brands like MTV and BET as well as Paramount movies. (Photo by Willy Sanjuan/Invision/AP, File)
NEW YORK (AP) -- 

ViacomCBS is planning a new streaming service that will combine the existing CBS All Access service with Paramount movies and shows from Viacom channels such as MTV and BET.

The move had been expected since CBS and Viacom combined in August to better compete in the increasingly competitive streaming environment. 

CBS was one of the first media companies to launch its own streaming service. Its $6-a-month service CBS All Access includes original programming such as new "Star Trek" series and a revival of "The Twilight Zone." The service also has old and current broadcast shows.

Since then, Disney launched its $7-a-month Disney Plus service, while Comcast's NBCUniversal and AT&T's WarnerMedia have services coming, tapping movies and shows from their channels and production studios. The companies are all trying to challenge Netflix, Amazon and other established players in the streaming arena as their channels face challenges from More

MySHOOT Company Profiles