Displaying 51 - 60 of 3809
  • Friday, Sep. 13, 2019
In this Monday, March 13, 2017, file photo, The Walt Disney Company CEO Robert Iger attends a special screening of Disney's "Beauty and the Beast" at Alice Tully Hall in New York. (Photo by Evan Agostini/Invision/AP, File)
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- 

Walt Disney Co. CEO Robert Iger has stepped down from Apple's board of directors as the two companies prepare to launch competing video streaming services aimed at market leader Netflix.

Apple disclosed Iger's departure in a regulatory filing Friday, but his resignation became effective Tuesday. That's the same day that Apple announced its long-awaited video streaming service will debut Nov. 1 and cost only $5 per month, less than half the price of Netflix's most popular plan.

Disney is gearing up to launch a video streaming service for $7 per month later in November.

The dueling services raised potential conflicts of interest that apparently prompted Iger to step down after spending nearly eight years on Apple's board.

Apple praised Iger as an "exemplary" board member and one of its "most trusted business partners" in a statement.

Iger responded in kind. "Apple is one of the world's most admired companies, known for More

  • Friday, Sep. 13, 2019
Felicity Huffman leaves federal court with her brother Moore Huffman Jr. following, after she was sentenced in a nationwide college admissions bribery scandal, Friday, Sept. 13, 2019, in Boston. (AP Photo/Michael Dwyer)
BOSTON (AP) -- 

"Desperate Housewives" star Felicity Huffman was sentenced Friday to 14 days in prison for paying $15,000 to rig her daughter's SAT scores, tearfully apologizing to the teenager for not trusting her to get into college on her own.

"I was frightened, I was stupid, and I was so wrong," Huffman, 56, said as she became the first parent sentenced in a college admissions scandal that ensnared dozens of wealthy and well-connected mothers and fathers.

The scandal exposed the lengths to which parents will go to get their children into the "right" schools and reinforced suspicions that the college admissions process is slanted toward the rich.

In sentencing Huffman, U.S. District Judge Indira Talwani noted the outrage the case has generated, adding that it "isn't because people discovered that it isn't a true meritocracy out there." The outrage, she said, was because Huffman took steps "to get one more advantage" in a system "already so More

  • Friday, Sep. 13, 2019
This Oct. 26, 2018 file photo shows Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige at the 2018 BAFTA Los Angeles Britannia Awards in Beverly Hills, Calif. Feige will be honored at the 45th annual Saturn Awards in Los Angeles on Friday, Sept. 13. (Photo by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP, File)
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- 

Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige will be honored at the 45th annual Saturn Awards that will be streamed live for the first time.

Feige is set to receive the inaugural Stan Lee Builder award named after the late Marvel Comics mastermind. The awards show on Friday night will be simulcast for the first time on several platforms including its official YouTube channel , Twitch, Cinedigm's CONtv and Pluto TV Sci-Fi Channel.

Aisha Tyler will host the event, created in 1973 to recognize horror, sci-fi and fantasy films that typically don't get recognized at major award shows. The awards will be presented at the Avalon Hollywood venue in Los Angeles.

Feige is being honored for the successful creation of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU), a film world with multiple story lines and characters that so far has spanned 23 films over 11 years. The latest phase of the franchise triumphantly concluded with the record-breaking "Avengers: More

  • Thursday, Sep. 12, 2019
Patty Jenkins
LOS ANGELES -- 

The International Cinematographers Guild (ICG, IATSE Local 600) will honor writer/director Patty Jenkins, best known for Wonder Woman, Monster and The Killing, with the inaugural Distinguished Filmmaker Award presented by Panavision, at the 2019 Emerging Cinematographer Awards (ECA) on Sunday, October 6, 2019 at 5:00 PM in the Television Academy’s Wolf Theatre at the Saban Media Center in North Hollywood. 

“The Distinguished Filmmaker Award was created to honor filmmakers who best understand the crucial role cinematographers play in capturing their vision, and who exemplify the best in that working collaboration,” said Lewis Rothenberg, national president of the ICG. “Ms. Jenkins is truly a groundbreaking auteur widely known for appreciating the detailed contributions of her craft departments, and particularly her camera team. She is an incredible inspirational and educational role model for our emerging cinematographers.” More

  • Wednesday, Sep. 11, 2019
This file photo shows Indiana Reformatory booking shots of John Dillinger, stored in the state archives. The History Channel has dropped out of a planned documentary on John Dillinger that would have included the exhumation of the 1930s gangster's Indianapolis gravesite. (Indiana State Archives/The Indianapolis Star via AP, File)
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- 

The History Channel has dropped out of a planned documentary on 1930s gangster John Dillinger that would have featured the proposed exhumation of his grave in Indianapolis sought by two relatives of the notorious criminal who question whether he's truly buried there.

A&E Networks spokesman Dan Silberman said Wednesday that The History Channel is no longer involved in the documentary, but declined further comment, saying network officials "do not comment on why we aren't moving forward with a project."

Silberman said in early August that the Dillinger project had not gone into production.

Dillinger's nephew, Michael C. Thompson, filed a lawsuit Aug. 14 against Crown Hill Cemetery, after cemetery officials objected to the proposed exhumation.

Thompson is one of two Dillinger relatives who sought a state permit to exhume the gravesite, saying they have evidence that Dillinger's body may not be buried there and that he may More

  • Wednesday, Sep. 11, 2019
In this May 16, 2016 file photo, David Boreanaz and Emily Deschanel attend the FOX Networks 2016 Upfront Presentation Party in New York. (Photo by Evan Agostini/Invision/AP, File)
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- 

A lawsuit over profits between the producers and stars of the show "Bones" and 21st Century Fox has been settled.

The two sides in the long-running lawsuit over the hit Fox TV show filed documents saying the lawsuit was settled in Los Angeles Superior Court on Wednesday.

The terms and other details of the deal are confidential.

A private arbitrator had awarded "Bones" stars David Boreanaz and Emily Deschanel along with the show's producers about $178 million after trial.

A judge then threw out $128 million of the award — the portion that was for punitive damages — leaving the plaintiffs with about $50 million. The plaintiffs were appealing the reduction when the lawsuit was settled.

Neither side had any comment, saying only that the lawsuit was settled amicably.

  • Wednesday, Sep. 11, 2019
Todd Milliner (l) and Sean Hayes
LOS ANGELES -- 

Hazy Mills Productions--the company founded in 2004 by Sean Hayes and Todd Milliner, and with credits that include the TV series Hot in Cleveland, The Soul Man (both for TV Land) and Grimm (NBC/Universal Television--has launched a branded content division, partnering with Test Pattern Media, a creative studio and production house specializing in commercial, TV, documentary and short-form content for leading brands and agencies. Operating together as a full service initiative, Hazy Mills and Test Pattern aim to work with brands and agencies to create engaging, series-based content, as well as cutting-edge and unique approaches to advertising.

Hazy Mills is no stranger to the branded space, having won awards for its Orbitz campaign with branded content agency, Bark Bark. The Hazy Mills/Test Pattern partnership’s combined clients include Lucasfilm, Amazon, Showtime, Starbucks, Orbitz, Capital One, TNT, TBS, Lincoln, P&G, and More

  • Wednesday, Sep. 11, 2019
Barkley's headquarters in Kansas City
KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- 

Barkley, one of the largest ESOP-owned (Employee Stock Ownership Plan) ad agencies in the U.S., has transitioned ownership to its leadership team. The ESOP sold 100% of its shares back to the company at an all-time high valuation. As a result, a management group led by its executive team now owns 100% of the company’s stock.

Prior to this sale, a significant percentage of the stock was held by former Barkley employees. This change brings 100% of the shares back into the company and maintains Barkley’s competitive advantage as an independent agency. Barkley announced that it has retained all of its current leadership team through this process.

“This helps us preserve our strong culture and puts us in a great position to continue attracting and retaining the best talent in the industry,” said CEO Jeff King. “This process helped us create the best possible conditions to continue driving growth and providing exceptional value to our clients More

  • Tuesday, Sep. 10, 2019
This image released by HBO shows a New York City Fireman speaking to children in a scene from the documentary "What Happened on September 11," a short film aimed at young people to explain to them what happened on Sept. 11, 2001. The program debuts on Wednesday. (HBO via AP)
NEW YORK (AP) -- 

For students from elementary to high school, the Sept. 11 terrorist attack isn't a memory. It's history. A new HBO documentary that debuts on the event's 18th anniversary treats it that way.

The necessity of her project, "What Happened on September 11," struck filmmaker Amy Schatz when a third grade girl told her about a playdate where she and a friend Googled "Sept. 11 attacks."

"When a child does that, what he or she finds are some pretty horrific images that are not necessarily appropriate for kids," Schatz said on Tuesday. "So I felt a responsibility to try to fill that void and try to give kids something that isn't horrifying and kind of fills in the gap."

The half-hour film debuts Wednesday at 6 p.m. A companion piece, focusing on the memories of former students at a high school near Ground Zero, premieres three hours later.

Schatz has made a specialty of creating films that seek to explain the inexplicable, with "The More

  • Tuesday, Sep. 10, 2019
In this Aug. 26, 2019, photo, Harvey Weinstein arrives in court in New York. A new book by The New York Times reporters who uncovered sexual misconduct accusations against Weinstein includes new details on the movie mogul’s attempts to stop the newspaper from publishing the story. (AP Photo/Mark Lennihan)
NEW YORK (AP) -- 

A new book by The New York Times reporters who uncovered sexual misconduct accusations against Harvey Weinstein reveals the identities of some of the whistleblowers who aided their investigation and includes new details on the movie mogul's attempts to persuade the newspaper not to publish the story.

"She Said," by Jodi Kantor and Megan Twohey, details how Weinstein and a team of lawyers including an unlikely ally, the feminist lawyer Lisa Bloom, tried to convince reporters that accusers including the actresses Ashley Judd and Rose McGowan were unreliable and mentally unstable.

The book, which hits bookstore shelves Tuesday from Penguin Press, includes a copy of a confidential memo Bloom wrote to Weinstein in December 2016, in which she said she was "equipped to help you against the Roses of the world, because I have represented so many of them."

"They start out as impressive, bold women, but the more one presses for evidence, the More

MySHOOT Company Profiles