Displaying 51 - 60 of 4215
  • Thursday, Jun. 11, 2020
This combo photo shows director Alejandro González Iñárritu at the awards ceremony at the 63rd international film festival, in Cannes, southern France, Sunday, May 23, 2010, left, and actress Salma Hayek during a photocall at the 70th International Film Festival, Berlinale, in Berlin, Germany, Wednesday, Feb. 26, 2020. (AP Photo/File)
MEXICO CITY (AP) -- 

Oscar-winning Mexican directors Guillermo del Toro and Alejandro González Iñárritu joined actress Salma Hayek to set up a fund to help support movie industry workers out of work due to the coronavirus pandemic. 

The Mexican Academy of Cinema Arts and Sciences announced the fund Thursday. González Iñárritu spoke via a video call.

"This was an act of solidarity with our colleagues in this industry, without asking anybody else besides ourselves," González Iñárritu said.

The fund has raised about $440,000 so far, and more donations are expected. Each beneficiary will get a one-time payment of about $885. 

The money will go first to technical workers like set, costume, sound and visual employees left without work after most productions stopped filming amid the pandemic. First in line will be those who are suffering health problems or who are sole breadwinners. 

La Corriente del Golfo, a company founded by Gael García Bernal More

  • Thursday, Jun. 11, 2020
In this Sept. 5, 2019 file photo, comedian and media mogul Byron Allen poses for a picture in Los Angeles. Allen and Comcast have settled a long-running a long-running racial discrimination dispute, and the cable giant will add three of the black media mogul’s channels to its cable packages. (AP Photo/Chris Carlson, File)
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- 

Comcast settled a long-running a long-running racial discrimination dispute with black media mogul Byron Allen, agreeing to add three of Allen's channels to its cable packages. 

Allen sued Comcast for $20 billion in 2015 for refusing to carry seven of his networks, saying it was because of his race. Comcast said it declined to carry the channels because the programming wasn't original or of sufficient quality. Allen also sued Charter, another cable company, for $10 billion for refusing to carry his networks. 

The case made it to the Supreme Court, which in March reversed a lower court ruling in favor of Allen.  The Supreme Court said Allen had to show race was the decisive factor in Comcast's decision not to offer him a contract, not one of several factors. Allen called that ruling "harmful to the civil rights of millions of Americans."

Comcast and Allen's company, Entertainment Studios Networks, said Wednesday that Comcast would More

  • Thursday, Jun. 11, 2020
In this image made from a March 28, 2019, body-worn camera video provided by the Austin Police Department in Texas, Williamson County deputies hold down Javier Ambler as one of them uses a Taser on Ambler’s back during his arrest in Austin, Texas. The black man died in custody in 2019 after sheriff's deputies repeatedly used stun guns on him, despite his pleas that he was sick and couldn't breathe, according a report published Monday, June 8, 2020, by the Austin American-Statesman and KVUE-TV. The video was made on the camera worn by an Austin police officer who also showed up at the scene as Williamson County deputies were making the arrest. (Austin Police Department via AP)
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- 

A&E Network has canceled the police reality series "Live PD" following weeks of protests inspired by the death of George Floyd and a report that a crew from the show filmed the arrest of a black man who died after he was restrained by police. 

A&E Network has canceled the police reality series "Live PD" after weeks of protests inspired by the death of George Floyd and a report that a crew from the show filmed the death of another black man in police custody. 

The cable network announced the move Wednesday, a day after the similar show "Cops," on the air for 33 seasons, was dropped by the Paramount Network. 

"This is a critical time in our nation's history and we have made the decision to cease production on Live PD," A&E said in a statement. "Going forward, we will determine if there is a clear pathway to tell the stories of both the community and the police officers whose role it is to serve them. And with that, we will More

  • Wednesday, Jun. 10, 2020
In this Dec. 19, 1939 file photo, a crowd gathers outside the Astor Theater on Broadway during the premiere of "Gone With the Wind" in New York. HBO Max has temporarily removed “Gone With the Wind” from its streaming library in order to add historical context to the 1939 film long criticized for romanticizing slavery and the Civil War-era South. (AP Photo)
NEW YORK (AP) -- 

HBO Max has temporarily removed "Gone With the Wind" from its streaming library in order to add historical context to the 1939 film long criticized for romanticizing slavery and the Civil War-era South. 

Protests in the wake of George Floyd's death have forced entertainment companies to grapple with the appropriateness of both current and past productions. On Tuesday, the Paramount Network dropped the long-running reality series "Cops" after 33 seasons. The BBC also removed episodes of "Little Britain," a comedy series that featured a character in blackface, from its streaming service. 

In an op-ed Monday in the Los Angeles Times, the filmmaker John Ridley urged WarnerMedia to take down "Gone With the Wind," arguing that it "romanticizes the Confederacy in a way that continues to give legitimacy to the notion that the secessionist movement was something more, or better, or more noble than what it was — a bloody insurrection to maintain the More

  • Tuesday, Jun. 9, 2020
A mural is seen on a boarded up business as a Los Angeles Police Department car drives by, Tuesday, June 9, 2020, in the Hollywood section of Los Angeles. Many businesses were boarded up during protests over the death of George Floyd. Floyd, a black man died after being restrained by Minneapolis police officers on May 25. (AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill)
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- 

After 33 seasons on the air, "Cops" has been dropped by the Paramount Network as protests against police proliferate around the world. 

"Cops is not on the Paramount Network and we don't have any current or future plans for it to return," a spokesperson for the cable channel said in a statement Tuesday. 

The show had been pulled temporarily from the air in late May, when protests aimed at police over the death of George Floyd began to gain momentum. That move was made permanent Tuesday. 

It's not clear whether the company that makes the show, Langley Productions, would try to find a new home for it. A voicemail at a company phone number was not accepting messages. 

The reality show, with its widely known reggae theme song "Bad Boys," allowed viewers to ride along with police officers on patrol in various cities. 

It ran on the Fox network for 25 years until 2013, when Viacom-owned Spike TV picked it up. The show More

  • Tuesday, Jun. 9, 2020
Pictured at AICP Base Camp in 2019 are Simian's co-founder and CTO Jay Brooks, co-founder and COO Brian Atton and head of sales Kellie Atton.
LAGUNA NIGUEL, Calif. -- 

Simian, the video sharing and collaboration service used by advertisers, agencies, media companies, production houses, post studios and music providers, has underscored its commitment to the commercial production industry by signing on as a Supporting Partner of AICP, the Association of Independent Commercial Producers.

AICP represents the interests of independent companies that specialize in the production and postproduction of commercials in various media--film, video, digital--for advertisers and agencies. With national offices in New York and Los Angeles and regional chapters across the country, it provides leadership, guidance and education on issues ranging from labor and employment to business affairs and production standards and best practices.

“Our goal at Simian has been to help people work smarter and more efficiently, and we can’t think of a better way to do that than to support the work of AICP,” said Brian Atton, Simian co- More

  • Tuesday, Jun. 9, 2020
In this April 29, 2020 file photo, a message on the ticket window at the AMC Burbank 16 movie theaters complex informs potential customers that it is currently closed in Burbank, Calif. (AP Photo/Chris Pizzello, File)
SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- 

Gov. Gavin Newsom’s administration has added movie theaters to the list of those venues in California that can reopen--but only under certain conditions and with approval from local health authorities. Reopening could begin as soon as this Friday (6/12).

Theaters looking to reopen will need to limit attendance to 25 percent of theater capacity or 100 customers, whichever amount is lower. This rule may be relaxed after a couple of weeks. Whether theater owners will opt to reopen under these limitations remains to be seen.

Local health departments will have to approve theater openings based on how the communities in question are faring relative to coronavirus infection rates, testing availability and the ability to track COVID-19 cases.

Theaters returning to operation could pave the way for some major releases still scheduled for July, including Tenet (Warner Bros.) and the live-action Mulan (Disney).

More
  • Tuesday, Jun. 9, 2020
In this file photo dated Monday, Sept. 9, 2019, CEO of Volkswagen Herbert Diess introduces the new VW ID.3 at the IAA Auto Show in Frankfurt, Germany. The German automaker Volkswagen said Monday June 8, 2020, that CEO Herbert Diess is giving up managing the company’s core VW brand in order to concentrate more on the group as a whole. (AP Photo/Michael Probst, FILE)
BERLIN (AP) -- 

Volkswagen's CEO is giving up managing the company's core VW brand in order to concentrate more on the group as a whole, the German automaker said Monday.

Herbert Diess, whose image had been tarnished in the fallout from the company's diesel-emissions scandal, will be replaced as head of the VW brand by Ralf Brandstaetter, who has been serving as the brand's chief operating officer, the company said in a statement.

The change will give Diess, who has been pushing the company ahead with a shift toward zero-emission vehicles and a new, more environmentally friendly image, more time to focus on the overall brand, which includes Audi, Porsche and Skoda, the company said.

"The goal is a stronger focus on the respective tasks from the top of the group and brand in the ongoing transformation phase of the automobile industry," VW said. 

Diess and Board Chairman Hans Dieter Poetsch had been charged by German prosecutors with More

  • Monday, Jun. 8, 2020
Patrick Burgoyne
LONDON -- 

Due to dramatically decreased revenue during the pandemic, D&AD has as part of a survival plan significantly reduced its number of staff members and reconfigured its sr. management team.

CEO Patrick Burgoyne has unselfishly volunteered to relinquish his role and step down, according to a D&AD statement which thanked him for years of service, first as a trustee and then, since December 2019, as CEO.

Long-serving COO Dara Lynch will now take the reins of D&AD, supported by the sr. management team--president Kate Stanners, deputy president Ben Terret, and the board of trustees. Tim Lindsay will also continue to play an active role as D&AD chairman.

The changes are designed to enable D&AD to perform on three fronts: First, to continue to run the D&AD Awards to its usual high standard; second, to continue to support the emerging cohort of creative talent as it seeks opportunities in the advertising and design More

  • Sunday, Jun. 7, 2020
In this Friday, Oct. 25, 2019, file photo, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg speaks about "News Tab" at the Paley Center, in New York. Dozens of scientists doing research funded by Zuckerberg say Facebook should not be letting President Donald Trump use the platform to spread "misinformation and incendiary statements.” Sixty professors at leading U.S. research institutions signed a letter Saturday, June 6, 2020, asking Zuckerberg to be less tolerant of harmful language. (AP Photo/Mark Lennihan, File)
BOSTON (AP) -- 

Dozens of scientists doing research funded by Mark Zuckerberg say Facebook should not be letting President Donald Trump use the social media platform to "spread both misinformation and incendiary statements."

The researchers, including 60 professors at leading U.S. research institutions, wrote the Facebook CEO on Saturday asking Zuckerberg to "consider stricter policies on misinformation and incendiary language that harms people," especially during the current turmoil over racial injustice.

The  letter calls the spread of "deliberate misinformation and divisive language" contrary to the researchers' goals of using technology to prevent and eradicate disease, improve childhood education and reform the criminal justice system. 

Their mission "is antithetical to some of the stances that Facebook has been taking, so we're encouraging them to be more on the side of truth and on the right side of history as we've said in the letter," said More

MySHOOT Company Profiles