Monday, March 25, 2019

News Briefs

Displaying 11 - 20 of 3486
  • Tuesday, Mar. 19, 2019
Filmmaker David Lynch teaching a class on creativity
This Nov. 4, 2017 file photo shows director David Lynch during the Rome Film Festival in Rome. (AP Photo/Domenico Stinellis, File)
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- 

According to filmmaker David Lynch, all it takes are 70 ideas to make a feature film.

The visionary mind behind "Blue Velvet," ''Mulholland Drive" and "Twin Peaks" is imparting this and other wisdom, like never giving up final cut, in a new MasterClass on creativity and filmmaking that's available now for enrollment online.

Lynch joins an esteemed lot of MasterClass instructors from Martin Scorsese to Spike Lee. Prices range from $90 for one class to $180 for unlimited access.

In his class, Lynch talks about the value of daydreaming for catching ideas. He also extols the importance of studying classic films and why he doesn't like rules.

Lynch says he was drawn to the idea that a MasterClass could make a difference to new filmmakers.

  • Friday, Mar. 15, 2019
Netflix will cut "Bird Box" footage months after outcry
This image released by Netflix shows Sandra Bullock in a scene from the film, "Bird Box." (Saeed Adyani/Netflix via AP)
NEW YORK (AP) -- 

Netflix will remove footage of a real fiery train disaster from its hit post-apocalyptic survival film "Bird Box" months after the streaming giant was criticized for exploiting a tragedy.

The stock footage was taken from a 2013 crash in the Quebec town of Lac-Megantic when a train carrying crude oil came off the tracks and exploded into a massive ball of fire, killing 47 people.

Netflix licensed the footage from the stock image vendor Pond 5 and used it in "Bird Box" in an early TV news montage. The Sandra Bullock-led thriller is about monstrous entities that compel any human who sees them to quickly try to kill themselves.

Pond 5 in January said the footage "was taken out of context" and apologized. But Netflix said at the time it wasn't planning to cut the clip, although said it was looking at ways to do things differently moving forward.

Nexflix changed its mind and said Friday it will replace the footage with an outtake from a former TV series in the U.S. The company said it is "sorry for any pain caused to the Lac-Megantic community."

The mayor of Lac-Megantic, Julie Morin, had criticized the use of the footage, calling it "a lack of respect." She and Quebec's culture and communications minister, Nathalie Roy, applauded Netflix's latest move. "This result shows that by being united and pooling our efforts, everything is possible," Roy tweeted.

  • Friday, Mar. 15, 2019
Tyson will return to TV after misconduct probe
In this Nov. 1, 2017 file photo, Neil deGrasse Tyson attends a fan event celebrating the release Kelly Clarkson's album "Meaning of Life" at YouTube Space New York in New York. Tyson will return to the air on two TV shows that had been put on hold for a sexual misconduct investigation. The National Geographic Channel said in a statement Friday that Tyson’s “StarTalk” will return to the air in April with the 13 episodes that remain in the season. (Photo by Charles Sykes/Invision/AP, File)
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- 

Astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson will return to the air on two TV shows that had been put on hold for a sexual misconduct investigation.

The National Geographic Channel said in a statement Friday that Tyson's "StarTalk" will return to the air in April with the 13 episodes that remain in the season.

The statement says Tyson's other show, "Cosmos," will return on National Geographic TV and Fox at a date to be determined.

Late last November, National Geographic Networks and Fox said they would examine reports that Tyson behaved in a sexually inappropriate manner toward two women. Friday's statement did not address the complaints or investigation.

A message with a representative seeking from Tyson wasn't immediately returned.

Tyson said in December that he denied the allegations and welcomed the investigation.

  • Friday, Mar. 15, 2019
James Gunn rehired to direct "Guardians of the Galaxy 3"
This June 25, 2018 file photo shows James Gunn at the premiere of "Ant-Man and the Wasp" in Los Angeles. Months after being fired over old tweets, James Gunn has been rehired as director of “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3.” Representatives for the Walt Disney Co. and for Gunn on Friday confirmed that Gunn has been reinstated as writer-director of the franchise he has guided from the start. (Photo by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP, File)
NEW YORK (AP) -- 

Months after being fired over old tweets, James Gunn has been rehired as director of "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3."

Representatives for the Walt Disney Co. and for Gunn on Friday confirmed that Gunn has been reinstated as writer-director of the Marvel franchise he has guided from the start. Gunn was fired last July over tweets from nearly a decade ago in which Gunn joked about subjects like pedophilia and rape.

Gunn earlier apologized for the tweets, which he called "unfortunate efforts to be provocative." Disney Chairman Alan Horn at the time said Gunn's words were inconsistent with the studio's values. The comments, made from 2008 to 2011, were brought to light by far-right propagandists Mike Cernovich and Jack Posobiec who combed through Gunn's social media history after Gunn's criticism of President Donald Trump.

But Gunn's dismissal was passionately protested by many. Fan petitions circulated online. The "Guardians" cast, including Chris Pratt, Bradley Cooper, Zoe Saldana, Vin Diesel and other stars, supported Gunn in an open letter. "Although I don't support James Gunn's inappropriate jokes from years ago, he is a good man," Pratt said.

"I am tremendously grateful to every person out there who has supported me over the last few months," Gunn said in a statement. "I am always learning and will continue to work at being the best human being I can be."

Gunn added a thank you to Disney and said he was excited to "continue making films that investigate the ties of love that bind us all."

Gunn has since signed on to write and direct the next installment of Warner Bros.' "Suicide Squad" for the Marvel rival DC Comics. That film is to shoot in the fall and be released in August 2021.

A Disney spokesman declined to comment on when "Guardians 3" might go into production. The first two films have made more than $1.5 billion in worldwide ticket sales.

Deadline first reported Gunn's rehiring.

  • Friday, Mar. 15, 2019
Golden Globe Awards to kick off awards season on Jan. 5
This Jan. 6, 2019 file photo shows members of the media on the red carpet prior to the 76th annual Golden Globe Awards in Beverly Hills, Calif. The Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA), dick clark productions (dcp) and NBC will present the 77th Annual Golden Globe Awards on Jan. 5, 2020. (Photo by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP, File)
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- 

The Hollywood Foreign Press Association says it has chosen a date for next year's Golden Globe Awards.

The association said Friday the 77th annual awards will be held Jan. 5. The ceremony will kick off a condensed awards season with the Oscars moving up their ceremony to Feb. 9, 2020.

In January, the Globes were watched by 18.6 million viewers. The awards show, which hands out honors for film and television, has improved its reputation despite once being dismissed by critics for some puzzling nominees.

The Hollywood Foreign Press Association says its members represent 56 countries.

  • Thursday, Mar. 14, 2019
YouTube star Lilly Singh to host NBC late-night show
In this April 19, 2018 file photo, Lilly Singh arrives at WE Day California at The Forum in Inglewood, Calif. NBC is shaking up late-night TV, giving Carson Daly’s slot to a woman of color who’s a star on YouTube. The network said Thursday, March 14, 2019, that a new show, titled “A Little Late with Lilly Singh,” will air at 1:35 a.m. EDT beginning in September. (Photo by Richard Shotwell/Invision/AP, File)
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- 

NBC is shaking up late-night TV, giving Carson Daly's slot to a woman of color who's a star on YouTube.

The network said Thursday that a new show, titled "A Little Late with Lilly Singh," will air at 1:35 a.m. EDT beginning in September.

Singh will be the only woman to host a daily late-night show on a major broadcast network.

Her half-hour program will include in-studio interviews and pre-taped comedy sketches, NBC said.

In a statement, Singh called the prospect of being an Indian-Canadian woman with her own late-night show "a dream come true."

Her acting credits include HBO's movie "Fahrenheit?451," ''Bad Moms" and "Ice Age: Collision Course."?

Singh's YouTube channel, in which she creates comedic and other videos, has more than 14 million subscribers, NBC said.

Last month, Daly said he's decided it's time to bring his "Last Call" show to an end as he focuses on new and continuing projects, as host and producer of NBC's "The Voice."

  • Thursday, Mar. 14, 2019
Netflix cancels "One Day at a Time" reboot after 3 seasons
In this Wednesday, Jan. 24, 2018 file photo, Justina Machado attends the Los Angeles premiere of "One Day at a Time" Season 2 at ArcLight Hollywood, in Los Angeles. (Photo by Richard Shotwell/Invision/AP, File)
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- 

Netflix is canceling "One Day at a Time" after three seasons.

In a statement Thursday, the streaming service's chief content officer, Ted Sarandos, called it "disappointing" that more viewers didn't discover the sitcom.

A tweet on a Netflix company account said not enough people watched to justify renewing it, and called the cancellation a difficult step.

Created by Gloria Calderon Kellett and Mike Royce, it was among the few TV series with Latinos as the lead characters.

Justina Machado played a single Cuban-American mom and military veteran, with Rita Moreno as her mother.

It was a reboot of the original "One Day at a Time," which was co-created by Norman Lear and aired from 1975-84 with stars Valerie Bertinelli and Bonnie Franklin.

Lear was among the Netflix series' executive producers.

  • Thursday, Mar. 14, 2019
Jussie Smollett pleads not guilty to lying about attack
"Empire" actor Jussie Smollett, center, arrives at the Leighton Criminal Court Building for his hearing on Thursday, March 14, 2019, in Chicago. Smollett is accused of lying to police about being the victim of a racist and homophobic attack by two men on Jan. 29 in downtown Chicago. (AP Photo/Matt Marton)
CHICAGO (AP) -- 

"Empire" actor Jussie Smollett pleaded not guilty Thursday to charges accusing him of lying to the police about being the victim of a racist and homophobic attack in downtown Chicago a few weeks ago.

Lawyer Tina Glandian entered the plea on behalf of the 36-year-old actor during a hearing in Cook County Circuit Court after Judge Steven Watkins was assigned to oversee the case, including the trial.

Watkins granted Smollett's request to be allowed to meet with lawyers in New York and California, but said the actor must give the court at least 48 hours' prior notice. He scheduled the next hearing for April 17.

Smollett is charged with 16 counts of disorderly conduct.

Prosecutors allege that Smollett, who is black and gay and plays the gay character Jamal Lyon on the hit Fox TV show, hired two friends to help him stage the attack on him in downtown Chicago early on the morning of Jan. 29. They say Smollett was unhappy about his salary and wanted to drum up publicity to help his career.

Smollett has denied that he staged the attack and maintains he is innocent. His attorneys have called the charges against him "prosecutorial overkill."

There were several supporters outside the courthouse doors as Smollett arrived for the hearing, including some who waved signs. Activist Wisdom Cole led a few chants in support of the actor, the black community and the LGBT community.

"Jussie has been a person of high caliber and character. He comes from an activist family. He has a consistent track record and history of supporting marginalized people ... and so his track record is not on par with the idea of a hoax," she said.

  • Wednesday, Mar. 13, 2019
Once Upon a Time expands into US with acquisition of IdeaWork Studios
Joe Garton, CEO of Once Upon A Time (l), and Jay Schwartz, CEO and ECD, IdeaWork Studios
NEW YORK -- 

London-based integrated agency Once Upon A Time (OUAT) has acquired IdeaWork Studios, broadening its offerings and expanding for the first time into the U.S. Headquartered in New York, IdeaWork specializes in branding and digital for the hospitality, luxury, entertainment, and gaming sectors. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

The addition of IdeaWork to the Once Upon A Time stable is the group’s seventh acquisition and aligned with its strategy to offer an independent, integrated approach from media buying and advertising to in-store retail marketing. The acquisition is OUAT’s first in the States and gives the agency offices in New York, Las Vegas, and Santa Barbara. In addition, the founder of IdeaWork, Jay Schwartz, will take on the role of executive creative director for the OUAT group, while retaining his position as CEO and ECD at IdeaWork Studios. Joe Garton is OUAT CEO.

Founded in 1999, IdeaWork is an established branding and digital agency that counts Michelin-starred chefs like Jean-Georges Vongerichten, Eric Ripert, Daniel Boulud, Charlie Palmer, and Michael White; boutique hotels like Ian Schrager’s PUBLIC and EDITION, RFR’s Gramercy Park Hotel, 11 Howard, and The Jaffa; and resorts like Gurney’s Montauk and Carillon Miami amongst its clients.

  • Tuesday, Mar. 12, 2019
Production designer William Creber, a 3-time Oscar nominee, dies at 87
William "Bill" Creber
LOS ANGELES -- 

Production designer/art director William “Bill” Creber, a three-time Oscar nominee, died in Los Angeles on March 7 of complications from pneumonia after a prolonged illness. He was 87.

Creber was best known for his work on the original Planet of the Apes (1968) followed by Beneath the Planet of the Apes (1970) and Escape from the Planet of the Apes (1971).

Creber’s Oscar nominations came for his designer work on The Greatest Story Ever Told (1964), The Poseidon Adventure (1965) and The Towering Inferno (1975) for which he also received a BAFTA nomination. He was nominated for a Primetime Emmy® in 1964 for Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea and was honored with an Art Directors Guild Lifetime Achievement Award in 2005.

Nelson Coates, president of the Art Directors Guild (ADG, IATSE Local 800), said, “This was the man who designed and then flipped cruise ships, burned skyscrapers, and created an entire ape culture. Though his last feature was 21 years ago, Bill Creber remained a vital influence in the industry, with his institutional memory, sharing of relevant production solutions, and his amazing skills devising, executing, and teaching incredible methods of in-camera visual effects.”

Among Creber’s many additional credits are Islands in the Stream, Any Which Way You Can, Flight of the Navigator and the TV series Mod Squad. His last credit was for 2001’s The Last Brickmaker in America.

Creber is survived by his wife Sally Queen, daughter Carolyn Karges and son Ken Creber. Details for a memorial service will be announced shortly.

MySHOOT Profiles


Editor

Visual Effects and Animation

Director

Audio, Music and Sound Design

MySHOOT Company Profiles