Displaying 121 - 130 of 3769
  • Saturday, Jul. 6, 2019
A scene from "The Father" (Karlovy Vary Film Festival)
PRAGUE (AP) -- 

"The Father," a movie directed by Bulgaria's filmmaking duo Kristina Grozeva and Petar Valchanov, has won the top prize at the 54th edition of an international film festival in the Czech spa town of Karlovy Vary.

The movie was chosen from 12 contenders for the Crystal Globe by the Karlovy Vary Film Festival's grand jury. Saturday's award also comes with a $25,000 cash prize.

A family drama with comic and absurd moments, "The Father" describes a story of a man who firmly believes that his wife is trying to contact him after her death.

The filmmakers' previous features, "The Lesson" (2014) and "Glory" (2016) won awards at a number of other international film festivals.

  • Friday, Jul. 5, 2019
This June 26, 2019 photo released by Sony Pictures shows, from left, Angourie Rice, Zach Barack and Remy Hii at the world premiere of "Spider-Man: Far From Home" at the TCL Chinese Theatre in Los Angeles. (Stewart Cook/Sony Pictures via AP)
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- 

The first openly transgender actor in the Marvel Universe says there needs to be more representation of his experience.

Zach Barack plays a classmate of Peter Parker's in "Spider-Man: Far From Home." His gender identity is not addressed in the brief role.

Barack said that to him, superhero movies "always felt like a trans story because it's talking about identity."

"It's about separating what people know about you and what they don't," Barack said at last week's premiere of the film. "And I think that's something I kind of live with every day. And on top of that, I don't see a lot of trans-masculine people on television or trans men specifically, and getting to be part of that is beyond unreal."

The 23-year-old Chicago-area native, who also appeared in the TV series "L.A.'s Finest," said there needs to be more roles for trans people in all sorts of movies.

"The truth is you have to put out there what people want to see More

  • Friday, Jul. 5, 2019
In this June 3, 2019 file photo, actor Kevin Spacey attends a pretrial hearing at district court in Nantucket, Mass. He is accused of groping the teenage son of a former Boston TV anchor in 2016 in the crowded bar at the Club Car in Nantucket. On Wednesday, June 26, a civil lawsuit was filed by the man who claims Spacey groped him. (AP Photo/Steven Senne, File)
BOSTON (AP) -- 

A young man who says Kevin Spacey groped him in a Nantucket bar in 2016 has dropped his lawsuit against the Oscar-winning actor, his lawyer said Friday.

Spacey still faces a criminal charge. He pleaded not guilty to indecent assault and battery in January.

His accuser's lawyer, Mitchell Garabedian, announced in an email that the suit filed June 26 in Nantucket Superior Court has been voluntarily dismissed. No reason was provided either by Garabedian or in the court filing. Garabedian said he would have no further comment. A telephone message was left at his office.

According to the court filing, the suit was dismissed "with prejudice," which means it cannot be refiled.

An email was left Friday requesting comment from Alan Jackson, Spacey's attorney. Jackson has previously said the man is lying in the hopes of winning money in a civil case against Spacey.

The legal development could have significance for the criminal More

  • Friday, Jul. 5, 2019
In this June 14, 2006, file photo a journalist holds a microphone bearing the Univision logo in Los Angeles. (AP Photo/Damian Dovarganes, File)
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- 

A report says Spanish-language television network Univision could be considering a sale from its private equity owners.

Univision confirmed it is "reviewing strategic options" and has hired outside advisers after a report in The Wall Street Journal said it was looking at options, including potentially a sale.

Univision competes with fellow Spanish-language network Telemundo in the U.S.

Private equity firm Saban Capital Group and other firms bought Univision in 2007. In 2016, Univision bought what was then known as Gawker Media, which included news sites Gizmodo and The Onion, for $135 million in an attempt to bring in young readers.

The plan did not pan out, and Univision sold the properties for an undisclosed price earlier this year.

  • Wednesday, Jul. 3, 2019
In this Dec. 22, 2017 file photo, Halle Bailey poses for a portrait at RMC Studio in Los Angeles. Bailey, half of the sister duo Chloe x Halle, will next be going under the sea, starring as Ariel in the upcoming adaptation of “The Little Mermaid.” (Photo by Rebecca Cabage/Invision/AP, File)
NEW YORK (AP) -- 

Halle Bailey, half of the sister duo Chloe x Halle, will next be going under the sea, starring as Ariel in the upcoming adaptation of "The Little Mermaid."

The live-action version will include original songs from the 1989 animated hit as well as new tunes from original composer Alan Menken and "Hamilton" creator Lin-Manuel Miranda. Some of the tunes include "Under the Sea," ''Part of Your World" and "Kiss the Girl."

Bailey will join Jacob Tremblay and Awkwafina in the film, which will be directed by Rob Marshall, who helmed "Mary Poppins Returns."

Marshall says that Bailey "possesses that rare combination of spirit, heart, youth, innocence, and substance — plus a glorious singing voice — all intrinsic qualities necessary to play this iconic role."

  • Wednesday, Jul. 3, 2019
In this Sept. 9, 2012 file photo, director J.A. Bayona arrives at "The Impossible" premiere during the Toronto International Film Festival in Toronto. (Photo by Evan Agostini/Invision/AP, File)
SANTA MONICA, Calif. -- 

Filmmaker Juan Antonio (J.A.) Bayona (The Orphanage, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, The Impossible) will direct the first two episodes of Amazon Studios’ upcoming series based on J. R. R. Tolkien’s iconic fantasy novels "The Lord of the Rings." Bayona will also serve as an executive producer, alongside his partner Belén Atienza.

“J.R.R. Tolkien created one of the most extraordinary and inspiring stories of all time, and as a lifelong fan it is an honor and a joy to join this amazing team,” said Bayona. “I can’t wait to take audiences around the world back to Middle-earth and have them discover the wonders of the Second Age, with a never-before-seen story.”

“The scope and breadth of J.A.’s world-building is exactly the right fit for our ambitions for The Lord of the Rings. He’s a passionate and collaborative director who has brought new stories to life with his multitalented producing partner, Belén.” said Jennifer Salke More

  • Tuesday, Jul. 2, 2019
In this April 30, 2019 file photo Sterling Van Wagenen, left, pleads guilty during his initial appearance in American Fork, Utah. Wagenen, who co-founded the Sundance Film Festival and produced a movie whose lead actress won an Oscar in the mid-1980s has been sentenced on Tuesday, July 2, 2019, to at least six years in prison after pleading guilty to sexual abuse of a child. (Rick Egan/The Salt Lake Tribune, via AP, Pool, File)
AMERICAN FORK, Utah (AP) -- 

A filmmaker who co-founded the Sundance Film Festival and produced a movie whose lead actress won an Oscar in the mid-1980s was sentenced Tuesday to at least six years in prison after pleading guilty to sexual abuse of a child.

The judge who delivered the sentence of six years to life said that he hopes the parole board will keep 72-year-old Sterling Van Wagenen in prison longer than the minimum.

Judge Robert Griffin commended the young victim for reporting what happened. Prosecutors say Van Wagenen touched a young girl on two occasions between 2013 and 2015.

"You did the right thing and you're not responsible for anything that happened and anything that will happen," said Griffin during the hearing south of Salt Lake City. "You're a brave young lady."

The victim, whose name The Associated Press is withholding because she is a victim of sexual abuse, read a letter blasting Van Wagenen for lying and being a coward.

"I More

  • Tuesday, Jul. 2, 2019
This June 5, 2019 file photo shows Leonardo DiCaprio at the premiere of "Ice on Fire" in Los Angeles. DiCaprio is joining with billionaire investors and philanthropists Laurene Powell Jobs and Brian Sheth to create Earth Alliance, a new nonprofit charged with tackling climate change and the loss of biodiversity. Earth Alliance said Tuesday July 2, it will provide grants, educational opportunities and fund campaigns and films, as well as work with grassroots organizations and individuals in places most affected by biodiversity loss and climate change. (Photo by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP, File)
NEW YORK (AP) -- 

Leonardo DiCaprio is joining with billionaire investors and philanthropists Laurene Powell Jobs and Brian Sheth to create a new nonprofit environmental powerhouse charged with tackling climate change and the loss of biodiversity.

The new organization, Earth Alliance, "will work globally to protect ecosystems and wildlife, ensure climate justice, support renewable energy and secure indigenous rights to the benefit of all life on Earth," according to a statement.

Earth Alliance said Tuesday it will provide grants, educational opportunities and fund campaigns and films, as well as work with grassroots organizations and individuals in places most affected by biodiversity loss and climate change.

In the statement, DiCaprio called Earth Alliance a "new larger, nimble platform that shares resources and expertise while identifying the best programs to drive real change around the planet."

DiCaprio has long championed environmentalism More

  • Tuesday, Jul. 2, 2019
In this 1976 file photo, pop artist Andy Warhol smiles in New York. Warhol transcended a photographer's copyright by transforming a picture of a vulnerable and uncomfortable Prince into an artwork that made the singer an "iconic, larger-than-life figure," a judge ruled Monday, July 1, 2019. (AP Photo/Richard Drew, File)
NEW YORK (AP) -- 

Andy Warhol transcended a photographer's copyright by transforming a picture of a vulnerable and uncomfortable Prince into an artwork that made the singer an "iconic, larger-than-life figure," a judge ruled Monday.

U.S. District Judge John G. Koeltl in Manhattan sided with the Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts over renowned photographer Lynn Goldsmith.

The case tested whether the legendary artist who died in 1987 made fair use of a 1981 picture of the famed late singer when he created a series of 16 artworks that became known as the "Prince Series." The series contained 12 silkscreen paintings, two screen prints on paper and two drawings.

The judge noted that Goldsmith believed photographs she took of Prince in her New York City studio revealed that he was "not a comfortable person" and was a "vulnerable human being."

In 1984, Vanity Fair licensed one of Goldsmith's black-and-white studio portraits of Prince from her More

  • Monday, Jul. 1, 2019
In this Jan. 13, 2019, file photo, Kaley Cuoco poses in the press room at the 24th annual Critics' Choice Awards at the Barker Hangar in Santa Monica, Calif. Cuoco is making a big move after wrapping 12 seasons with "The Big Bang Theory." Warner Bros. Television Group said Monday, July 1, 2019, that Cuoco has signed an exclusive, multi-year deal with the company. (Photo by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP, File)
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- 

Kaley Cuoco is making a big move after wrapping 12 seasons with "The Big Bang Theory," with a new production deal and a pivot from comedy to drama.

Cuoco has signed an exclusive, multi-year deal with Warner Bros. Television Group, the company said Monday. The agreement keeps Cuoco in business with the studio that produced "The Big Bang Theory," the CBS comedy in which Cuoco played Penny. It ended its hit run last May.

In a statement, Cuoco said she was excited to continue an "incredibly collaborative and gratifying relationship" with Warner, adding, "They're stuck with me now!"

Financial terms of the deal were not announced.

Her first announced project is the hour-long series "The Flight Attendant," a thriller based on the novel of the same name by Chris Bohjalian. It will be made for the WarnerMedia streaming service set to launch for consumers in early 2020.

Under the deal, Cuoco and her production company will More

MySHOOT Company Profiles