Facebook Twitter Instagram LinkedIn RSS
    Facebook Twitter Instagram LinkedIn RSS
    SHOOTonline SHOOTonline SHOOTonline
    Register
    • Home
    • News
      • MySHOOT
      • Articles | Series
        • Best work
        • Chat Room
        • Director Profiles
        • Features
        • News Briefs
        • “The Road To Emmy”
        • “The Road To Oscar”
        • Top Spot
        • Top Ten Music Charts
        • Top Ten VFX Charts
      • Columns | Departments
        • Earwitness
        • Hot Locations
        • Legalease
        • People on the Move
        • POV (Perspective)
        • Rep Reports
        • Short Takes
        • Spot.com.mentary
        • Street Talk
        • Tool Box
        • Flashback
      • Screenwork
        • MySHOOT
        • Most Recent
        • Featured
        • Top Spot of the Week
        • Best Work You May Never See
        • New Directors Showcase
      • SPW Publicity News
        • SPW Release
        • SPW Videos
        • SPW Categories
        • Event Calendar
        • About SPW
      • Subscribe
    • Screenwork
      • Attend NDS2024
      • MySHOOT
      • Most Recent
      • Most Viewed
      • New Directors Showcase
      • Best work
      • Top spots
    • Trending
    • NDS2024
      • NDS Web Reel & Honorees
      • Become NDS Sponsor
      • ENTER WORK
      • ATTEND
    • PROMOTE
      • ADVERTISE
        • ALL AD OPTIONS
        • SITE BANNERS
        • NEWSLETTERS
        • MAGAZINE
        • CUSTOM E-BLASTS
      • FYC
        • ACADEMY | GUILDS
        • EMMY SEASON
        • CUSTOM E-BLASTS
      • NDS SPONSORSHIP
    • Contact
    • Subscribe
      • Digital ePubs Only
      • PDF Back Issues
      • Log In
      • Register
    SHOOTonline SHOOTonline SHOOTonline
    Home » Reality TV couple sues the city of Los Angeles after losing home in fires

    Reality TV couple sues the city of Los Angeles after losing home in fires

    By SHOOTFriday, January 24, 2025No Comments308 Views
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Telegram Pinterest Tumblr Reddit WhatsApp Email
    Spencer Pratt, left, and Heidi Montag pose backstage at the 3rd Annual Reality TV Awards at the Avalon Hollywood, May 13, 2015, in Los Angeles. (Photo by Rich Fury/Invision/AP, File)

    By Jaimie Ding

    LOS ANGELES (AP) --

    Reality TV couple Heidi Montag and Spencer Pratt are suing the city of Los Angeles after losing their Pacific Palisades home in the wildfires that have torn through Southern California in recent weeks.

    The couple, who rose to stardom on “The Hills,” a spin-off of “Laguna Beach,” filed the lawsuit Tuesday along with more than 20 other property owners and residents who were affected by the Palisades Fire. The complaint blames Los Angeles and its municipal water department for the water issues that hampered firefighting efforts and says it ultimately led to the damage to their properties.

    The Eaton and Palisades fires, ignited by strong winds during one of the region’s driest years on record, have killed 28 people and destroyed more than 12,000 structures, putting them among the most destructive fires in California history.

    There has been intense scrutiny over hydrants running dry and problems with water pressure, leading to a barrage of lawsuits against the city and the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power. California Gov. Gavin Newsom has called for an independent investigation into the LA water utility over the issues.

    The complaint filed by the couple and others mentions that the Santa Ynez Reservoir, which services the Pacific Palisades neighborhood, was offline and had been out of commission since February 2024 while awaiting repairs. The hydrants in the neighborhood were connected to three tanks that held 1 million gallons (3.7 million liters) of water each and went dry within 12 hours, the complaint said, citing Janisse Quiñones, the water utility’s chief executive and chief engineer.

    Without water from the reservoir, firefighters had to primarily rely on the water tanks, which were not designed to fight such a large fire, the complaint said.

    The city and water utility did not immediately respond to emailed requests for comment.

    While the repairs to the reservoir were requested in January 2024, the water utility told the Los Angeles Times they would not be completed until April or May 2025.

    The lawsuit called the Palisades Fire an “inescapable and unavoidable consequence” of the water system operated by the city and water utility.

    “The system necessarily failed, and this failure was a substantial factor in causing Plaintiffs to suffer the losses alleged in this complaint,” it said.

    The plaintiffs cite the principle known as ” inverse condemnation,” which is the same mechanism that requires utilities to pay for wildfire damages caused by their equipment.

    REGISTRATION REQUIRED to access this page.

    Already registered? LOGIN
    Don't have an account? REGISTER

    Registration is FREE and FAST.

    The limited access duration has come to an end. (Access was allowed until: 2025-01-26)
    Tags:Heidi MontagLos Angeles wildfiresSpencer Pratt



    Inaugural winners unveiled in ADC AI Visual Design Dreamina AI category

    Thursday, May 21, 2026
    ADC AI Visual Design-Dreamina AI category winners announced

    The global Art Directors Club and Dreamina AI announced the ADC Cube and cash prize winners in the inaugural ADC AI Visual Design-Dreamina AI category, dedicated to honoring the frontier of generative craft in this year’s ADC 105th Annual Awards.

    The new category, which was free to enter and made possible by ADC’s exclusive partnership with Dreamina AI, part of ByteDance, recognizes evolving creative craft and honors modern creators who are using AI as a creative partner to expand the boundaries of visual expression.

    The first ADC Cube and cash prize winners of the new competition are as follows.

    First Place: ADC Gold Cube, $6,000
    Xīnxīn Li and Donglin Cheng, Beijng, “Ivory”

    Second Place: ADC Silver Cube, $4,000 each
    Anne Horel, Paris “La Tisseuse d’Ombres” (“The Shadows Weaver”)
    Jason Peng, Chongqing “Perfect Place”
    Park Zhi, Guangzhou, “Red Pill”

    Third Place: ADC Bronze Cube, $2,000 each
    Chén Kūn, Shenyang, “Ordinary Anthem”
    Serhii Kostenko, Berlin, “Trained on Perfection”
    Xingchen Ding, Hangzhou, “The Joyful Pasture”
    Dorothy Pang, Vancouver, “Love Hotel”
    Tāozé Cài, Beijing, “Bad Traveling”
    Yongning Zhang, Suzhou, “Big Eyes Town”

    Hongye Liu, Shanghai, was awarded a Merit for “{HONG KONG LOADING…}”.

     

    “Rather than limiting ourselves strictly to the original storyboard, we drew continuous inspiration from Dreamina AI during the creation process,” explained Gold Cube winner Xinxin Li. “The mutual inspiration between human creativity and AI capability allowed us to revise and optimize the script accordingly, and eventually we... Read More

    No More Posts Found

    MySHOOT Profiles

    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Telegram Pinterest Tumblr Reddit WhatsApp Email

    Previous ArticleCNN is announcing layoffs as part of a further shift to digital business
    Next Article Google pledges to crack down on fake reviews after U.K. watchdog investigation
    SHOOT

    Add A Comment
    What's Hot

    Ira Sachs and Rami Malek Explore Art Love and Death In Cannes Entry “The Man I Love”

    Thursday, May 21, 2026

    Director Femi Oladigbolu Signs With PRETTYBIRD For UK Representation Spanning Spots and Music Videos

    Thursday, May 21, 2026

    “Once Upon a Time in Harlem” Finally Has Its Time At The Cannes Film Fest, 50 Years After It Was Shot

    Thursday, May 21, 2026
    Shoot Screenwork

    Top Spot of the Week: Andrex, FCB London and Director She King Tackle The Labor Poo Taboo

    Thursday, May 21, 2026

    Andrex launches its latest campaign as part of its mission to help the nation “Get…

    Toyota, Burrell, Director Paul Hunter and Jim Henson’s Creature Shop Prove EV Skeptics Wrong In “Haters Anthem”

    Wednesday, May 20, 2026

    The Best Work You May Never See: Fela Director William Ukoh Puts Light Into Motion For Gantri

    Tuesday, May 19, 2026

    Francois Rousselet Directs The Rolling Stones’ “In The Stars”

    Monday, May 18, 2026

    The Trusted Source For News, Information, Industry Trends, New ScreenWork, and The People Behind the Work in Film, TV, Commercial, Entertainment Production & Post Since 1960.

    Today's Date: Fri May 26 2023
    Facebook Twitter Instagram LinkedIn RSS
    More Info
    • Overview
    • Upcoming in SHOOT Magazine
    • Advertise
    • Privacy Policy
    • SHOOT Copyright Notice
    • SPW Copyright Notice
    • Spam Policy
    • Terms of Service (TOS)
    • FAQ
    STAY CURRENT

    SUBSCRIBE TO SHOOT EPUBS

    © 1990-2021 DCA Business Media LLC. All rights reserved. SHOOT and SHOOTonline are registered trademarks of DCA Business Media LLC.
    • Home
    • Trending Now

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.