Facebook Twitter Instagram LinkedIn RSS
    Facebook Twitter Instagram LinkedIn RSS
    SHOOTonline SHOOTonline SHOOTonline
    Register
    • Home
    • News
      • MySHOOT
      • Articles | Series
        • Best work
        • Chat Room
        • Director Profiles
        • Features
        • News Briefs
        • “The Road To Emmy”
        • “The Road To Oscar”
        • Top Spot
        • Top Ten Music Charts
        • Top Ten VFX Charts
      • Columns | Departments
        • Earwitness
        • Hot Locations
        • Legalease
        • People on the Move
        • POV (Perspective)
        • Rep Reports
        • Short Takes
        • Spot.com.mentary
        • Street Talk
        • Tool Box
        • Flashback
      • Screenwork
        • MySHOOT
        • Most Recent
        • Featured
        • Top Spot of the Week
        • Best Work You May Never See
        • New Directors Showcase
      • SPW Publicity News
        • SPW Release
        • SPW Videos
        • SPW Categories
        • Event Calendar
        • About SPW
      • Subscribe
    • Screenwork
      • Attend NDS2024
      • MySHOOT
      • Most Recent
      • Most Viewed
      • New Directors Showcase
      • Best work
      • Top spots
    • Trending
    • NDS2024
      • NDS Web Reel & Honorees
      • Become NDS Sponsor
      • ENTER WORK
      • ATTEND
    • PROMOTE
      • ADVERTISE
        • ALL AD OPTIONS
        • SITE BANNERS
        • NEWSLETTERS
        • MAGAZINE
        • CUSTOM E-BLASTS
      • FYC
        • ACADEMY | GUILDS
        • EMMY SEASON
        • CUSTOM E-BLASTS
      • NDS SPONSORSHIP
    • Contact
    • Subscribe
      • Digital ePubs Only
      • PDF Back Issues
      • Log In
      • Register
    SHOOTonline SHOOTonline SHOOTonline
    Home » Robert Downey Jr. says he “intends to sue” all future executives who use his AI replica

    Robert Downey Jr. says he “intends to sue” all future executives who use his AI replica

    By SHOOTTuesday, October 29, 2024No Comments352 Views
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Telegram Pinterest Tumblr Reddit WhatsApp Email
    Melora Hardin, left, and Robert Downey Jr. appear during a performance of "McNeal," in New York. (Matthew Murphy and Evan Zimmerman via AP)

    By Sarah Parvini, Technology Writer

    LOS ANGELES (AP) --

    Robert Downey Jr. doesn’t think Marvel executives would ever recreate his portrayal of Tony Stark using artificial intelligence. But if they did, he would lawyer up — even posthumously.

    On a recent episode of the “On With Kara Swisher” podcast, the Oscar-winning actor said he intends to “sue all future executives” who allow an AI-created version of him. Speaking about his role as Iron Man, Downey said he does not want his likeness recreated by AI technology.

    “I am not worried about them hijacking my character’s soul because there’s like three or four guys and gals who make all the decisions there anyway and they would never do that to me, with or without me,” Downey said.

    Swisher noted that those executives would eventually be replaced.

    “Well, you’re right,” Downey said. “I would like to here state that I intend to sue all future executives just on spec.”

    “You’ll be dead,” Swisher said.

    Downey replied: “But my law firm will still be very active.”

    Representatives for Marvel Studios and for Downey did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

    The discussion comes amid the Hollywood video game performers’ strike, which began in July after more than 18 months of negotiations over a new interactive media agreement with game industry giants broke down over artificial intelligence protections.

    Leaders of the Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Artists have billed the issues behind the labor dispute — and AI in particular — as an existential crisis for performers. Concerns about how movie studios will use AI helped fuel last year’s film and television strikes by the union, which lasted four months. SAG-AFTRA ultimately signed a deal requiring productions to get the informed consent of actors whose digital replicas are used.

    Downey made his Broadway debut this month in “McNeal,” a one-act play by Ayad Akhtar that delves into themes of artificial intelligence, artistic integrity, plagiarism and copyright infringement. The 59-year-old actor plays the titular character, Jacob McNeal, an acclaimed novelist whose battles with alcoholism and mental illness culminate at a crucial juncture in his career.

    “I don’t envy anyone who has been over-identified with the advent of this new phase of the information age,” Downey said. “The idea that somehow it belongs to them because they have these super huge start-ups is a fallacy.”

    The podcast episode explored questions the play raises about truth and power in the age of AI, and whether there is a “social contract” related to the use of AI.

    Downey’s upcoming role as Doctor Doom in “Avengers: Doomsday” will bring him back to the Marvel Cinematic Universe in 2026.

    REGISTRATION REQUIRED to access this page.

    Already registered? LOGIN
    Don't have an account? REGISTER

    Registration is FREE and FAST.

    The limited access duration has come to an end. (Access was allowed until: 2024-10-31)
    Tags:artificial intelligenceRobert Downey Jr.



    Nominees named for the CST Award for Best Young Female Film Technician at the Cannes Film Festival

    Monday, May 11, 2026
    Production designers Esther Mysius (l) and Livia Lattanzio, nominees for this year's CST Award for Best Young Female Film Technician at the Cannes Film Festival

    In light of the under-representation of women in technical roles within the French film industry, the Higher Technical Committee for Image and Sound (CST) will, for the sixth year running, present the CST Award for Best Young Female Film Technician at the Cannes Film Festival.

    The figures from 2026 highlight the need to promote and support young female technicians.

    Of the 75 technical roles in French films in the official selection, only 18 are held by women. Of these, 16 are over 40 years old, and only 2 are under 40, representing barely 3% of all the roles analyzed.

    The CST congratulates the two nominees for the CST Award for Young Female Technician Award at the 79th Festival de Cannes, who are:

    • Livia Lattanzio – Production designer for the film Les Matins merveilleux by Avril Besson (Special Screening)
    • Esther Mysius – Production designer for the film Histoires de la nuit by Léa Mysius (in Competition)

    Promoting young female technicians today helps shape a more inclusive, representative and diverse cinema for tomorrow.

    Created on the initiative of Claudine Nougaret and Angelo Cosimano in 2021, the CST Award for Best Young Female Film Technician is supported this year by photographer Sarah Moon.

    The jury comprises Michel Boujenah, actor and director, and Sylvia Landra, chief editor.

    The winner of this sixth edition will be announced on May 23.

    The CST was the first ever association of film and audio-visual technicians in France. It was founded in 1944 to promote technicians’ work and the quality of the end product for spectators.

    Read More

    No More Posts Found

    MySHOOT Profiles

    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Telegram Pinterest Tumblr Reddit WhatsApp Email

    Previous ArticleCian McKenna joins Los York as creative director, motion
    Next Article Google still pumping out massive profits despite multiple threats
    SHOOT

    Add A Comment
    What's Hot

    Director Andzej Gavriss Joins Rogue For U.K. Representation

    Tuesday, May 12, 2026

    SAG-AFTRA National Board Approves TV/Theatrical Deal; Membership To Vote On Ratification

    Tuesday, May 12, 2026

    South Florida Police Officers Sue Ben Affleck and Matt Damon, Claiming Details In “The Rip” Are Too Real

    Monday, May 11, 2026
    Shoot Screenwork

    Turo Helps People Adapt To Life, Not Get Locked Into Their Cars

    Tuesday, May 12, 2026

    What if your car could change as fast as your life does? Turo is embracing…

    The Best Work You May Never See: Lidl Finland, Director Pete Riski Unleash A Pied Piper Of Grills For Summer BBQ Season

    Monday, May 11, 2026

    W+K Portland Creates “FOUR Letters” Word Campaign For YETI

    Friday, May 8, 2026

    Tesco, BBH London, Director Nick Ball and Untold Studios Unleash “Fruit Giant” For Community Initiative

    Thursday, May 7, 2026

    The Trusted Source For News, Information, Industry Trends, New ScreenWork, and The People Behind the Work in Film, TV, Commercial, Entertainment Production & Post Since 1960.

    Today's Date: Fri May 26 2023
    Facebook Twitter Instagram LinkedIn RSS
    More Info
    • Overview
    • Upcoming in SHOOT Magazine
    • Advertise
    • Privacy Policy
    • SHOOT Copyright Notice
    • SPW Copyright Notice
    • Spam Policy
    • Terms of Service (TOS)
    • FAQ
    STAY CURRENT

    SUBSCRIBE TO SHOOT EPUBS

    © 1990-2021 DCA Business Media LLC. All rights reserved. SHOOT and SHOOTonline are registered trademarks of DCA Business Media LLC.
    • Home
    • Trending Now

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.