- Articles | Series
- Columns | Departments
- Publicity News
- Events Calendar
- PDF Back Issues
- Trending Now
- My Membership
Academy Presents New Theatrical Screening Program:
- Thursday, Dec. 20, 2018
"Oscar Spotlight: Documentary Feature Shortlist"
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, led by its Future of Film Committee, will present “Oscars® Spotlight: Documentary Feature Shortlist,” a new program showcasing the 15 shortlisted documentary feature films in contention for the 91st Oscars. The films will screen theatrically in 13 cities nationwide starting December 31, 2018 through January 21, 2019. Participating theaters include AMC Theatres, Alamo Drafthouse Cinema and Laemmle Theatres.
“The Academy is thrilled to be collaborating with exhibitors and distributors to shine a light on the best documentaries of the year,” said Albert Berger, Academy governor and chair of the Future of Film Committee. “We want to encourage moviegoing and engage audiences across the country in our process as we move through the shortlists, nominations and towards the Oscars.”
Theaters and showtimes are subject to change; check your local listings in the following cities:
- Austin | Alamo Drafthouse Mueller
- Boston| AMC Loews Boston Common 19
- Chicago | Music Box Theatre
- Dallas/Fort Worth | Alamo Drafthouse Lake Highlands
- Denver | Alamo Drafthouse Sloans Lake
- Los Angeles Area | AMC Sunset 5, Laemmle Monica Film Center, Laemmle Playhouse 7 (Pasadena)
- New York | IFC Center, Alamo Drafthouse Downtown Brooklyn
- Phoenix Area | Harkins Shea 14
- Raleigh | Alamo Drafthouse Raleigh
- San Francisco Area | Alamo Drafthouse New Mission, Christopher B. Smith Rafael Film Center
- Santa Barbara | Santa Barbara International Film Festival Riviera Theatre
- Seattle | AMC Pacific Place 11
- Washington, D.C. | Warner Bros. Theater at the Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History
Nominations for the 91st Academy Awards will be announced on Tuesday, January 22, 2019.
The 91st Oscars will be held on Sunday, February 24, 2019, at the Dolby Theatre® at Hollywood & Highland Center®in Hollywood, and will be televised live on the ABC Television Network. The Oscars also will be televised live in more than 225 countries and territories worldwide.
About THE ACADEMY
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is a global community of more than 9,000 of the most accomplished artists, filmmakers and executives working in film. In addition to celebrating and recognizing excellence in filmmaking through the Oscars, the Academy supports a wide range of initiatives to promote the art and science of the movies, including public programming, educational outreach and the upcoming Academy Museum of Motion Pictures, which is under construction in Los Angeles.