- Wednesday, May. 8, 2019
American Cinema Editors (ACE) announced today that the 70th Annual ACE Eddie Awards, recognizing outstanding editing in film and television, will be held Friday, January 17, 2020 at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills, California. The earlier date reflects a shift in timing to almost three weeks earlier than usual as the truncated awards season landscape (ignited by the Oscars® moving up to Feb. 9, 2020) begins to take shape. The television categories eligibility dates have also changed -- television contenders must have aired between Jan. 1, 2019 and Nov. 1, 2019. Feature film eligibility remains the same with contenders having to be released between Jan. 1, 2019 and Dec. 31, 2019.
The black-tie awards ceremony will unveil winners for outstanding editing in 11 categories of film and television including:
- Best Edited Feature Film (Drama)
- Best Edited Feature Film (Comedy)
- Best Edited Animated Film
- Best Edited Documentary (Feature)
- Best Edited Documentary (Non-Theatrical)
- Best Edited Drama Series for Non-Commercial Television
- Best Edited Drama Series for Commercial Television
- Best Edited Comedy Series for Non-Commercial Television
- Best Edited Comedy Series for Commercial Television
- Best Edited Miniseries or Motion Picture for Television
- Best Edited Non-Scripted Series
Three special honors will be handed out that evening including two Career Achievement recipients presented to film editors of outstanding merit and the Golden Eddie Filmmaker of the Year honor presented to a filmmaker who exemplifies distinguished achievement in the art and business of film. Honorary award recipients will be announced later this year.
Submissions for the ACE Eddie Awards open Sept. 13 and close on Nov. 1. For more information or to submit for awards consideration beginning Sept. 13, visit the ACE web site at https://americancinemaeditors.org.
Key dates for the 70th Annual ACE Eddie Awards
- September 13, 2019 Submissions for Nominations Begin
- November 1, 2019 Submissions for Nominations End
- November 18, 2019 Nomination Ballots Sent
- December 9, 2019 Nomination Ballots Due
- December 11, 2019 Nominations Announced
- December 16, 2019 Final Ballots Sent
- December 20, 2019 Deadline for Advertising
- January 5, 2020 Blue Ribbon Screenings (Television categories)
- January 6, 2020 Final Ballots Due
- January 15, 2020 Nominee Cocktail Party
- January 17, 2020 70th Annual ACE Eddie Awards
About American Cinema Editors
AMERICAN CINEMA EDITORS (ACE) is an honorary society of motion picture editors founded in 1950. Film editors are voted into membership on the basis of their professional achievements, their dedication to the education of others and their commitment to the craft of editing.
The objectives and purposes of the AMERICAN CINEMA EDITORS are to advance the art and science of the editing profession; to increase the entertainment value of motion pictures by attaining artistic preeminence and scientific achievement in the creative art of editing; to bring into close alliance those editors who desire to advance the prestige and dignity of the editing profession.
ACE produces several annual events including EditFest (an international editing festival), Invisible Art/Visible Artists (the annual panel of Oscar® nominated editors), and the ACE Eddie Awards, now in its 70th year, recognizing outstanding editing in 11 categories of film, television and documentaries. The organization publishes a quarterly magazine, CinemaEditor, highlighting the art, craft and business of editing and editors.