- Articles | Series
- Columns | Departments
- Publicity News
- Events Calendar
- PDF Back Issues
- Trending Now
- My Membership
BBDO NY’s “Back-to-School Essentials” Wins Best of Show At One Screen Short Film Festival
- Wednesday, Feb. 26, 2020
Short film work from nine countries picked up awards last night at the eighth annual One Screen Short Film Festival, part of The One Club for Creativity and premiere short film festival that celebrates global filmmakers from both the advertising and film industries.
BBDO New York led the way with three awards on the night, including Best-of-Show honors for “Back-to-School Essentials” on behalf of Sandy Hook Promise (which also picked up the award for Best Branded Content). In addition, the agency won Best Experimental Film for “Monica Lewinsky — The Epidemic”.
The jury of leading film directors, producers, ad agency creatives and heads of production companies from around the world also gave two awards each to Friends & Fellows Media, Munich, Observatory, Los Angeles with AB InBev México, Reverse, New York, The New York Times, New York and Zulu Alpha Kilo, Toronto.
Along with awarding work in specific genre categories, One Screen expanded this year to also present best-of awards for creative excellence by region. This year’s regional winners are:
- Regional - Asia Pacific: “Times Out and Proud” by FCB India, New Delhi
- Regional - Europe: “Boucan La Cible” by Quad Productions, Clichy
- Regional - Latin America: “The History of La Cerveza Mas Fina” by AB InBev México
- and Observatory, Los Angeles
- Regional - North America: “Conception: When Your Child’s Bogeyman is Real” by The New York Times, New York
Click here for SANDY HOOK PROMISE - BACK TO SCHOOL ESSENTIALS complete screenwork credits list.
One Screen 2020 winners by category are as follows.
- Best-of-Show: “Back-to-School Essentials” by BBDO New York, New York
- Best Animation: “Conception: When Your Child’s Bogeyman is Real” by The New York Times, New York
- Best Art Direction, Production Design: “Behind the History of La Cerveza Mas Fina” by AB InBev México and Observatory, Los Angeles
- Best Branded Content: “Back-to-School Essentials” by BBDO New York, New York
- Best Comedy: “Billy’s Lemonade” by Zulu Alpha Kilo, Toronto
- Best Direction: “Monday” by Art and State, Los Angeles
- Best Editor: “Koffee” by Mah Ferraz, Brooklyn
- Best Cinematography: “Be Unboardered” by Cossette, Toronto
- Best Documentary: “Please Arrest Me” by Ogilvy Singapore
- Best Experimental Film: “Monica Lewinsky — The Epidemic” by BBDO New York, New York
- Best Fiction: “Locals Only” by Skunk, Los Angeles and “Play: The Power of Ideas” by Reverse, New York
- Best Foreign Film: “Dear Enemy - The Journey of Bashir” by Friends & Fellows Media, Munich
- Best Emerging - Directors: Arne Totz, Friends & Fellows Media, Munich for “Dear Enemy - The Journey of Bashir” and Bradley Tangonan, Reverse, New York for “Rose de Mai”
- Best Emerging - Cinematographer: Jeff Kim, VaynerProductions, New York for “Dwyane Wade's Last Swap”
- Best Mobile Film: “The Reef” by Sven, New York and “Share Your Crazy” by Film Pills, New York
- Best Music Video: “Damn I Love This Friday Night” for Quarter Life Poetry by Anonymous Content, Culver City
- Best Sound Design, Original Score: “Kim Jung Gi” by Gallegos United, Huntington Beach and “Grow Beyond Your Goals: Meet Brianne West, founder of Ethique” by Google, Shibuya
- Best Student Film: “The Beauty” by Pascal Schelbli, Zürich
- Best Title and End Credit Sequences: “TEDx Sydney: Legacy” by Substance, Sydney
- Best Under $10,000 Budget: “Boys Don’t Cry” by Bensimon Byrne, Toronto and “#UnravelHate” by Zulu Alpha Kilo, Toronto
One Screen is part of The One Club for Creativity, the foremost global non-profit organization celebrating creative excellence in advertising and design.
The fast-growing global festival focuses on all forms and aspects of short films — narrative fiction, comedy, passion projects, commercials, branded content, music videos, spec work, animation, sound, movie poster design, title sequences, etc. — and has a mission to celebrate and award filmmakers from around the world working in both the film and ad industries with no limitation and total artistic freedom, all on one screen.
“It’s fitting to present Regional awards for the first time because we received so much amazing work from around the world,” said Jonathan Jirjis, executive producer at The One Club and head of the One Screen program. “Global interest and participation in One Screen has grown sharply over the years, promoting us to recognize the best of the best by region.”
He added the body of work submitted illustrates the current mindset and voice of the greater global creative community. “This year’s entries include provocative subject matter that prompts us to think about how we’re progressing as a people, and sparks conversation on how to keep us moving forward in the right direction,” said Jirjis.
Sponsors for the 2020 One Screen Short Film Festival included Tanteo Tequila and Brooklyn Brewery.
The One Club for Creativity, producer of The One Show, ADC Annual Awards and Creative Week, is the world's foremost non-profit organization whose mission is to support and celebrate the success of the global creative community. The One Show is a top global awards show for advertising, design and digital marketing, focusing on the creativity of ideas and quality of execution. The global ADC Annual Awards honors creative excellence in craft, design and innovation across all disciplines. Creative Week takes place in New York every May, and is the preeminent festival celebrating the intersection of advertising and the arts.
The One Club for Creativity