- Monday, Oct. 8, 2018
To help colorists, DoPs and the wider production and post industry understand the opportunities and challenges that HDR and new delivery formats bring, FilmLight has taken intensive and specialist masterclasses on a world tour. Next dates are already set for New York (18 October), Munich (24 October), Montreal (24 October) and Paris (29 November), with more locations to be added.
In this one-day masterclass, which is free for registered participants, an experienced member of the FilmLight team, along with leading colorists, will guide the group through some key factors that are changing production and finishing today. Attendees look at the technical aspects of working in color-managed workflows, and have the chance to discuss best practices for real-world projects.
Topics include setting up the pipeline for projects involving multiple camera origination and mastering camera matching, through to the large number of deliverables expected today. This will detail the elements of HDR, its display and its distribution.
Drawing on experiences from recently released movies and TV projects, the masterclasses will look at questions of moving between color spaces and show the latest color science and grading tools in action. The aim is to increase and optimise productivity and support creativity by making the master grade more intuitive and image-driven, with the underlying technology making the creation of multiple deliverables more automated.
Each session will be led by a FilmLight expert with current, in-depth experience of the creative, commercial and technical challenges facing production and post-production companies and film and TV studios around the world. In addition, some of the world’s most respected colorists present their individual journeys in color, as well as the creative hints and tips they have honed over successful careers – all live on Baselight.
Daniele Siragusano, Image Engineer at FilmLight commented “HDR has just multiplied the number of deliverables producers demand from a movie today.
“Making sure they consistently achieve the vision of the director and DoP is a challenge,” he added. “FilmLight has transformed its grading tools to give colorists the power to grade in one color space and be confident that it is portable across all deliverables. These masterclasses are a chance for practitioners to get into the real details, to understand the practical challenges of HDR, and to familiarise themselves with practical workflows.”
On the completion of the masterclass, all attendees will be given access to the FilmLight online educational resources as well as a 90-day license for Baselight STUDENT.
Register today for New York Masterclass, with Director of Color Paul Harrison and Daniele Siragusano, Image Engineer at FilmLight
- WHAT: With Director of Color Paul Harrison and Daniele Siragusano, Image Engineer at FilmLight, join FilmLight and Freefolk for live presentations and practical discussions on look development, color space management and new grading tools - from on-set to finishing.
- Meet the Colorist live: Using the latest version of the Baselight grading system, Paul Harrison discusses his individual journey in color, as well as the creative hints and tips he has honed over his successful career in London and more recently in NY.
- Color Management: the Basics How to approach producing and finishing projects in a device-independent way? Daniele Siragusano explains the fundamentals about color management pipeline, from the scene in front of the camera, all the way to the light emitted by a display.
- Grading Strategies for HDR projects Explore the added value, possibilities and pitfalls of HDR finishing and how to setup a grading pipeline to deliver both HDR and SDR. Each session finishes with a Q&A.
- WHERE: 520 Broadway, 9th Floor, New York, NY 10012
- WHEN: Thursday, October 18, 2018, 1:00 PM
- NO COST: The event is free for all registered attendees, but space is limited, so please register early.
- REGISTER: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2018-worldwide-colour-journey-masterclasses...
For more details, to see future events and to register for a color space masterclass please visit: https://www.filmlight.ltd.uk/news/events/2018_colourtour.php
FilmLight develops unique colour grading systems, image processing applications and workflow tools that are transforming film and video post-production and setting new standards for quality, reliability and performance. The company’s streamlined metadata-based workflows employ robust products with cutting edge creative tools, allowing creative professionals to work at the forefront of the digital media revolution. Founded in 2002, FilmLight’s core business is centred on the innovation, implementation and support of its products—including Baselight, Prelight and Daylight—in leading production companies, post-production facilities and film/TV studios around the world. FilmLight is headquartered in London, where its research, design and manufacturing operations are centred. Sales and support are conducted through regional service centres and qualified partners worldwide.