- Wednesday, Oct. 18, 2017
One Screen Short Film Festival, the premiere short film festival that unites the film and advertising worlds, announced 2017 winners at its annual awards and screening held last night at the Sunshine Cinema in New York.
One Screen is part of The One Club for Creativity, the foremost global non-profit organization celebrating creative excellence in advertising and design. Now in its sixth year, One Screen focuses on all forms and aspects of short films — commercials, music videos, short narratives, spec work, passion projects, movie poster design, credits, etc. — and has a mission to celebrate and award the best of the film and ad industries with no limitation and total artistic freedom, all on one screen. The festival doubled the number of entries received this year, with work submitted from 45 countries.
This year’s awards represented a coming full circle of sorts, as One Screen 2017 Best in Show went to “The Escape”, the latest BMW Films work by Geisel Productions and Anonymous Content. The One Club’s One Show was the first ad industry awards competition to recognize original branded content, creating the separate new category of Branded Entertainment in 2003 to accommodate the original launch of BMW Films.
One Screen Short Film Festival 2017 winners are as follows:
Best in Show:
- “The Escape” by Geisel Productions and Anonymous Content, New York, USA and BMW Films for BMW, https://youtu.be/qnUicdd8wnE
- “Letters from Alcatraz” by Madeline Rozwat, Los Angeles, CA, USA, https://youtu.be/j4p9VdDSxo0
- “The Last Journey of the Enigmatic Paul W.R.” by Lighthouse Films, New York, USA, https://youtu.be/9W_1keGPBME
- “The Unbelievers: Burnell Cotlon” by Voyager Creative, Brooklyn, NY, USA for Bai, https://youtu.be/p0mieB6FOB4
- “Kolshik” by Great Guns LTD, London, UK, Fancy Shot, St. Petersburg, Russia, and Versus Pictures for the band Leningrad, https://vimeo.com/238076230/ae9929ae29
- “The Mother, Daughter and The Lady Spirit” by Pereira & O’Dell, San Francisco, CA, USA, https://youtu.be/0E8qCE1arm8
- “A Love Story” by CAA Marketing, Los Angeles, CA and Passion Pictures, New York, USA for Chipotle, https://youtu.be/XQaZPj2kaW8
- “Cogs” by ZEILT Productions, Foetz, Luxembourg, https://youtu.be/xfBliehCEgs
- “Coke Habit” by Dress Code NY Inc., New York, USA, https://youtu.be/BSXmyx2aTsI
- “Reaction” by dfmn, New York, USA, https://youtu.be/T3KI6I9RJsc
- “Evan” by BBDO New York, USA for Sandy Hook Promise, https://youtu.be/bNAFBxRBkV0
- “The World’s Biggest Asshole” by Furlined, Los Angeles, CA and The Martin Agency, Richmond, VA, USA for Donate Life, https://youtu.be/eKEcX7hoY7U
- “We Are America” by R/GA, New York, USA for the Ad Council, https://vimeo.com/238079206/eb86f8d6a1
Budget Under $10,000:
- “Looking Back” by FCB Chicago and Lord + Thomas, Chicago, USA, https://youtu.be/1bkqGEJhIuA
- “Notes” by BBDO Toronto and Skin and Bones, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, https://youtu.be/_OBYZlWIrjw
- “NYC Blizzard” by Derby Content, New York, USA, https://youtu.be/qGFewY1Qf0c
- “Never odd or EveN” by Fusion, New York, USA, https://youtu.be/qpUMXA66m3M
Title and End Credit Sequence:
- “Style Frames NYC Opening” by Hornet, New York, USA, https://youtu.be/vMFsxWFbCyI
- “Semi Permanent Festival 2017” by Framestore, New York, USA, https://youtu.be/5vv1RrepnMs
- “Possibilia” by eko, New York, USA, https://youtu.be/fMuLVIwYK7M
- “Broken Night” by eko, New York, USA, https://youtu.be/MY8i-JRlMRA
- “Shutterstock Pop Poster Series: ‘Fences’ ” by Shutterstock, New York, USA
- “Shutterstock Pop Poster Series: ‘Lion’ ” by Shutterstock, New York, USA
- “Shutterstock Pop Poster Series: ‘Hidden Figures’ ” by Shutterstock, New York, USA
Emerging Director (less than three years experience):
- “Hope Inside the Fire” by Bennett Johnson, New York, USA, https://youtu.be/ZzVSVLBW6rI
- “Bolt vs. Flame” by Barry Company, São Paulo, Brazil for Nissan, https://youtu.be/M3Xil0T-_Cg
- “Hikari” by Mindcastle, Seattle, WA, USA, https://youtu.be/cLiJ_AhoWI4
Emerging Writer (less than three years experience):
- “CNN Colorscope Blue” by Dr. James Fox, New York, USA, https://youtu.be/iB6zJzUveTM
- “Deuspi” by Quad Productions, https://youtu.be/5wcfS46HnZM
One Screen-Free The Bid Award winners celebrating women in film are as follows:
Free The Bid-Commercials:
- “This Girl Can - Phenomenal Women” by Somesuch, London, UK, https://youtu.be/gJiizqDDdgw
- “The Swim“ by Knucklehead, Los Angeles, CA, USA, for Visa, https://youtu.be/8idWzG7oseU
- “Change the Story” by RadicalMedia, https://youtu.be/XkrEITTnBnA
Free The Bid-Branded Content:
- “Club 99.7” by Bacon and RSA Films, https://youtu.be/CYLR7LwhGyo
Free The Bid-Music Video:
- “The Gospel” by Little Minx, Santa Monica, CA, USA, https://vimeo.com/238079526/4f461f053b
Free The Bid-Cinematography:
- “Nike + TKA Twigs ‘Do You Believe In More’ ” by Academy+, London, UK, https://youtu.be/i2PeamtCmJY
Free The Bid-New Women Director:
- “La Madre Buena (The Good Mother)” by Sarah Craft for Madrefoca, Mexico City, Mexico, https://youtu.be/oeSFNQYrnjw
One Screen jury
Entries were judged by a 40-person jury of leading film directors, producers, ad agency creatives and heads of production companies. Among the industry luminaries on this year’s jury was renowned director and writer Paul Haggis, whose credits include Oscar-winning films such as Crash and Million Dollar Baby and HBO's acclaimed mini-series Show Me A Hero. To view the full jury, please visit http://www.onescreen.org/#jump-judges.
One Screen partnerships: San Diego International Film Festival and Free The Bid
This year for the first time, One Screen partnered with the San Diego Film Foundation, producers of the San Diego International Film Festival (SDiFF, http://sdfilmfest.com), which last week screened entries from the One Screen Branded Entertainment category and selected their own winners, who were presented with a SDiFF award.
Aligned with The One Club for Creativity’s ongoing focus to promote diversity and inclusion, One Screen also introduced a new partnership this year with Free The Bid (http://freethebid.com), a non-profit initiative started last year advocating on behalf of women directors for equal opportunities to bid on commercial jobs in the global ad industry.
A separate 10-person jury made up of leading agency/brand creatives and directors selected winners of the One Screen Free The Bid Awards, celebrating stellar work created by women and amplifying the call for diversity in the industry.
“One Screen grew significantly in a number of different ways this year,” said Jonathan Jirjis, executive producer, One Screen. “We managed to double the number of entries from around the world, and secured the involvement and support of the San Diego International Film Festival and Free The Bid. Having highly accomplished jurors like Paul Haggis also illustrates how the film industry has embraced the awards.”
He added that One Screen has become a showcase for the passion projects of accomplished filmmakers, as well as a high-visibility forum to recognize promising young talent. “We’re thrilled with the range and quality of work submitted this year and congratulate all of our 2017 winners,” he said.
One Screen Short Film Festival 2017 awards and screening event sponsors include Brooklyn Brewery and Tanteo tequila.
For more information about One Screen Short Film Festival, please visit http://www.onescreen.org.
The One Club for Creativity (www.oneclub.org), producer of the prestigious One Show, ADC Annual Awards and Creative Week, is the world's foremost non-profit organization whose mission is to support and celebrate the success of the global creative community. The One Show is a top global awards show for advertising, design and digital marketing focusing on creativity of idea and quality of execution. The ADC Annual Awards honors the best creative work in terms of craft, design and innovation across all disciplines. Creative Week takes place in New York City every May and is the preeminent festival celebrating the intersection of advertising and the arts.