- Articles | Series
- Columns | Departments
- Publicity News
- Events Calendar
- PDF Back Issues
- Trending Now
- My Membership
My SPW NewsPage View
Saturday, Feb. 2, 2019
Alfonso Cuarón Wins DGA Feature Film Award For "Roma"
Complete List of Winners in 10 Other Categories Also AnnouncedLOS ANGELES --(SPW)--
The winners of the Directors Guild of America Outstanding Directorial Achievement Awards for 2018 were announced tonight during the 71st Annual DGA Awards at the Hollywood & Highland Center’s Ray Dolby Ballroom in Hollywood. Alfonso Cuarón won the DGA’s Award for Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Feature Film for Roma.
Aisha Tyler hosted the ceremony before an audience of more than 1,500 guests. Presenters included (in alphabetical order): Mahershala Ali, Yalitza Aparicio, Christian Bale, Paris Barclay, Linda Cardellini, Marina de Tavira, Guillermo del Toro, Sam Elliott, Topher Grace, Tony Hale, Laura Harrier, Dennis Haysbert, Brian Tyree Henry, Ron Howard, Dolores Huerta, Quincy Jones, Stan Lathan, Viggo Mortensen, Sarah Paulson, Jordan Peele, Matthew Rhys, Keri Russell, Octavia Spencer, John David Washington, and Constance Wu.
OUTSTANDING DIRECTORIAL ACHIEVEMENT IN FEATURE FILM
Mr. Cuarón's Directorial Team:
- Unit Production Manager: Ana Hernández
- First Assistant Director: René U. Villareal
- Second Assistant Director: María Dioni
- Second Second Assistant Directors: Luis Fernando Vásquez, Julián 'Chico' Valdés
This was Mr. Cuarón’s second DGA Feature Film Award nomination. He won the DGA Award for Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Feature Film in 2013 for Gravity.
OUTSTANDING DIRECTORIAL ACHIEVEMENT OF A FIRST-TIME FEATURE FILM DIRECTOR
Mr. Burnham's Directorial Team:
- First Assistant Director: Dan Taggatz
- Second Assistant Director: Vic Coram
- Second Second Assistant Director: Evelyn Fogleman
This was Mr. Burnham's first DGA Award nomination.
OUTSTANDING DIRECTORIAL ACHIEVEMENT IN DRAMATIC SERIES
Mr. McKay's Directorial Team:
- Unit Production Manager: Regina Heyman
- First Assistant Director: Amy Lauritsen
- Second Assistant Director: Scott Bowers
- Second Second Assistant Director: Nicholas Notte
- Location Managers: Michael Kriaris, Patty Carey
This was Mr. McKay’s third DGA Award nomination. He also received a nomination this year for Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Feature Film Award for Vice. Mr. McKay was previously nominated for the Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Feature Film Award for The Big Short in 2015.
OUTSTANDING DIRECTORIAL ACHIEVEMENT IN COMEDY SERIES
Barry, "Chapter One: Make Your Mark"
Mr. Hader's Directorial Team:
- Unit Production Managers: Mark Tobey, Aida Rodgers
- First Assistant Director: Dale Stern
- Second Assistant Director: Michelle Gritzer
- Second Second Assistant Director: Chris Riddle
- Additional Second Assistant Director: Gary Cotti
This was Mr. Hader's first DGA Award nomination.
OUTSTANDING DIRECTORIAL ACHIEVEMENT IN MOVIES FOR TELEVISION AND LIMITED SERIES
Escape at Dannemora
Mr. Stiller's Directorial Team:
- Unit Production Managers: Adam Brightman, Bill Carraro
- First Assistant Directors: Lisa M. Rowe, Lyda Blank, Phillip A. Patterson
- Second Assistant Director: Kevin R. Shields
- Second Second Assistant Director: Luke A. Crawford Location Manager: Hyo Park
This was Mr. Stiller's first DGA Award nomination.
OUTSTANDING DIRECTORIAL ACHIEVEMENT IN VARIETY/TALK/NEWS/SPORTS – REGULARLY SCHEDULED PROGRAMMING
DON ROY KING
Saturday Night Live, "Adam Driver; Kanye West"
Mr. King's Directorial Team:
- Associate Directors: Michael Mancini, Michael Poole, Bob Caminiti Stage Managers: Gena Rositano, Chris Kelly
This was Mr. King’s thirteenth DGA Award nomination. He previously won the DGA Award for Outstanding Directorial Achievement in this category for Saturday Night Live, “Host: Jimmy Fallon” in 2017, Saturday Night Live, “Host: Dave Chappelle” in 2016 and for Saturday Night Live “Host: Justin Timberlake” in 2013. Mr. King also won the DGA Award for Variety/Talk/News/Sports – Specials for Saturday Night Live 40th Anniversary Special in 2015. He was previously nominated for Saturday Night Live episodes in 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2014, and in 2015 in the Variety/Talk/News/Sports – Regularly Scheduled Programming category for the Saturday Night Live episode, “Host: Tracy Morgan/Musical Guest: Demi Lovato.”
OUTSTANDING DIRECTORIAL ACHIEVEMENT IN VARIETY/TALK/NEWS/SPORTS – SPECIALS
LOUIS J. HORVITZ
The 60th Grammy Awards
Mr. Horvitz's Directorial Team:
- Associate Directors: Richard A. Preuss, Ron Andreassen, Kate Hollanda, Sabrina Rufo Mishler, Booey Kober
- Stage Managers: Garry Hood, Doug Smith, Benny Almonte, Joey Despenzero, Peter Epstein, John Esposito, Andy Feigin, Doug Fogel, Tyler Goldman, Jeffry Gitter, Phyllis Digilio-Kent, Arthur Lewis, Julie Lorusso, Jeff Markowitz, Seth Mellman, Cyndi Owgang, Jeff Pearl, Alfonso Pena, Annette Powlis, Kyle Ramdeen, Lauren Schneider, Eddie Valk, Karen Tasch Weiss
This was Mr. Horvitz’s nineteenth DGA Award nomination. He won the DGA Award for Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Musical Variety in 1997 for The Kennedy Center Honors. He was also nominated for The Kennedy Center Honors in 1993, 2001, 2009, 2011 and 2014. In 2013, he was nominated for The 55th Annual Grammy Awards and was previously nominated for The 70th, 71st, 72nd, 74th, 75th, 76th, 77th, 79th and 80th Annual Academy Awards, along with Sinatra: 80 Years My Way in 1995 and Live Aid Concert in 1985.
OUTSTANDING DIRECTORIAL ACHIEVEMENT IN REALITY PROGRAMS
The Final Table, "Japan"
Mr. Norman's Directorial Team:
- Associate Director: Carrie Havel
- Lead Stage Manager: Jonathan Marks
- Stage Managers: Daniel Curran, Mickel Picco
This was Mr. Norman's first DGA Award nomination.
OUTSTANDING DIRECTORIAL ACHIEVEMENT IN CHILDREN’S PROGRAMS
Sesame Street, "When You Wish Upon a Pickle: A Sesame Street Special"
Mr. Jameson's Directorial Team:
- Associate Director: Ken Diego
- Stage Managers: Shawn Havens, Mike Walker, Theresa Anderson
This was Mr. Jameson's first DGA Award nomination.
OUTSTANDING DIRECTORIAL ACHIEVEMENT IN COMMERCIALS
Welcome Home, Apple Homepod – TBWA \ Media Arts Lab
- Unit Production Managers: Vincent Landay, Natalie Hill
- First Assistant Director: Thomas Smith
- Second Assistant Directors: Dave Marnell, Robert Kay, Nadeem Ashayer
- Second Second Assistant Director: Jeff Tavani
This was Mr. Jonze's third DGA Award nomination. He was previously nominated in this category in 2006 for Hello Tomorrow (Adidas), Penguin (Miller Beer) and Pardon Our Dust (Gap). He was also nominated for the Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Feature Film Award for Being John Malkovich in 1999.
OUTSTANDING DIRECTORIAL ACHIEVEMENT IN DOCUMENTARY
Three Identical Strangers
(Neon and CNN Films)
This was Mr. Wardle's first DGA Award nomination.
HONORARY LIFE MEMBER & SERVICE AWARD RECIPIENTS
- Lifetime Achievement Award in Television:
Live TV directing legend Don Mischer was the recipient of the DGA Lifetime Achievement Award for Distinguished Achievement in Television Direction.
- DGA Diversity Award
FX Networks was the recipient of the Guild’s 2019 Diversity Award for the network’s commitment to, and leadership in, inclusive hiring in DGA-covered categories.
- Special Service Awards:
Kathleen McGill received the DGA’s 2019 Frank Capra Achievement Award in recognition of career achievement in the industry and service to the Guild.
Mimi (Marian) Deaton received the DGA’s 2019 Franklin J. Schaffner Achievement Award in recognition of career achievement in the industry and service to the Guild.
About the DGA
In the 83 years since its founding in 1936, the DGA has fought for the economic and creative rights of its members; protected their ability to financially benefit from the reuse of their work; established strong pension and health plans; and established jurisdiction in new technologies and distribution platforms. Today we represent more than 17,500 directors and members of the directorial team working in film, television, commercials, new media and other audiovisual media.
All content presented within the SHOOT Publicity Wire (SPW) release section only of SHOOTonline.com is that of the submitter. Information from this SHOOT Publicity Wire (SPW) news release and others posted to SPW may be redistributed in part or in whole by members of the media, bloggers, and cinema, TV, entertainment, film, commercial, online video production and post, celebrity fan sites as per SPW Copyright Notice.
This SPW NewsPage Post is powered by SHOOTonline.com.
SHOOT and SHOOTonline are registered trademarks of DCA Business Media LLC.
MySHOOT Company Profiles
Recent and Tags duplicate
Nov 20, 2019
Nov 19, 2019
"American Factory," "Apollo 11," "One Child Nation" Among Producers Guild Awards’ Documentary Nominees
Nov 19, 2019