- Articles | Series
- Columns | Departments
- Publicity News
- Events Calendar
- Trending Now
- My Membership
SMPTE Hollywood To Highlight Advances in Camera Color Science
- Friday, Aug. 19, 2022
Industry experts from ARRI, Blackmagic Design, Canon, Sony, Picture Shop, Margarita Mix, MTI Film and Arsenal FX Color featured in free event slated for August 25th
SMPTE Hollywood will explore the latest developments in camera color science and their impact on production and post-production at its monthly meeting slated for August 25th at 6pm at the historic Linwood Dunn Theater in Hollywood.
The event will include presentations from leading cinema camera manufacturers, ARRI, Blackmagic Design, Canon and Sony. This will be followed by an open Q&A session with colorists and color scientists from Arsenal FX Color, Margarita Mix, MTI Film and Picture Shop.
Colorist Society (CSI) is the featured sponsor of the event, which is free and open to all. Register here.
- Art Adams Cinema Lens Specialist, ARRI, serves as an evangelist for ARRI's current and future lens products, including Signature Primes and Zooms, Master Primes, Master Anamorphic Primes, Ultra Primes and FSND filters. His previous experience includes 26 years as a cinematographer focused on commercial and visual effects, with occasional forays into corporate marketing, documentary, multi-cam and VR.
- Tyler Rocheleau, Technical Sales Representative, ARRI, represents camera systems, specializing in camera stabilizer systems (CSS). He also works as a camera operator.
- Bob Caniglia, Director of Sales Operations, the Americas, Blackmagic Design directs multiple sales channels for the DaVinci Resolve and Revival product lines. Having begun his career as an editor, producer and director, Caniglia has spent the past 20 years working for production and post production manufacturers, including senior sales roles with Panasonic, Quantel, Snell and DaVinci Systems. He joined Blackmagic Design in 2009.
- Tor Rolf Johansen, Cinematography Product Specialist, Blackmagic Design, is a winner of six Emmy Awards for directing and producing, and one as director of photographer in the Los Angeles market. As a freelance cinematographer and stills photographer, he has worked for clients including Cedars Sinai, MedVa, The Beverly Hilton Hotel, Pinkberry, CJ Jeans, GWP, Neiman Marcus, InStyle Magazine, The Discovery Channel, KCET, ESPN, MTV and The Magic Johnson Foundation.
- Michael Bravin, Fellow-Marketing Operations, Canon Burbank, based out of Canon’s customer experience and training center. He has over 35 years of experience in broadcast, motion picture and television production, beginning as a producer/director, later as a technical engineer, educator, and on-set consultant, and as a technical marketing executive. He is an Associate Member of the ASC and SOC, a member of SMPTE and HPA and a founding member of the Digital Cinema Society.
- David Doko, Technical Specialist, ITCG Marketing Operations, Canon, supports color processing and post workflows for Canon’s cinema products. He promotes HDR reference display use on set and raises awareness of HDR imaging standards and ACES color management for Canon products. He previously worked in post-production at IMAX.
- Simon Marsh, Senior Product Manager, Sony Electronics Solutions America, is responsible for VENICE digital cinema camera. He works directly with engineering and design groups in Japan to define product direction and new features. He also conducts daily interaction with the company’s North American sales and marketing team to demonstrate and promote product solutions to customers and resellers.
- Dan Perry, Sales & Business Development Manager, Sony Electronics Solutions America, manages sales of Sony Professional products on the West Coast and works with production companies as they transition to HD and file based workflows.
- Doug Delaney, Senior Colorist, Picture Shop, has more than 100 credits as a colorist in film and television, including recent projects for Netflix, Hulu and NBC. Prior to joining Picture Shop in 2021, he spent three years at Technicolor. His background also includes posts at Deluxe, Sony Pictures and Post Logic Studios.
- Michael Mintz, CSI, Senior Digital Color Timer at Margarita Mix has been color grading short- and long-form projects for theatrical and broadcast for more than 28 years. He currently serves as Senior Digital Color Timer at Margarita Mix, Hollywood, where his work spans episodic television, features, commercials and music videos. Recent credits include Life Below Zero (BBC Worldwide), Port Protection (National Geographic), Speechless (Fox) and Bless This Mess (Disney). He is also among the founders of Colorist Society Hollywood.
- Steven Porter, Supervising Colorist, at MTI Film, has been a well-respected colorist since 1989. He has worked on many high-proﬁle projects including Showtime's Weeds, a winner of an Emmy Award for Cinematography, and HBO’s miniseries The Paciﬁc, a nominee for an Emmy in Cinematography and winner of a Hollywood Post Alliance (HPA) Award for Outstanding Color Grading.
- Rory Gordon, Senior Colorist, Arsenal FX Color, has a life-long passion for the science and art of image capture. She has worked on more than 20 television series as a colorist. She also writes and speaks regularly on bridging the gap between creative production staff and color scientists for the SMPTE Motion Imaging Journal, the HPA Tech Retreat and others.
Barry Goch and Linda Rosner will moderate.
Who: SMPTE Hollywood
What: Cameras and Color Science
When: Thursday, August 25th
6:00PM: Demos of Cameras, Food and Beverages
Where: Linwood Dunn Theater, Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, Pickford Center for Motion Picture Study, 1313 Vine Street, Hollywood
About the SMPTE® Hollywood Section
The Hollywood Section of SMPTE® was initially organized as the West Coast Section in 1928. Today, as its own SMPTE Region, it encompasses more than 1,200 SMPTE Members with a common interest in motion-imaging technology in the Greater Los Angeles area. The Hollywood Section offers free meetings monthly that are open to SMPTE Members and non-members alike. Information about meetings is posted on the Section website at https://www.smpte.org/sections/hollywood.
SMPTE is the global society of media professionals, technologists, and engineers working in the digital entertainment industry. The Society fosters a diverse and engaged membership from both the technology and creative communities, delivering vast educational offerings, technical conferences and exhibitions, the SMPTE Motion Imaging Journal, and access to a rich network of colleagues essential to their career success. As an internationally recognized standards organization, SMPTE also provides a vital technical framework of engineering standards and guidelines that allow the seamless creation, management, and delivery of media for art, entertainment, and education worldwide.
Information on joining SMPTE is available at smpte.org/join.