1) It’s inspiring to see more purpose and authenticity in work and for these campaigns to be celebrated beyond the context of cause marketing. I expect living and communicating a brand’s values in every piece of work will become the norm rather than the one-off and content that documents what a brand is doing will be on the rise.
2) I thought the “Live Looper” music video by The Academic was brilliant. To use a quirk in a new technology to make content more interesting as it progresses was so clever and the teams executed it perfectly.
3) I’m biased here, but I predict (read: hope) that business will continue to push beyond the mediums we’re used to seeing in advertising. Who knew that a bus, a sculpture, and an astronaut helmet could communicate a message so perfectly? I think the mediums we use to engage audiences will continue to grow and I’m thrilled to be someone who gets to figure out how to do this.
4) See answer to first question.
5) Forget Tesla, if I had money to burn, I’d go for a BlackFly or Kitty Hawk as soon as they became available. It’s mind boggling to me that advances in autonomous cars are happening in parallel to flying cars. And to think, my dad made me drive stick because it would be “useful in the future.”
6) It’s all about finding the right people who are inquisitive, dedicated, and creative. It’s easy to teach mechanics but you can’t teach character. When mentoring new talent, I find it’s most important to be their support system. The best talent will reach and grow if you give them the space and let them know you’re there to support them along the way.