- Articles | Series
- Columns | Departments
- Publicity News
- Events Calendar
- Trending Now
- My Membership
2019 Producers Advice Survey -- Greg Beauchamp
1) What advice do you have for new directors?
2) What advice can you offer to up-and-coming producers?
3) Learning is an ongoing process even for the most seasoned producer. Would you share a recent lesson learned on the job, perhaps related to a project involving new technology (i.e., VR, AR, AI, etc.) or another experience?
4) What recent project are you particularly proud of--and why? You can include a direct link to it.
1) Don’t make a spec commercial; make a short film. The 30-second commercial is a very small segment of the content that is being created. We’re seeing a trend where agencies and brands are looking to directors who are adept at crafting longer-form content, and who really understand the intersection of entertainment and advertising. Often, a director can use longer-form work to garner recognition and awards on the festival circuit or content platforms (Vimeo Staff Pick, Short of the Week). All of this helps to fill in their story during a pitch.
2) This business is comprised of two things: people and ideas. It’s important to find the collaborators who you love working with, and who have a vision that you really want to help bring to life. The good days will be even more rewarding, and it’s amazing how much more energy and perspective you will have for the tough days when those elements are in place.
3) I’m constantly surprised by the things we have to learn as producers. This week I learned that it’s essential to clear craft service before bringing the wolf onto set. Now I’m trying to learn what happened for them to be so adamant about that rule.
4) We just premiered Plus One at Tribeca where we won the Audience Award. I’m really proud of the film we made, and it’s a good reminder that you can’t let great ideas die. We started working on this project 5 years ago, and got a lot of “no’s” along the way. Our team stayed passionate and persistent and it’s incredible to finally share it with audiences and receive such a warm response. Shameless plug: Look for it in theaters on June 14!