Facebook Twitter Instagram LinkedIn RSS
    Facebook Twitter Instagram LinkedIn RSS
    SHOOTonline SHOOTonline SHOOTonline
    Register
    • Home
    • News
      • MySHOOT
      • Articles | Series
        • Best work
        • Chat Room
        • Director Profiles
        • Features
        • News Briefs
        • “The Road To Emmy”
        • “The Road To Oscar”
        • Top Spot
        • Top Ten Music Charts
        • Top Ten VFX Charts
      • Columns | Departments
        • Earwitness
        • Hot Locations
        • Legalease
        • People on the Move
        • POV (Perspective)
        • Rep Reports
        • Short Takes
        • Spot.com.mentary
        • Street Talk
        • Tool Box
        • Flashback
      • Screenwork
        • MySHOOT
        • Most Recent
        • Featured
        • Top Spot of the Week
        • Best Work You May Never See
        • New Directors Showcase
      • SPW Publicity News
        • SPW Release
        • SPW Videos
        • SPW Categories
        • Event Calendar
        • About SPW
      • Subscribe
    • Screenwork
      • Attend NDS2024
      • MySHOOT
      • Most Recent
      • Most Viewed
      • New Directors Showcase
      • Best work
      • Top spots
    • Trending
    • NDS2024
      • NDS Web Reel & Honorees
      • Become NDS Sponsor
      • ENTER WORK
      • ATTEND
    • PROMOTE
      • ADVERTISE
        • ALL AD OPTIONS
        • SITE BANNERS
        • NEWSLETTERS
        • MAGAZINE
        • CUSTOM E-BLASTS
      • FYC
        • ACADEMY | GUILDS
        • EMMY SEASON
        • CUSTOM E-BLASTS
      • NDS SPONSORSHIP
    • Contact
    • Subscribe
      • Digital ePubs Only
      • PDF Back Issues
      • Log In
      • Register
    SHOOTonline SHOOTonline SHOOTonline
    Home » FCC’s Brendan Carr Says The Agency Is Investigating ABC’s “The View” Over Equal Time Rule

    FCC’s Brendan Carr Says The Agency Is Investigating ABC’s “The View” Over Equal Time Rule

    By SHOOTThursday, February 19, 2026No Comments4 Views     In 2 day(s) login required to view this post. REGISTER HERE for FREE UNLIMITED ACCESS.
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Telegram Pinterest Tumblr Reddit WhatsApp Email
    Federal Communications Commission chairman Brendan Carr testifies before the House Committee on Energy and Commerce, Subcommittee on Communications and Technology oversight hearing of the Federal Communications Commission on Capitol Hill in Washington, Jan. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Jose Luis Magana, File)

    By Meg Kinnard

    WASHINGTON (AP) --

    The Federal Communications Commission is investigating ABC’s “The View” over possible violations of the requirement that broadcast stations give equal time to political candidates when they appear on-air, according to the head of the agency that oversees U.S. broadcast airwaves.

    “The FCC has an enforcement action underway on that,” Chairman Brendan Carr told reporters after an agency meeting Wednesday, in response to a question about whether there were an investigation into the daytime series over potential violations of the “equal time” rule. “And we’re taking a look at it.”

    James Talarico, a Democratic candidate for the Senate in Texas, appeared on “The View” on Feb. 2. U.S. Rep. Jasmine Crockett, who is running against Talarico for the nomination, has also been on the show.

    The Trump administration has taken steps to clamp down on talk shows, which the FCC has suggested may be “motivated by partisan purposes.” Earlier in the week, late-night host Stephen Colbert said CBS executives had pulled an appearance by Talarico on his program over fears it ran afoul of equal time provisions.

    The FCC issued new guidance in January to late-night and daytime hosts that they needed to give political candidates equal time. There are exceptions to the rule, including for newscasts, “bona fide” interview programs, and coverage of live events or documentaries. Carr has raised questions about the talk show exemption and whether it should stand.

    “The FCC has not been presented with any evidence that the interview portion of any late night or daytime television talk show program on air presently would qualify for the bona fide news exemption,” according to the agency’s public notice last month.

    Carr, a Trump appointee, suggested last year that investigating “The View,” whose hosts have frequently been critical of the Republican president, might be “worthwhile.”

    The FCC has not responded to a message seeking comment on “The View” or Colbert’s show.

    On Wednesday, Carr said watching the fallout from Colbert’s characterization of what happened with Talarico “was probably one of the most fun days I’ve had in the job,” adding that the candidate “took advantage” of media attention “apparently for the purpose of raising money and getting clicks.”

    The equal time provision applies only to broadcast, not streaming or internet programs. Colbert later posted the Talarico interview to YouTube, where it’s been viewed more than 7.5 million times — several times what the comic’s CBS program draws each night.

    Talarico reported that he had raised $2.5 million in campaign donations in the 24 hours after the Colbert interview.

    A spokesperson for “The View” on Thursday declined to comment on Carr’s statement.

    CBS says Colbert was provided “legal guidance” that broadcasting the interview with Talarico could trigger the equal time rule. Colbert said on his show Tuesday night that while Carr said in January he was thinking about getting rid of the exemption for late-night talk shows, “CBS generously did it for him.”

    You have limited-time access to this page, (Access is valid until: 2026-02-21)
    Category:News
    Tags:ABCBrendan CarrFCCThe View



    Producer and Director Max Kane Joins Cloud Forest

    Thursday, February 19, 2026

    Cloud Forest has brought producer and director Max Kane on board, marking a key addition to the company’s growing leadership team.

    Kane will work across creative development, production and postproduction, writing scripts, directing fast-turn branded films, running shoots, coordinating editors, VFX artists and animators, and overseeing dozens of projects in post. He brings a background spanning business affairs, physical production and independent filmmaking to Cloud Forest as it continues to scale its work across brand, commercial and corporate projects.

    “I’ve always been drawn to storytelling and the business behind it,” said Kane. “Cloud Forest is the perfect place to combine everything I’ve been building toward, creative work, business growth, and being a part of something long-term. The impact here is immediate, and I’m given a real voice and creative input, with the opportunity to grow with the company rather than service it. I’m involved from concept through delivery, while helping shape how the company grows alongside Matthew [Forrest, founder and EP of Cloud Forest], who has shot everywhere from L.A. to the Swiss Alps, and whom I deeply respect and admire.”

    Prior to joining Cloud Forest, Kane spent several years at Anonymous Content working across business affairs and production, where he honed a deep understanding of how projects are developed, financed and executed, experience that now informs his approach to building scalable creative and production systems. During his time there, he contributed to projects like Nickel Boys, which was nominated for the Best Picture Oscar in 2025, Foe, directed by Garth Davis, and Swan Song, starring Mahershala Ali. As production coordinator at... Read More

    No More Posts Found

    MySHOOT Profiles

    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Telegram Pinterest Tumblr Reddit WhatsApp Email

    Previous ArticleReview: Polly Findlay Makes Feature Directorial Debut With “Midwinter Break” 
    SHOOT

    Add A Comment
    What's Hot

    FCC’s Brendan Carr Says The Agency Is Investigating ABC’s “The View” Over Equal Time Rule

    Thursday, February 19, 2026

    Review: Polly Findlay Makes Feature Directorial Debut With “Midwinter Break” 

    Thursday, February 19, 2026

    Producer and Director Max Kane Joins Cloud Forest

    Thursday, February 19, 2026
    Shoot Screenwork

    Top Spot of the Week: Casey House, Bensimon Byrne, Director Hubert Davis Team On Short To Help Smash HIV Stigma

    Thursday, February 19, 2026

    Casey House, a hospital providing care for people living with and at risk of HIV,…

    FactSet, The Docter Twins and VSA Partners Land “Big Fish” In Comedy Campaign Promoting Purpose-Built AI For Finance

    Wednesday, February 18, 2026

    The Best Work You May Never See: The Garden, Director Jason van Bruggen “Face the Unimaginable” For Childhood Cancer Canada

    Tuesday, February 17, 2026

    Framestore Pictures’ Director Rich Lee Brings Human Touch To Trailer For Resident Evil: Requiem

    Monday, February 16, 2026

    The Trusted Source For News, Information, Industry Trends, New ScreenWork, and The People Behind the Work in Film, TV, Commercial, Entertainment Production & Post Since 1960.

    Today's Date: Fri May 26 2023
    Facebook Twitter Instagram LinkedIn RSS
    More Info
    • Overview
    • Upcoming in SHOOT Magazine
    • Advertise
    • Privacy Policy
    • SHOOT Copyright Notice
    • SPW Copyright Notice
    • Spam Policy
    • Terms of Service (TOS)
    • FAQ
    STAY CURRENT

    SUBSCRIBE TO SHOOT EPUBS

    © 1990-2021 DCA Business Media LLC. All rights reserved. SHOOT and SHOOTonline are registered trademarks of DCA Business Media LLC.
    • Home
    • Trending Now

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.