- Articles | Series
- Columns | Departments
- Publicity News
- Events Calendar
- PDF Back Issues
- Trending Now
- My Membership
Holiday Survey Reports TV Ads Influence Most Gift Buying Decisions
- Wednesday, Dec. 5, 2018
Walmart Edges Out Amazon as America's Favorite Advertiser to Help Shoppers Find Gifts
Bospar, the boutique PR firm that puts tech companies on the map, announced today the results of its Holiday Media and Advertising Survey. The survey found that 76 percent of Americans are influenced by advertising when making holiday purchasing decisions, including 23 percent who are “highly influenced.”
The survey of more than 1,000 U.S. adults ages 18 and up, conducted online by Propeller Insights on behalf of Bospar in November of 2018, also found that Millennials (83 percent) are most influenced by advertising, while seniors (54 percent) are least influenced.
TV Advertising Has Still Got It
The majority of Americans (93 percent) expect the same or more advertising this holiday season than last year. Nearly half (47 percent) will get the most holiday shopping sale scoops from TV advertising; few Americans (9 percent) will get them from national news.
Where else will they get holiday sale news?
- Online retailers — 44 percent
- Online deals and coupon sites — 42 percent
- Newspaper ads — 40 percent
- Facebook — 34 percent
- Mobile ads — 27 percent
- Local news — 22 percent
- YouTube — 20 percent
The survey also found that Americans think Walmart (64 percent) offers the best advertising to help them decide on what gifts to buy, followed closely by Amazon (61 percent), Target (42 percent), Best Buy (33 percent), Macy’s (18 percent) and Home Depot (11 percent).
"While retailers have flocked to mobile and social media advertising, the heart of America is still heavily swayed by TV ads,” said Brent Shelton, online shopping expert with Bospar. “This is quite telling, since two of the hottest holiday gifts of the last few years have been 4K TVs and video game console bundles.”
What Role Does the Media Play in Gift Buying?
A majority of Americans (92 percent) also expect the same or more media coverage about holiday shopping this year as last year, and three-quarters (75 percent) say their purchasing decisions are influenced by the media covering holiday and gift topics. Millennials (80 percent) are most influenced by holiday media coverage, while seniors (58 percent) are least influenced.
Good Morning America (23 percent) tops the list of morning shows Americans watch to get holiday gift ideas. This is followed by:
- Local news morning shows — 19 percent
- Today Show — 18 percent
- CBS This Morning — 14 percent
- Fox and Friends — 14 percent
- The View — 10 percent
- The Talk — 9 percent
Finally, the study found that most Americans (65 percent) say video reviews have some influence on their holiday gift ideas. Millennials (75 percent) are most influenced by video reviews, while seniors (42 percent) are least influenced.
About Propeller Insights
Propeller Insights is a full-service market research firm based in Los Angeles. Using quantitative and qualitative methodologies to measure and analyze marketplace and consumer opinions, the company works extensively across industries such as travel, brand intelligence, entertainment/media, retail and consumer packaged goods.
Bospar is a boutique tech PR firm featuring a team of highly seasoned professionals who exist to put tech companies on the map. Bospar’s principals include a long-time PR and tech industry guru, a former broadcast TV producer and award-winning media maven, a standout PR agency manager from the corporate side of a leading global law firm, and an experienced executive with both large agency and public company credentials. Bospar’s larger team includes experts in both social and traditional media, as well as financial and analyst relations and public affairs.
- All Completes: http://surveys.propellerinsights.com/r/445431_5bb91a17ee6d35.31369580
- Gender Breakdown: http://surveys.propellerinsights.com/r/445431_5bbb9a433becb3.57291648
- Age Breakdown: http://surveys.propellerinsights.com/r/445431_5bbb9a45dcc171.70445259
- Ethnicity Breakdown: http://surveys.propellerinsights.com/r/445431_5bbb9a48bebd44.00271191
- Regional Breakdown: http://surveys.propellerinsights.com/r/445431_5bbb9a4b3904a1.52909521
- Political Affiliation Breakdown: http://surveys.propellerinsights.com/r/445431_5bbb9a4d876d01.07533363
- Sexual Orientation Breakdown: http://surveys.propellerinsights.com/r/445431_5bbb9a509e03f9.29258918
- Income Breakdown: http://surveys.propellerinsights.com/r/445431_5bbb9a53920459.80877689
- Education Breakdown: http://surveys.propellerinsights.com/r/445431_5bbb9a566b9679.38285472