Friday, September 21, 2018

News Briefs

Displaying 81 - 90 of 3188
  • Thursday, Jul. 26, 2018
Kennedy Center honors for Cher, Reba McEntire, Phillip Glass, Wayne Shorter, "Hamilton"
In this Aug. 21, 2016, file photo, singer and actress Cher stops to talk to media as she leaves a fundraiser for Hillary Clinton at the Pilgrim Monument and Provincetown Museum in Provincetown, Mass. (AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster, File)
WASHINGTON (AP) -- 

Cher, composer Phillip Glass, country music star Reba McEntire and jazz legend Wayne Shorter will be honored for lifetime achievements in the arts at this year's Kennedy Center Honors.

The national arts center also announced Wednesday a special award for the genre-bending musical "Hamilton," as part of the gala set for Dec. 2.

Before last year's program, several honorees threatened a boycott if President Donald Trump attended. He and first lady Melania Trump decided to skip the event "to allow the honorees to celebrate without any political distraction," as the White House put it.

The White House said it's too early to know whether Trump will participate in this year's ceremony. Trump may attend the Group of 20 summit in Argentina, which ends Dec. 1.

Glass said he hopes Trump does show up as a conciliatory gesture to the arts community.

"If he were to come, it would represent a real broadening of his perspective," Glass said. "American arts really is our biggest contribution to the world, far more than our politics."

Last year, the Kennedy Center's president, Deborah F. Rutter, publicly thanked Trump for allowing the night to focus solely on the arts and the honorees. But she also said she hoped to see the president attend in the future.

"I always hope that the person in that office makes a point of showing as much support for American arts and culture as his predecessors did and as his successors will," Rutter said in an interview.

The "Hamilton" honor marks a first-time honor for a specific piece of art, and a first for a contemporary work. The award will go to the four main creators of the musical: writer and actor Lin-Manuel Miranda, director Thomas Kail, choreographer Andy Blankenbuehler and music director Alex Lacamoire.

The musical is playing at the Kennedy Center through mid-September.

"This work has had such a huge impact in such a short time. It not only changed the way that people think about art, it changed the way they think about history and the storytelling of history," said Rutter, who didn't think awards like this would become regular events. "We felt it was important to honor it in real time and not 30 years in the future."

The four men said in a statement that the honor was "humbling beyond our wildest expectations for our show."

One of the special aspects of the Kennedy Center program is that each recipient is given a personalized introduction and performance by participants kept secret from the honoree.

McEntire has served as one of those surprises for four past honorees: Dolly Parton, Loretta Lynn, Lily Tomlin and Carol Burnett.

"When the curtain went up, I could see the surprise in their eyes," she said. "I can't wait to see who they come up with for me."

  • Thursday, Jul. 26, 2018
AMC reinstates "Talking Dead" host Chris Hardwick
In this July 21, 2017 file photo, Chris Hardwick moderates the "Fear The Walking Dead" panel at Comic-Con International in San Diego. (Photo by Al Powers/Invision/AP, File)
NEW YORK (AP) -- 

AMC host Chris Hardwick is returning to work after a review of sexual assault allegations against him by a former girlfriend.

The network says returning Hardwick to work at "Talking Dead" and "Talking with Chris Hardwick" is the "appropriate step" after a review that included interviews with numerous people.

It says Hardwick will return to "Talking Dead" Aug. 12. Substitute host Yvette Nicole Brown will be interim guest host of "The Walking Dead Season 9 Preview Special" on Aug. 5, and a guest on "Talking Dead" on Aug. 12.

Hardwick has acknowledged that an online post by his ex-girlfriend Chloe Dykstra alleging she had been sexually assaulted and emotionally abused referred to him. He has denied the allegations but has said the couple's three-year relationship was imperfect and included arguments.

  • Wednesday, Jul. 25, 2018
HBO's "Deadwood" series to get new life as TV movie
In this Feb. 9, 2005 file photo, David Milch, left, creator of the HBO series "Deadwood," appears on the set with Larry Cedar, center, and Peter Jason in Santa Clarita, Calif. (AP Photo/Kevork Djansezian, File)
BEVERLY HILLS, Calif.(AP) -- 

"Deadwood" fans can exhale.

HBO says it's greenlighted a long-discussed movie based on the Western drama that ended a dozen years ago.

HBO programming chief Casey Bloys said Wednesday that production is scheduled to begin in October. An air date has yet to be set but it could debut in spring 2019, he said.

Bloys told a TV critics' meeting it was a logistical "nightmare" getting the ensemble cast's schedules to align, but it finally worked out.

The critically acclaimed, award-winning "Deadwood" was set in the rough-and-tumble South Dakota mining town of the title.

The series aired from 2004-06 with stars including Timothy Olyphant, Ian McShane and Molly Parker.

It was created by David Milch, known for his work on the contemporary police dramas "NYPD Blue" and "Hill Street Blues."

  • Wednesday, Jul. 25, 2018
"2HEARTS" wraps lensing in Vancouver, moves to Hawaii
“2HEARTS cast members (l-r) Adan Canto, Radha Mitchell, Tiera Skovbye and Jacob Elordi at the Alohilani Resort (photo by Kharen Hill/Silver Lion Films)

Silver Lion Films announced that 2HEARTS concluded filming in Vancouver, British Columbia.  The shoot now moves to Honolulu, Hawaii, for its final week of principal photography.
 
2HEARTS contains parallel tales that forge bonds between people never meant to meet. The movie stars charismatic young Australian, Jacob Elordi (The Kissing Booth). He plays Chris Gregory, a college freshman who falls madly in love with a caring classmate, Tiera Skovbye (Riverdale). In another place and time, Adan Canto (Narcos), a Cuban exile, falls in love with a charmingly beautiful flight attendant, Radha Mitchell (Man on Fire).

“The film explores two great love stories that come together in a truly unique way,” said director/producer Lance Hool.

This romantic drama, loosely based on a true story, is a Hool family collaboration with Lance Hool, producer Conrad Hool, casting director Carla Hool, singer-songwriter Brett Hool, and co-producer and first time writing for the big screen, Veronica Hool.  
 
Silver Lion Films is an independent film production and finance company established in 1987 by producers and brothers Lance and Conrad Hool. Next year will mark the 50th year the Hool brothers have been working in the film industry. Veronica Hool, of the next generation, is Silver Lion’s VP of development. The Hools are also owners of Santa Fe Studios, in Santa Fe, New Mexico.

  • Wednesday, Jul. 25, 2018
Vanessa Redgrave to receive career prize at Venice Film Fest
In this file photo dated Thursday, June 21, 2018, British actress Vanessa Redgrave pose during the presentation of her new documentary movie 'Sea Sorrow', in Milan, Italy. Redgrave will receive the prestigious Golden Lion career prize during this year’s Venice Film Festival. (AP Photo/Luca Bruno, FILE)
ROME (AP) -- 

British actress Vanessa Redgrave will receive the prestigious Golden Lion career prize at this year's Venice Film Festival.

Each year, the Venice Biennale awards two prizes to celebrate careers in cinema, one to a movie director and one to an actor or actress. Together with Redgrave, Canadian filmmaker David Cronenberg will receive the Golden Lion at the festival, which runs Aug. 29-Sept. 8.

Redgrave, a six-time Oscar-nominated actress, won the Academy Award in 1978 for her performance in "Julia." She won a Tony Award for best actress in a play for "Long Day's Journey into Night" in 2003.

In a statement released Tuesday by organizers, Redgrave said she was "extraordinarily happy" to learn about the prize.

Venice festival organizers are to release the lineup for the film festival on Wednesday.

  • Tuesday, Jul. 24, 2018
Netflix to open in Spain its first European production hub
MADRID (AP) -- 

Netflix says it's establishing in Spain its first content production hub on European soil as the online video entertainment platform tries to expand in different languages.

A company statement Tuesday says the new production center in the outskirts of Madrid will initially occupy close to a quarter of the 22,000 square-meter production hub currently under construction by Grupo Secuoya, a leading Spanish media company.

It says the studios are expected to be operational in September and will help Netflix's "growing slate of Spanish-language original content," including new and existing titles, co-produced or undertaken by Netflix alone.

Netflix is about to release the third season of Cable Girls, produced entirely in Spain, and has recently signed a deal with the creators of Money Heist, its most watched non-English language show.

  • Monday, Jul. 23, 2018
Golden Globe Awards set for Jan. 6, well ahead of Oscars
In this Jan. 7, 2018 file photo, media and crew appear on the red carpet at the 75th annual Golden Globe Awards in Beverly Hills, Calif. The Hollywood Foreign Press Association said Monday, July 23, that the 76th annual awards ceremony will be held Jan. 6, 2019. (Photo by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP, File)
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- 

The Hollywood Foreign Press Association says it has picked a date for next year's Golden Globe Awards.

The association said Monday that the 76th annual awards ceremony will be held Jan. 6 in Beverly Hills, California, its usual posh setting.

Nominations for the Golden Globes movie and television categories will be announced Dec. 6.

The Globes, once dismissed by critics for some puzzling movie nominees, increasingly are in step with the Academy Awards.

The academy previously announced the Oscars will be held Feb. 24, 2019.

The Hollywood Foreign Press Association says its members represent 56 countries.

  • Monday, Jul. 23, 2018
Papa John's tries to prevent founder from gaining control
This July 17, 2018, file photo, shows the corporate headquarters of Papa John's pizza located on their campus, in Louisville, Ky. Papa John’s is adopting a shareholder rights plan as it looks to safeguard against its disgraced founder possibly attempting to take control of the pizza chain. (AP Photo/Timothy D. Easley, File)
LOUISVILLE, Ky (AP) -- 

Papa John's is attempting to ward off its controversial founder from amassing a controlling stake in the company by adopting a "poison-pill" plan.

The company is struggling to distance itself from John Schnatter, who resigned as chairman this month after his use of a racial slur during a media training session was revealed. Schnatter has since said his resignation was a "mistake" and criticized the company's handling of the incident.

Papa John's, based in Louisville, Kentucky, said its shareholder rights plan would be activated if anyone acquires 15 percent or more of outstanding shares without board approval. The plan works by letting shareholders buy additional stock at a discounted price, which in turn would dilute the acquirer's shares.

Papa John's said Schnatter and his affiliates, who currently own more than 30 percent of shares, have been grandfathered into the plan. But they will be considered an acquiring party if they amass 31 or more of shares, the company said.

The company said the plan won't keep its board from considering any offer that is fair and in the best interest of shareholders.

Schnatter, who founded the company in 1984, had already stepped down late last year as CEO after blaming disappointing pizza sales on the NFL's handling of the player protests during the national anthem. After this month's controversy, Papa John's said it would start scrubbing Schnatter's image from its marketing materials and that it is evaluating all ties with him.

Schnatter remains on the company board.

After reporting Schnatter's use of a racial slur, Forbes published another story last week detailing a corporate culture where women were subject to sexist behavior. The magazine said male employees made crude comments without consequence, and that executives were rewarded based on their personal ties to Schnatter.

A representative for Schnatter said the story contains "numerous inaccuracies and misrepresentations."

In a note to investors Monday, Stifel analyst Chris O'Cull said the outlook for Papa John's is "growing dimmer" and that media reports are reinforcing the public perception that it's not a trusted brand.

Shares of Papa John's International Inc. are down more than 30 percent over the past year.

  • Monday, Jul. 23, 2018
Activist to star as TV's first transgender superhero
In this Sunday, June 26, 2016 photo Nicole Maines poses at her home in Portland, Maine. (AP Photo/Robert F. Bukaty)
BURBANK, Calif. (AP) -- 

A transgender activist who won a discrimination lawsuit after her school refused to let her use the girls' bathroom will be TV's first transgender superhero.

Nicole Maines will star in The CW/Warner Bros.' "Supergirl" as Nia Nal, aka Dreamer. Producers describe her character as a "soulful young transgender woman with a fierce drive to protect others."

Maines gained national attention for her battle against her Orono, Maine school district over her right to use the girls' bathroom.

Maine's highest court ruled in 2014 that school officials violated state anti-discrimination law when they required her to use a staff restroom.

It was the first time a state high court concluded that a transgender person should use the bathroom of the gender with which they identify.

  • Saturday, Jul. 21, 2018
Actor Riz Ahmed praises Sandra Oh as a diversity trailblazer
Riz Ahmed attends the "Venom" press line on day two of Comic-Con International on Friday, July 20, 2018, in San Diego. (Photo by Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP)
SAN DIEGO, Calif. (AP) -- 

Riz Ahmed, who shattered glass ceilings as the first Asian man to win an acting Emmy, is celebrating fellow trailblazer Sandra Oh.

The "Grey's Anatomy" actress became the first nominee of Asian descent in the leading drama actress category when Emmy nominations were announced earlier this month.

"I'm incredibly happy for her. Massively well deserved," Ahmed said Friday at Comic-Con. "I think we're living in a moment where we are all realizing that it's not enough to just carry on with business as usual. If we just sleep walk forward, we can end up walking off a cliff and I think a lot of people think we've done that politically, both in Europe and in America."

Last year, Ahmed took home an Emmy for "The Night Of." Oh received five bids for "Grey's" and has earned critical praise as a spy hunter in BBC America's "Killing Eve."

Comic-Con attendees got a look at Ahmed's upcoming Spider-Man spinoff "Venom." His co-star is Tom Hardy.

MySHOOT Profiles


Editor
David Orr
Director
Josh Ausley DP
Cinematographer

MySHOOT Company Profiles